throwback week

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    txramsfan is offline Registered User

Does anyone else realize?

I've been browsing through threads hoping someone else would come up with this nugget of clarity but maybe it's just me so I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone else has the same thought.

How in the world do you expect the Rams to stop anyone when the secondary, already just ok to start with, is decimated? I mean please. look who has been out starting all season:

Butler
    Fisher
    Groce
    Archuleta

These guys weren't all pro to begin with, then you replace them with rookies and people who haven't played much. Geez, we have a former WR starting at S. Our run defense is bad already, so when you lose the secondary, with the WR's that Arizona has, heck I think even Heath Shuler could have had a big day yesterday.

Then, you take out Bulger, Holt, Bruce, at critical points of the year and put two rookies on the O line and everyone STILL expects wins and STILL says we have Super Bowl talent?

Wake up people. Sometimes we as fans have to face reality. It isn't our year, way too many injuries this year. It happens. Ride this year out, don't have such high expectations and hope that whatever shakes out of all this turmoil puts the Rams in the right direction.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Does anyone else realize?

Frankly, i thought johnson and bartell did pretty well. We didnt give up anything big over the top and boldin and fitz are as good as it gets.

To me, the issue all year has been a complete and total lack of any kind of pass rush. Leonard Little, doubled or not, did nothing yesterday. Warner had all day to throw, as did haselbeck, as did eli manning etc. Without pressure on the qb, any secondary is going to have issues and for sure, ours most than many others.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Well, due to inexperience and lack of S help, the Rams had them playing way too far off the ball. Which, maybe you are right, that they may not have had such a bad day but they didn't do anything to stop Arizona either. Man, to allow that TE to make that play was a killer.

Coakley and Claiborne just haven't done it this year. Vikings fans warned us that Claiborne couldn't play. Fortunately, he only has a three year contract and his bonus was 3.6 million so the dead money wouldn't linger if he was let go. Also, Coakley only has a 3 million bonus but a 5 year contract. The dead money associated with that wouldn't be dramatic if let go either.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Coakley and Claiborne just haven't done it this year.
    So what's your response to the knowledge that they haven't been on the field much? Bill Coats reported that Coakley and Claiborne were in for fewer than half the snaps against Seattle, and that's been the case for most of the season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I know one play claiborne was on the field for, and that was the ball that went literally through his hands on the first play of the second half that instead went for a 35 yard gain. Nice play to intercept it, at the least he has to knock it down.

I think the book is out of both clairborne and coakley, but clearly, neither of them are going to be impact players for us. An upgrade over what we had last year? Sure, but to repeat my prior post, In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

TX that has to be it right, I mean it could not be Warner rip them a new. It can't be that Warner can play, no thats not it we sink. They don't even have a running game, we new they were going to pass and he still rip them apart.

rampete Guest

...It isn't our year, way too many injuries this year. It happens...

exactly, injuries happen to all teams...

the seahawks were decimated on the defensive side with a starting DT, MLB and FS out. yet, they dominated the rams and held us to 16 pts...

the gridbirds were decimated, their o-line is worse than ours due to injures. the injury list on game day was far worse for them than us but we still managed to play like JV...

somtimes, it's more than just injuries that can bring a team down...i think it may have to do with lack of leadership, which is what's needed to face adversity and prevail...our defense lacks passion and drive...and i blame that on the lack of leadership, mainly marmie...

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    TX that has to be it right, I mean it could not be Warner rip them a new. It can't be that Warner can play, no thats not it we sink. They don't even have a running game, we new they were going to pass and he still rip them apart.
    When Warner has time he can pick teams apart, ESPECIALLY when you have rookies and inexperienced CB's in the backfield.

This topic isn't about Warner though. Start one in the general thread if you wish.

I was trying to point out the YEAR the Rams were having, not the GAME against Arizona...

Quote Originally Posted by rampete
    exactly, injuries happen to all teams...

the seahawks were decimated on the defensive side with a starting DT, MLB and FS out. yet, they dominated the rams and held us to 16 pts...

the gridbirds were decimated, their o-line is worse than ours due to injures. the injury list on game day was far worse for them than us but we still managed to play like JV...

somtimes, it's more than just injuries that can bring a team down...i think it may have to do with lack of leadership, which is what's needed to face adversity and prevail...our defense lacks passion and drive...and i blame that on the lack of leadership, mainly marmie...
    Well ok pete, but did Seattle lose their HC during the year? Did Seattle have all the turmoil the Rams have had this year?

Why do some of you think that the post was about one game instead of the whole year? Is my writing that bad?

rampete Guest

Well ok pete, but did Seattle lose their HC during the year? Did Seattle have all the turmoil the Rams have had this year?

Why do some of you think that the post was about one game instead of the whole year? Is my writing that bad?
    oh come now, i did graduate 6th grade, i'll have you know...

i must've missed the sentence about the HC variable...

you may've already done researh on seattle but they're one or two seasons away from imploding too...if the walrus-man doesn't go deep into the playoff he may be gone too...hamlin their best defender has head trauma from a bar fight and is on IR...rhodes their DC has had two strokes in the past three mos. which is a telling sign that he's living on borrowed time...all of these may pale in comparison to the rams debacle this season but they're not far behind the curve...

Fine, that's a good debate. When the Hawks were going through all that turmoil, they missed the playoffs also three years ago. Hey, it happens. It really wasn't that long ago the Rams missed the playoffs almost ten years straight. I can remember when we were getting compared to the Bengals as being the worst team in the NFC.

Seattle has one of the best O lines in the league. They have a rejuvenated Alexander who is having a banner year. The Hawks are more talented than the Rams. So comparing them to the Rams this year isn't apples to oranges.

I just hate it that my thread was compared to one game, the Cardinals game, because of Warner. It wasn't meant to be about that game.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So comparing them to the Rams this year isn't apples to oranges.
    Not to mention their biggest offseason acquisition IMHO.....Ruskell. It's amazing what a team can do when they clean out their FO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rampete Guest

I just hate it that my thread was compared to one game, the Cardinals game, because of Warner. It wasn't meant to be about that game.
    i could really care less about warner and his ascendancy into folklore...

my point is that it's debatable when you use the injury-factor to buffer what the rams have done this season...

Not to mention their biggest offseason acquisition IMHO.....Ruskell. It's amazing what a team can do when they clean out their FO.
    nice point...

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Butler is the only player on that list that is worth mentioning.

Injuries are factors that every team must deal with. The pats have dealt with them successfully. Why is that?

My guess is that it is personnel decisions.

The Rams make too many poor decisions with personnel.

Yea, the Rams have made some bad personnel decisions. Funny thing though, when the players were drafted they weren't that bad on the surface.

DLew was one of the top DT's coming out of college. Polley was a stud LB in college and Thomas was an All American out of UCLA and held the High School record for tackles. What happened to these guys is anyone's guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast