Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By RuffRams
  • 2 Post By AvengerRam
  • 2 Post By Ramendola16
  • 2 Post By C-Mob 71
  • 1 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 2 Post By RealRam

Thread: Does Defense REALLY win Championships?

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Does Defense REALLY win Championships?

First off, let me say that I LOVE good defense. I played defensive back in high school, coached defense and also actually would rather watch good defensive units instead of good offenses in the NFL. I remember as a kid preferring to watch childhood idols Jack Youngblood and Nolan Cromwell patrol the field instead of the Rams offense, which at the time was often rather pedestrian. It is in that spirit that I ask the following question: "Is trying to build a great defense REALLY the way to go?

I ask this because for years we have been weaned on the philosophy that "defense wins championships". In today's NFL, I'm not so sure. New England has NEVER been great defensively. The Giants had an average defense that got hot at the right time two years ago. And the Ravens made the transition from a defensive team to a very good offensive one before winning a SB this year.

Jeff Fisher- a defensive-minded coach came aboard and immediately prioritized the defense. This was both expected and in my opinion completely appropriate. We needed to develop a toughness and mold a team in his image to go toe to toe with the NFC West. This approach brought immediate dividends last season. Building on that (re-signing Hayes/Cudjo) and probably addressing both Safety and Linebacker in the coming draft are also expected and necessary. But it is now time to make the transition to helping the offensive side of the ball.

Signing Jake Long was a HUGE and I feel, critical move. And now we must follow it up by addressing the receiver position. That absolutely must be priority # 1 in my eyes. This administration has chosen to go entirely through the draft to address receiver needs. With Givens, the results look promising. With the others, the jury is very much in doubt, and this season will tell us a lot.

In today's NFL, I would suggest one does not need an GREAT defense, but one which is both sound and capable. Instead, a team ABSOLUTELY needs a very good offense if it wishes to reach the promised land- a departure from the defensive-minded clubs of years past.
    RealRam, thoey and RuffRams like this.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Re: Does Defense REALLY win Championships?

No question about it, great analysis NJ. Not to use a cliche, but defense wins championships and offense scores to win games. There is no question in my mind now that we need a playmaking WR and Safety (1a and 1b)
    RealRam likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It used to be that "DEFENSE" wins Championships was the motto. The NFL decided that the fans wanted to see higher scoring games so the rules have been continually changing in favor of the offense. So, to make a long story short, the game is always changing because of the new rules put in place each year.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I still believe so. You can't win if you can't score. The Packers who had a great high powered offense but bad defense still managed to force many turnovers. A great defense will always put you in place to win.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The high scores of this year's playoff games might suggest that the offenses have taken over entirely, but I think its more of a cyclical thing. Just when you think its all about offense, a team like the Giants will find a way to stop an offensive juggernaut like the Patriots.
    RealRam and live4ramin like this.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

I'd say it boils down to "clutch play wins championships", regardless of which side of the ball it is. The Whiners made it this year with a strong defense, as did the Steelers and Packers three years ago. At the same time, you'll see purely offensive teams make it as well. I think it's just a matter of having a definitive strength and getting hot at the right time.
    rNemesis and Agrajag like this.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

If you score, you might win; if your opponent never scores, you never lose.

Defense still wins championships, but hey some offensive playmakers certainly don't hurt either.

Good teams win championships.
    RealRam and Rammed like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Complete teams and getting hot at the right time wins championships.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

The saying you pose about NFL defenses has been diluted during the years -- correction: during the decades. Seems that presently the offense is considerably more glamorous and ... effective?

You mentioned Cromwell, Youngblood, taking care of business and being in command with their D men. Absolutely! There were other stout defenses that played HUGE back in the day (I'm talking 60s thru early - mid 80s): Bears, Cowboys, Giants, Packers, Steelers, Vikings. Maybe Dolphins too in '72.

A N D, the great Fantastic / Formidable / Fearsome Four & Co. of the Rams.

BTW, Rams D were instrumental in getting us two Conference Titles, 1967, '69, as oppose to the 1951 NFL Championship team that was more or, better, geard towards a high scoring offense.

In 1967 the Rams D allowed fewest points in the NFL + AFL, 196. [Ironically, the same year the offense also scored more points than any other team, 398 (14 games in reg. season)]. 1973-80 were of course terrific years for the D###### as well as you pointed out with Youngblood and posse.

So your questions remains interesting and debatable, for sure. Perhaps in that cyclical pattern that AV mentioned, football will soon turn its eyes and priorities back to defense, starting with the collegiate mentality, or even HS.

PS: Personally, I've always taken preference for the D, say on a 60 / 40 ratio. 'Más o menos.'

Clic on banners below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Does Defense REALLY win Championships?-1-l.-.-rams-1951.jpg   Does Defense REALLY win Championships?-1967-rams.jpg   Does Defense REALLY win Championships?-1969-rams.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -03-19-2013 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Tyop & 1951
    live4ramin and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    First off, let me say that I LOVE good defense. I played defensive back in high school, coached defense and also actually would rather watch good defensive units instead of good offenses in the NFL. I remember as a kid preferring to watch childhood idols Jack Youngblood and Nolan Cromwell patrol the field instead of the Rams offense, which at the time was often rather pedestrian. It is in that spirit that I ask the following question: "Is trying to build a great defense REALLY the way to go?

I ask this because for years we have been weaned on the philosophy that "defense wins championships". In today's NFL, I'm not so sure. New England has NEVER been great defensively.
    You lost me right here. This is where I stoppped reading. You may have valid points below, but that was where I couldn't read any further.

Not every team has the luxury of the guys in stripes closing their eyes when committing penalties. Those guys in stripes also help with clock management to setup game winners.

The the title of your post. Defenses don't win Championships, but they do seal them. Thank you 2Duece!!!

gap