Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: Does anyone still believe we are a playoff team?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    As for me, I'm more comparative. In particular I look at the 90's. I don't think anyone could count the 90's as a success, regardless of the measure.
    I'm not convinced that that is a totally valid comparison. While no one would argue that we are in better shape than the 90's, our expectations should be higher than they were then, as we have tremendously more talent at the skill positions than we did then.

I realize we are lacking in talent at some spots on the defensive side, what concerns me is that our offense, which is our strength, has not played to the level of it's talent. I'd be alot less concerned if we were at least playing to the level of what I think we are capable of and losing. If we lost some games that were shootouts, but our defense let us down (like the Vikings and Colts have been doing), then I would say, "Oh, well, what are you going to do, win some lose some".

As Tx is so fond of pointing out, most of our money has been spent on the offensive side of the ball, so shouldn't we at least expect our offense to be playing better? That's supposed be Martz's strength, right?

That's what has me more upset than anything else. That and the fact that every other game we seem to come out totally unprepared and undisciplined. There is no excuse for that. Whether you blame the players or coaches for that it doesn't matter. Either way it's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Yodude; -11-10-2004 at 08:50 PM.

Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

viper is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Yodude
    ...what concerns me is that our offense, which is our strength, has not played to the level of it's talent.

As Tx is so fond of pointing out, most of our money has been spent on the offensive side of the ball, so shouldn't we at least expect our offense to be playing better? That's supposed be Martz's strength, right?

That's what has me more upset than anything else. That and the fact that every other game we seem to come out totally unprepared and undisciplined. There is no excuse for that. Whether you blame the players or coaches for that it doesn't matter. Either way it's unacceptable as far as I'm concerned.
    I feel you pain man. We have looked unprepared and undisciplined too often. In all fairness though, we did spend big money on our offensive line only to have two of our starters go down with injuries. That's a big part of the problem on offense. If Bulger had more time he'd be putting up more points and hopefully the line would be opening bigger holes for Faulk and Jackson.

elAcky Guest

When its all said and done, Martz is a winning coach.. something we seem to be finding dificult to come to terms with as rams fans... yes he has made mistakes and yes we are having a poor season... but i really can't see anyone better placed than him to get out us out of this rot (though i've tried looking)... the real problem lies in who he hires as his lieutenants.... if he just shopped around for a proven entity at DC (winning record a must) and stopped extending a life line to his buddies, i'm convinced we'd all be singing his praises this time next year and we'd have a good shot at the sb.

moklerman is offline Registered User

Was Lovie a buddy of Martz? I can't remember the connection there. I think there have been some good coaches on the Rams but for whatever reason some the units just don't excel. Special teams being the obvious group that never seems to get much better.

I think over the years there hasn't been an abundance of Martz's buddies coaching the team but this year he brought in some people that it was real debatable if they would be if here they weren't someone's friend.

It's all been an experiment that I think will be discontinued next year at the latest.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Is Jim Hanifan still involved with the team to some extent?

If not...he should be!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    Was Lovie a buddy of Martz? I can't remember the connection there. I think there have been some good coaches on the Rams but for whatever reason some the units just don't excel. Special teams being the obvious group that never seems to get much better.

I think over the years there hasn't been an abundance of Martz's buddies coaching the team but this year he brought in some people that it was real debatable if they would be if here they weren't someone's friend.

It's all been an experiment that I think will be discontinued next year at the latest.
    I don't mind him bringing in his buddies, just find buddies with a proven track record. Lovie did great things with the TB defense. He had a winning history. Marmie has taken the Cards losing defensive philosophy and transplanted it into St. Louis. I don't think Martz or the FO should be surprised that our defense ranks pretty close to where the Cards defense has ranked for the 3 previous seasons.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rebel13 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Geez! Not this nonsense again!

You mean like when Marshall Faulk had 2,227 yards from scrimmage in 1998 when playing for the Colts? I wasn't aware Kurt Warner was the QB there that year.
    And since Kurt left he's done what?

Tom_SF is offline Registered User

We'll make the playoffs. We need some help on defense. Like new players and a new defensive coordinator.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

As of now....very good possibility. Injuries, inexperienced players, and all.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

To answer the original question that started this thread...

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

And since Kurt left he's done what?
    Gotten older, been injured, ran for 136 yards vs the Seahawks to secure the victory. Sorry Rebel Kurt had noting to do with Marshall's success. If anything Marshall helped KW. Marshall demanded so much attention on the feild that the defence was losened up b4 KW even had time to get in his rhythm. Defences worried all week about Marshall when the team was the GSOT.
    KW was great with the Rams, Bulger is great with the Rams, and both are very lucky they have the leadership of Faulk on that feild.

To answer the original question, yes the Rams will make probably make the playofs. To be a true threat again though they really need to step up and be more consistant. Today looked great but it needs to stay this way every game.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -11-14-2004 at 05:35 PM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

[QUOTE=LaRamsFanLongTime]Gotten older, been injured, ran for 136 yards vs the Seahawks to secure the victory. Sorry Rebel Kurt had noting to do with Marshall's success. If anything Marshall helped KW. Marshall demanded so much attention on the feild that the defence was losened up b4 KW even had time to get in his rhythm. Defences worried all week about Marshall when the team was the GSOT.
    KW was great with the Rams, Bulger is great with the Rams, and both are very lucky they have the leadership of Faulk on that feild.

This quote is so completely absurd and and unreasonable that anyone who would really believe it or say it knows so little about football that there is no reason to attempt a rebuttal as the originator of the above most assuredly lacks the abilities needed to understand logical thought.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

When in doubt, insult the poster.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    When in doubt, insult the poster.
    Sometimes a critical answer can appear to be an insult.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rebel13
    Sometimes a critical answer can appear to be an insult.
    "This quote is so completely absurd and and unreasonable that anyone who would really believe it or say it knows so little about football that there is no reason to attempt a rebuttal as the originator of the above most assuredly lacks the abilities needed to understand logical thought."

Yeah, nothing insulting about that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast