r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Does Bulger Join The 30 TD Club This Year?

With a year under his belt in the Linehan offense, promising OL potential and a slew of weapons including some big targets in McMichael and Bennett, I wouldn't bet against him hitting the 30 TD benchmark and beyond.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Does Bulger Join The 30 TD Club This Year?

I don't think that he'll even join that group. I think his best chance of making that mark where in the days of Mike Martz. It takes a really good team to be able to do that. Take for example Indy. Not only is there offense amazing, but there defense suits the job and gets Peyton the ball back. The rams on the other hand don't have that defense. Ontop of that I don't think that Marc will be throwing the ball that much to allow him to make 30+ td's. With the phenominal year that Jackson had last year, I highly doubt that we're just going to forget about running it.

I'm predicting that Marc will get around 25 td's this year, since we have all these weapons and nice young o-line emerging.

Milan is offline Registered User

I don't think he will this year because we have Steven Jackson and Brian Leonard to compliment him, but hey, that might mean that defenses will key in on the running game.

Bulger had 24 TD's last year behind a makeshift OL while spending the first quarter of the season learning how to operate in Linehan's offense along with the rest of the team. In the Red Zone we kicked 20 FG's which was second only to Arizona's 21. I've got to believe we're going to be in a much better position to score TD's and not have to settle for FG tries in 2007.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Love your enthusiasm Mike, but no way does Bulger make 30 TD passes. If he does, I'll buy you a car of your choice.
    (Disclaimer: Offer to buy car of choice posted in jest. No car is actually being offered. Any attempt to hire an attorney and sue the originator of this post to get said car will result in some very bad karma. Raally. You will make me cry, and nothing is more pathetic than a 50 year old man weeping in a belly dancing outfit)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Love your enthusiasm Mike, but no way does Bulger make 30 TD passes. If he does, I'll buy you a car of your choice.
    (Disclaimer: Offer to buy car of choice posted in jest. No car is actually being offered. Any attempt to hire an attorney and sue the originator of this post to get said car will result in some very bad karma. Raally. You will make me cry, and nothing is more pathetic than a 50 year old man weeping in a belly dancing outfit)
    Man I hate those disclaimers!

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I don't think that he'll even join that group. I think his best chance of making that mark where in the days of Mike Martz. It takes a really good team to be able to do that. Take for example Indy. Not only is there offense amazing, but there defense suits the job and gets Peyton the ball back. The rams on the other hand don't have that defense. Ontop of that I don't think that Marc will be throwing the ball that much to allow him to make 30+ td's. With the phenominal year that Jackson had last year, I highly doubt that we're just going to forget about running it.

I'm predicting that Marc will get around 25 td's this year, since we have all these weapons and nice young o-line emerging.

Are you serious?? Indy's D was horrible last year, except for in the playoffs. I think Bulger will definitly reach that mark this year as the Rams break all kinds of offensive records.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    With a year under his belt in the Linehan offense, promising OL potential and a slew of weapons including some big targets in McMichael and Bennett, I wouldn't bet against him hitting the 30 TD benchmark and beyond.
    I think so, that's an average of 2 TD's a game. You know there are going to a couple of 42 point games this season. I don't see any reason why he won't

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    With Brian Leonard, Bennett and McMichael available as redzone targets, he should up his TD numbers. Bulger hopefully will have less pass attempts this year due to an improved running game. Less pass attempts would hopefully be the result of being ahead in games as opposed to throwing every down trying to play catchup. I see no reason why Bulger couldn't increase his number of TD passes while his number of attempts diminished.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post

30 TDs at least. Lets not forget those short swing passes or dump offs to Jackson or now Leonard. We will see some of these taken to the house on top of the Red Zone offense that will improve. With the additions of McMichael, Bennett and Dante Halls returning abilities the sky is the limit.

With our potent offense the oppositon is going to be throwing the ball more thus creating more turnover situations for our defense.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

I can see this easily. I think that being out of the WC offense will help bulger with his TD mark. Once you get into the redzone you really need a tall receiver/TE with good hands/real RB threat to be able to score. I think in the past couple years with Martz that's been the real problem in scoring. The WCO just isn't nearly as effective in the redzone with only possesion receivers.

I think LInehan's offense is much more suited to scoring TDs then Martz was (atleast the past few years under martz). Some of you seem to think that him scoring 30 TDs will be impossible, he got 24 last year so he really doesn't have to have that much mroe improvement over last year to get to 30!

With Bennett and McMicheal I think that gives us 15 more passing TDs. I can still remember a ton of times last year when we got to the red zone and just couldn't connect to anyone. If we throw all we did was pass to Torry/Issac to the back/corner of the end zone and hope they catch it. We almost never had any passes even thrown in the middle or a true jump ball thrown in the end zone, let alone score any TDs that way.

McMicheal and Bennett are going to score a ton of touchdowns for us. I think we'll see scoring this season that we haven't since the GSOT. With out improved defense I think we can just easily outscore any oponent. In almost every game last year we led in passing yards and time of possesion. The SOLE thing keeping us from winning about three more games last year was redzone effiency.

Its my first post here by the way, i've been lurking for a week and had to get in on the discussion!
    Last edited by helorm341; -06-04-2007 at 01:01 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

It's not out of the question. The 20-to-20 offense has been there for years, but now the red zone O looks much improved which could add to his TD numbers. It ain't crazy to think 30.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I'd say it's certainly possible if Bulger stays healthy. The main thing that will hurt his chances at throwing that many will be Linehan's penchant for running the ball (and the clock). On the other hand Culpepper threw 39 TDs in 2004 with Linehan as the OC in Minnesota.

By the way, welcome to the Clan, helorm341!

Keenum is offline Registered User

I think it'll depend on how we want to run our redzone offense. Do we go back to the Greatest Show on Turf days when our QB was accurate enough to squeeze in those right passes in the redzone (and I'm sure Bulger can do that as well), or do we go like the Chargers, and let our stud RB run the ball when we get inside the 20?

Either way, Bulger or Jackson will have a lot of TDs this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    On the other hand Culpepper threw 39 TDs in 2004 with Linehan as the OC in Minnesota.
    Great point. Linehan has balanced things with Jackson, but there is no doubt he still covets a strong passing attack. In fact, as I recall he was looked upon as pass happy by many fans in Miami and certainly provided the opportunity for Bulger to have his best year statistically in 2006. With versatile pass catching backs like Jackson and Leonard to go along with Holt, Bruce, Bennett, McMichael and Klopf, the air assault should be alive and well in 2007 providing Bulger with a good shot at 30.