Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    thoey is offline Registered User

Re: Does anyone still believe we are a playoff team?

All of you, besides RamWraith, welcome to the Dark Side. Wraith will get his chance, but he is a die hard optimist. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

I don't want to hear any grief any more, even if we win a game, about those of us "Naysayers" that were trying to warn the rest of you that this team just wasn't that good.

I say let the voices rise up. Let the team and the front office hear it. Maybe then they will realize that the product they are putting out there is just as good as any Sunday.

This space for rent...

moklerman is offline Registered User

What the hell did Martz do??? Did he go out and block the right side or fumble the ball or play like **** on defense or not come to play special teams. The only bright spot on this team is the end the ball that Martz coaches. You people that blame Martz for all our problems are going to have a rude frikking awaking when the guy is gone. If it wasn't for Martz we wouldn't even be in any frikking game. Find another scape-goat.
    I like that. What the hell DID Martz do? How rude can the awakening be when the Rams are getting blown out at home by 3 scores, losing to winless teams, can't improve on special teams, can't field a servicable defense, etc. I don't make statements against Martz lightly. I remember only too well the days before Martz. Between Knox II, Robinson, Brooks, etc. there weren't too many things to cheer about with the Rams. I will fondly remember what Martz brought to the team in 1999 and how it carried over for almost 4 years.

But that time is done. The Martz as a head coach experiment should be terminated. I think that some people defending Martz are clinging to the belief that he alone can keep the offense producing. I happen to think that 15 points isn't that impressive for an offense that has Bulger, Faulk, Jackson, Holt, Bruce, Pace and McDonald. You should be able to fill in the blanks with just about any NFL caliber players and produce more than 15 points.

Sentimentality aside, I don't think losing Martz at this point would be that big of a loss.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Does anyone believe at this point that we are a playoff caliber team?
    Well I really don't know. It appears that we are not. However, this question is best posed to Mike Martz and his staff along with the players, who at this point, don't seem to believe in themselves as a team. I wonder who is in charge of instilling that all important belief into the players? It should be Mike Martz, but I have to wonder, given the quotes from players, professing their love for Martz, if he is more of a friend than a motivator at this point.

:ramlogo:

RealRam is offline Registered User

Very good comment, Ferter.

No, at this point the chances do not look promising at all. :upset:

Remember Jim Mora Sr. as HC of the Colts a few years ago? His famous outburst to the press after a repeated downer of a game... "Playoffs!?! Playyyyyoffs?!?"

Aaahyiushh! I'm so disgusted right now. AARRRGH!

Ram fan forever.

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    What the hell did Martz do??? Did he go out and block the right side or fumble the ball or play like **** on defense or not come to play special teams. The only bright spot on this team is the end the ball that Martz coaches. You people that blame Martz for all our problems are going to have a rude frikking awaking when the guy is gone. If it wasn't for Martz we wouldn't even be in any frikking game. Find another scape-goat.
    No he did not block, tackle or pass. But he is the architect of and leader of this team. He has taken a championship team and reformed it into the image of himself (An inconsistent LOSER). He even changed our uniform so that the "whole of it" could reflect on him. That is why he jettisoned Warner so it could be "his qb", "his team" . It's mine!!! It's all MINE!!!!

Enjoy it all you blind supporters of Martz! Mediocrity......We have arrived!

You should have paid attention to a "real coach" on the other sideline. He managed the game, his players, his playbook and he played with Martz like a cat plays with a mouse. It was pitiful.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Just FYI...

The uniforms were changed well before Martz became head coach or we won the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    He even changed our uniform so that the "whole of it" could reflect on him.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    He has taken a championship team and reformed it into the image of himself (An inconsistent LOSER).
    You might have some good points if you didn't ruin it with this kind of stupid claim. Since Martz has taken over, he has one of the highest winning percentages of active coaches. To say he's an inconsistent loser shows a lack of understanding of what Martz and the Rams have done under his tenure.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Martz has been the architect of the greatest offense in the history of the game. He has taken two rejected QBs and turned them into pro-bowlers. I know Martz is a lightening rod, but he is not the ultimate problem. Think about it. In '99 we win the world. The only thing that stopped us in '00 was the D, thanks to a cast of slackers led by Lyght & Carter. In 2001, we're again on top of the world until the Pats cracked the code. 2002 brought injury and doubt in the form of Warner. We may never know the full story there, but the bottom line is we finished went 7-4 after an 0-5 start that caught everyone off guard. In 2003, with a much different look we return to 12-4 before allowing our defense to fall again in the playoffs. This year, same old story, if you don't stop the other team's offense you only win half your games.

We are where we are because Martz can't figure out to make a D work. But we can win without Martz ever looking at the D. In fact, I hope he never messes with the D. If we had a DC with a history of solid performance, we would return to greatness. The offense (minus RT) is in place to put enough points on the board to win games. As soon as we find a DC that can win, we will win.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but the problem is Marmie, not Martz.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    With that all being said.

The only real bright spots I see in this team are the things that people have been so critical about for the last couple of years. Our ... coach.
    Let's examine some of yesterday's workings of our "bright spot" shall we? It's 3rd and long (about 13 I recall) and sMartz unveils the highly touted "let's-fake-a-TO" call. Maybe on 3rd short. But on 3rd and long? And a run to boot? Please, this is the NFL with well-prepared professionals waiting to make sandlot plays look like buffoonry.

But not to be outdone. Belichek says I can be more than DC, I can be an offensive genius too. Let's throw to a LB he says, they shouldn't expect that. Guess what, Rams weren't prepared again. Now just for sandlot sake, Belichel embarrasses sMartz on national TV with another trick play by confusing the Rams by lining up a DB at wideout (oops, Brown was actually a receiver, my bad).

Then sMartz follows this up with a hurry up offense in the 3rd quarter yet goes back to the huddle in the closing minutes of the 4th. Now if he was conceding the game by not going hurry-up, then why leave in his starters and risk injury? And if he wasn't conceding anything then why no-huddle or more judicous use of TOs?

If coaching were a bright spot, sunglasses are optional.

elAcky Guest

unpredictability is a double edged sword.. no one complained when Bulger walked in for a TD on a jackson fake run against the hawks...

but then again, when you take a risk and it doesn;t work.......

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by elAcky
    unpredictability is a double edged sword.. no one complained when Bulger walked in for a TD on a jackson fake run against the hawks...

but then again, when you take a risk and it doesn;t work.......
    One point. The misdirection character of the play was silly. Faking a TO? If that is an example of genius at work spare me. Faking a pitch to Jackson is going to exploit D momemtum against itself. Faking a TO doesn't move anyone from their position one way or another. Fans were really only thankful that MB wasn't actually driven to call a TO. Faked the fans out alright but not a well-coached team.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Yes, I think we are a playoff team. Not a deep one, but one that could at least have one game in the playoffs. Why not? A win next week against the Seahawks and we own the tiebreaker

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

A win next week against the Seahawks will qualify as nothing less than a MIRACLE. They will run Alexander this time from start to finish. They will be HUNGRY to prove the debacle in their house was nothing more than a FLUKE and Im quite sure Holmgren will have his squad MOTIVATED(unlike our placid leader) to put the Hawks 2 full games up and in the drivers seat.

In response to earlier comments: I have NEVER referred to the Rams as "washed up" or "sorry ass" as well as the fact that I have NEVER belittled ANY PLAYER but Dexter Mcleon(who DAMN WELL deserved it!). I may have 'belittled' a poster but ONLY when I felt it was WORTHY of same...like LAST WEEK when someone commented that the Rams 'may not make the SuperBowl if they dont turn things around soon'!! If THATS not worthy of 'belittling'...Im not sure what is. As far as my 'belittling' the coaches...yes...absolutely! Do I need to LIST the BIZARRE DRAFT MOVES...the BIZARRE GAME MANAGEMENT decisions...the IRRATIONAL staff hirings...the REPEATED FAILURE to have the team PREPARED to face LEAGUE WEAKLINGS?? These are RECURRING THEMES!! Exactly how many YEARS does one need to watch these events REPEATED before they REGISTER as TRENDS!?!?

Just an ADDITIONAL F Y I: The RAMS UNIFORMS WERE CHANGED AFTER THEY WON THE SUPER BOWL and AFTER Martz became the coach!! How long have you been a fan?? If nothing else...you are CONSISTANT....CONSISTANTLY INACCURATE! Thanks for your embellishment.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Fargo, no one can say you don't have passion....that's for sure.....

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fargo Ram Fan
    I may have 'belittled' a poster but ONLY when I felt it was WORTHY of same...like LAST WEEK when someone commented that the Rams 'may not make the SuperBowl if they dont turn things around soon'!! If THATS not worthy of 'belittling'...Im not sure what is.
    I'm not sure I see how any fan is worthy of belittling. Even if you disagree with someone's opinion, you should at least respectfully disagree with them - not belittle them. That doesn't promote positive community interaction, and by positive, I don't mean everyone saying things are great, but rather everyone feeling like they can contribute without being chewed out and flamed.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast