Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rams4Life is offline Registered User

Does anyone really want Chillar back?

I mean, this guy took a beating on several Rams boards before this season. Now all of a sudden it seems allot of folks want him back.

To me, the Rams can do allot better. His season was ok, but not great. He may get better, but i don't know. I think Karlos Dansby of the Cards is a FA thus far and the Rams should pursue him. I think the Rams will sign a LB in free agency and draft one as well.

Will anyone here really miss Chillar?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Does anyone really want Chillar back?

This was his first decent season with us and it came in a contract year. Up until this year, I thought he was a below average player. I wouldn't mind keeping him, but I also don't want the Rams breaking the bank for him. I certainly don't think he's worth it. At this point in their careers- I think Dansby is a more solid player.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Yeah...the post above me is right.

Why would we put ourselves in a difficult situation with the cap salary?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If you are asking me would I take Dansby over Chillar for the same money, my answer is yes, without hesitation. But that's a pipe dream. Dansby is going to command a very high salary, while Chillar will be paid far less.

Chillar is a solid player. If the Rams can sign him to a reasonsble deal to retain him before FA starts and a potential bidding war ensues, I'm all for it. He's 25 and improving, and players like that should be retained.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If you are asking me would I take Dansby over Chillar for the same money, my answer is yes, without hesitation. But that's a pipe dream. Dansby is going to command a very high salary, while Chillar will be paid far less.

Chillar is a solid player. If the Rams can sign him to a reasonsble deal to retain him before FA starts and a potential bidding war ensues, I'm all for it. He's 25 and improving, and players like that should be retained.

I guess youre right about the whole Dansby issue. If we could sign Chillar for a reasonable price, it would be great. But if he is demanding a high salary, I dont think we should stress out about him.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Chillar doesn't excite me. If he walks he walks.

2005- 53 tackles,0 sacks, 0 int's, 1 FF, 1 Pd (16 games)
    2006- 57 tackles, 2 sacks, 0 ints, 1 FF, 1 Pd (16 games)
    2007- 67 tackles, 2.5 sacks, 0 ints, 3 FF, 3 Pd (15 games)

He has shown gradual improvement. Haslett has the answer.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Chillar's not coming back. Not a lot of legitimate SAMs on the market. He'll draw more than this team wants to pay, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Chillar's not coming back. Not a lot of legitimate SAMs on the market. He'll draw more than this team wants to pay, IMO.
    HUb,

Who are the top 5 SAMS in the NFL in your opinion? Just looking for some comparisons for Chillar.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

Chillar Belong With A Stricked 3-4 Team, I Think Were Holding Him Back From Success To Be Honest.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Rumor has it Dansby wants at least $15 million in guaranteed money. So I doubt the Rams pursue him. As Av pointed out, signing an improving Chillar for less money and not adding another position of need to the Offseason To Do list would be preferable. Even if Chillar isn't a stud, he's a two-down player at a position where you really don't need to be spending mega bucks. We'd be better off resigning him and not giving ourselves something else to address by letting him walk.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

If We Signed Bennett To A $30mill, We Can Also Signed Dansby Who We Really Really Need.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I would love to see Chillar back in horns. A developing player that's been through the system since day dot.

He's not the best linebacker in the NFL, but he's done a very solid job tbis year and has proven to be consistent and improving.

That said, do not overpay. Chances are, at 25, he'll see his potential to make a motza in such a weak SAM market.

If We Signed Bennett To A $30mill, We Can Also Signed Dansby Who We Really Really Need.
    Haha, no we can't, even if we wanted to. The salary cap is in place to prevent teams from overspending, and thus obtaining dynasty status because they have the most money, and therefore can afford the best players.

You have to take into account that with the money we have this season, we have to sign free agents in positions of need (Think OL, safety, WR) Re-sign the players we want to keep (Atogwe, Chillar) and then sign our draft picks. It just isn't smart to spend a whole lot of money on one guy, who, playing SAM, would be a two-down player, when there are so many needs to be filled.

I'm not even sure that we really need Dansby. What we need, IMO, is a solid defensive line, to free up the LBs that we presently have to make plays.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -01-10-2008 at 07:52 PM.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    Uh, probably not. We had much more cap space last year than we are projected to have this offseason.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I Don't Get It. The Pats Always Seems To Buy As Many ("big Names") As They Wan't, And Also Is Good At Picking Player In The Draft That They Shouldn't . It's Like They Go To The Super Bowl Every Year Then Wind Up With An Early Draft Pick. And Always Signing Players When They Are Far From Weak In That Position. How Does The Salary Cap Really Works.????????

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rams 24/7 View Post
    I Don't Get It. The Pats Always Seems To Buy As Many ("big Names") As They Wan't, And Also Is Good At Picking Player In The Draft That They Shouldn't . It's Like They Go To The Super Bowl Every Year Then Wind Up With An Early Draft Pick. And Always Signing Players When They Are Far From Weak In That Position. How Does The Salary Cap Really Works.????????

Well, they got a deal with Randy Moss- I believe the Raiders are paying a large chunk of his salary. As for other players- most want to play for Pats because they believe they can win a Superbowl with them, so they take pay cuts or cap-friendly deals. As for the Rams, we seem to have to overpay for guys like Ferrotte and Bennett. The Pats have any early draft pick because the Whiners traded it to them last year and then finished terribly this season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -01-10-2008, 06:43 PM