Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Does the City of St. Louis Deserve the Rams?

I've been a Rams fan for 30 years. My reasons for being a fan have never had anything to do with the city where the team played. Los Angeles, Aneheim, St. Louis... never really mattered much to me. And so, I pose the question, from the perspective of an outsider...

Does the City of St. Louis deserve the Rams?

I note that, despite what you might have expected in opening this thread, this is not a leading question. I honestly don't know the answer. Certainly, the thought crossed my mind tonight, as the crowd noise sounded like an away game (this also happened when the Chiefs played at the EJD, by the way) that something isn't right. But one game (or a few games) should not dictate the answer.

So does St. Louis deserve the Rams? Do they support the team with enough enthusiasm to be the home of a franchise with a long and rich history like the Rams have?

I feeling drained by tonight's game and the season as a whole, so I'm not even going to try to answer the question.

I leave it to you all.

What do you think?

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Re: Does the City of St. Louis Deserve the Rams?

Yes. As I said in another thread, since 1995, every Ram game has sold out. The Rams haven't given them anything to cheer about lately..

RamsFan16 Guest

No. Every game has sold out since 1995 maybe, but the last 3 seasons its been dead. They don't care about the Rams, its all baseball and really is sad. When the team is high they are on top of the world and everyone cheers them, and when there down in the wheeping lows like right now a team needs to know that win or lose its Fans love the team.

BigGameMN Guest

St. Louis is a baseball town, period. They look at the Rams with indifference, if their winning then great, people will support them. But if their losing, they can't be bothered, because it's the baseball winter meetings don't ya know?

On the other side, people will tell you 11 years isn't enough time for people to get attached. That not enough kids have grown up with their dads taking them to Rams games and all that. Others will tell you it's simply too expensive to go to a Rams game. There is the problem that St. Louis is a working class city that is already expensive to live in, so people can't fit it into their budget.

Ultimately, if I had to choose, I would say give them some more time.

Well, SOCal wasn't exactly paradise... This has happened since professional sports was organized. Fans fill the seats and get high when the team does well.
    Last edited by GreatestShow99; -12-12-2006 at 02:09 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I don't think St. Louis deserves them. They get no support from the fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    St. Louis is a baseball town, period. They look at the Rams with indifference, if their winning then great, people will support them. But if their losing, they can't be bothered, because it's the baseball winter meetings don't ya know?

On the other side, people will tell you 11 years isn't enough time for people to get attached. That not enough kids have grown up with their dads taking them to Rams games and all that. Others will tell you it's simply too expensive to go to a Rams game. There is the problem that St. Louis is a working class city that is already expensive to live in, so people can't fit it into their budget.

Ultimately, if I had to choose, I would say give them some more time.

Absolutely. The Rams are still new to the city. Give them some time. Whereas, baseball has been in STL since the 1870's.. Of course the Cardinals are going to outshine both the Rams and the Blues...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

im a die hard los angeles rams fan and i made the trip all the way from so cal to watch this game tonight and there were more bears fans there than rams fans... what a way to be introduced to the EJD... The crowd doesn't know if they should cheer or booo... By far the worst fans in the league.. i went to many games when the rams were in LA and it was never that bad.... Just pathetic, THE PEOPLE IN STL. DOESN'T DESERVE A FOOTBALL TEAM PERIOD..

BigGameMN Guest

Even though there are problems with the fanbase, the Rams have sold out every single home game since they have been in St. Louis, so the issue of attendance is a non starter. As long as the games keep selling out, they aren't moving.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

The real question should really be what city would really support this team. I live in Los Angeles and I wish the city would have embraced the Rams, but they didn't and that is why they ended up in St. Louie. Will they ever come back, don't know. The Raiders went back to Oakland. Right now I see a team that with a few tweaks and the right support it can return to its former luster.

Does St. Louie deserve the Rams? I say NO! Does L.A.? NO!

Anaheim? Not yet, but soon. It is growing over there and they want NFL, they just never had a huge population for professional sports. The Ducks, Arty Moreno's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim says things are changing and with a new stadium the Los Angeles Rams of Anaheim might be a future home worth looking for.

:r
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

aff15loader Guest

many years in LA= No super bowl
    less than 10 years in STL= Super bowl
    well we can't win all the battles STL is still a baseball town. When the rams are set up to not make it in the post season and problems with players, there isn't much to go and see..although I went tonight. There were a lot of bears fans there but I have seen worse in other sports.. I mean when Chicago has the bears and they are doing well of course they want to see them. When I talked to some fans a lot of them went because 1. It was a semi-close drive 2. it is pretty hard to get into games at soldier field from what I have heard. When I went to KC to see the cards v the royals there was nothing but red in the crowd with blue speckles here and there...it was not that bad tonight but the bears fans that came were not old and there to make noise and party.

BigGameMN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    The real question should really be what city would really support this team. I live in Los Angeles and I wish the city would have embraced the Rams, but they didn't and that is why they ended up in St. Louie. Will they ever come back, don't know. The Raiders went back to Oakland. Right now I see a team that with a few tweaks and the right support it can return to its former luster.

Does St. Louie deserve the Rams? I say NO! Does L.A.? NO!

Anaheim? Not yet, but soon. It is growing over there and they want NFL, they just never had a huge population for professional sports. The Ducks, Arty Moreno's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim says things are changing and with a new stadium the Los Angeles Rams of Anaheim might be a future home worth looking for.

:r
    Really? Would Anaheim really accept another team with the name 'Los Angeles' after they spent millions of dollars to keep the Angels from switching to that name? And when the team was in Anaheim didn't it consistently have some of the worst attendance in the league? I'm not sure that's a viable option.

aff15loader Guest

I figured out the order of guilt.....
    1) Players
    2) Coaches
    3) Refs
    4) The town itself

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I'm irate and irrational right now, but if what happened tonight with the crowd becomes a trend, then hell no, St. Louis does not DESERVE the Rams.

I have never seen a more pathetic crowd in 35 years as a sports fan, and I went to loads of games in Anaheim as a season ticket holder in the 90's and to several in Tempe when the Cardinals were at rock bottom. Nothing compares. To let an opposing teams fanbase take over your house, on national TV in a game that still had some meaning is inexcusable. INEXCUSABLE.

How could any of those people look Marc Bulger or Steven Jackson in the eye after that?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestShow99 View Post
    Well, SOCal wasn't exactly paradise... This has happened since professional sports was organized. Fans fill the seats and get high when the team does well.
    you were 14 when the Rams first stepped into St Louis. How would you know how the Fans felt about the Rams. When the Rams were at the Colisium. There games were like the Lakers Games Stars showed up. Gloria dissed L.A. to make a move to
    Anehiem for more money. The only reason it wasn't that bad was because of the fact you could travel down the highway for about 40 mins and still see them play. Mark my words people. I can almost guarantee that she's going to make a move back to the L.A. market.

But to answer the question. No St Louis doesn't deserve the Rams. A team that won a Super Bowl 7 years ago. Doesn't deserved to be treated like they were Last night. 60 to 70 percent of that crowd looked like Chicago Fans.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast