Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Does Linehan deserve a mulligan?

The unbelievable amount of injuries have certainly dealt Linehan a very poor hand to play. It's been like playing single deck Black Jack with 3 of the 4 aces removed from the deck.

Does he deserve a 3rd season as our Leader?

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

Re: Does Linehan deserve a mulligan?

No. No. No.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

It depends. In my opinion, a coach shows his true self when the chips are down. When everything goes to hell, how does he handle it?

This whole year has been a huge example of this. The offensive line being decimated and pretty much losing a guy every single week, the offensive skill players getting banged up, and the defense looking good at times and horrid at others(see Anderson, Derek and Edwards, Braylon).

Last year he was able to keep the faith of his team and rebound to a .500 record. This year, he seems to have lost his players and the players seem to have lost the will to overcome. Sadly, I think the Browns game could be the breaking point. For the first quarter, Jax was back and running wild, and once he left, everything went to hell. The defense started to crumble, the offense ground to a halt. There were spurts from time to time, but for pretty much the second third and most of the fourth quarter, we were the lambs. We couldn't capitalize on the Browns many offensive line penalties and let them convert third and huges. Without Jackson, it looked like the players gave up hope of winning. Linehan seemed to do nothing to keep them playing at the high level of the first quarter.

A great coach would have kept his team and kept morale high. He would have led us to a 3-5 record(SF, ARI, CLE, maybe even TB), and we'd actually still be in the hunt for a playoff spot. A good coach would have won two of those, probably the Browns and Cards games, and would have a little forward momentum going into the bye. A fair coach and a bad coach would succumb to the injuries and pressures and be 0-8, but the dividing line is how the players see and respect and play for him.

So what is Linehan? If he's a bad coach, we'll go 0-16 and we'll be known as the worst team ever. We'll tank horribly after the bye and I won't even want to watch. If he's fair, we'll get a win or two, escape the worst team designation, and the team will still believe in him and will ask for him to stay to try again. If he can climb to good, we'll be the surprise team of the second half of the season, go 4-4, and the team'll play up tho that 1st quarter ability and fire. If he's great, he'll go over .500 in the second half, and everyone will talk about how we're a completely different team.

I personally think he's fair, and at this point I think it's about 60/40 that he gets fired. If we can win more than 2 games or win 2 and be really close in a few others(namely at NO), I think we let him stay. If we can't show any fire coming out of the bye, I don't want him. That's the key for me, the players that are left standing playing with desire and being able to compete just on that desire alone. Lord knows it won't be the play calling.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

You know, I haven't really given this topic much thought.

I'll have to get back to you.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Okay... I thought about it.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I said when he took over the reins of the Rams, I'd give him three years to prove his worth.

Nothing's changed in my mind. If anyone's not playing hard for him, dump them. Look, if you need the HC to "pump you up" during the game, you're not much of a player, are you? This isn't pop-warner, this is the pro's. These guys should be playing with passion and heart no matter who is standing on the sidelines. So, like I said, dump any player that "gives up" and find guys that can play and execute. This team was a mess when he took over, add to that, all the injuries and you have what you have. As someone else said, we could very well be 3-5 right now, and we're not, not because Linehand couldn't light a fire under these guy's butts, but because some of our superstars couldn't hang onto the freakin ball. If we hadn't fumbled or throw the ball away, we'd BE 3-5 right now and everyone would be saying what a fantastic job Linehan has done with all the injuries.

Unfortunately, in today's sports arena, the prima-donna players usually get their way, so if Linehan doesn't pick up a few wins before the season's over because the guys on the field continue to fold, they'll give him the boot, and we'll pick up a retread coach, or one that catches Georgia's eye, and we'll start over from square one, and it'll be three to fours years before we see a winning season. ...maybe.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I think everyone knows my position, that he deserves a chance to be a coach under semi-normal conditions. While others assume that he's lost his team, I'm not so sure after reading what Holt said about never giving up and not letting anyone on the team give up. Is he a good coach? I don't know, but I'm willing to give it one more year to try and find out as opposed to going back to square one and bringing in a whole new staff and all that goes with it.

If things this year continue to spiral out of control though, Linehan will most likely be gone because the NFL is not about getting chances, it's about money.

I really feel bad for him because I do think he's fighting every week to get some semblance of order back in the face of a rediculous amount of adversity. I know I'm alone on an island here, but I'm pulling for him.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I'll sum it up for you. Linehan is a hack. What did he do with his opportunity to be a head coach? He hired a bunch of his buddies from his college days. He has shown no ability to adjust after half time when the other team adjusts to him. Notice how nobody, and I mean nobody hangs around him during the game? The "fact" that Linehan came into this job to meld the Martz offense with a few tweaks of his own shows me his lack of conviction in his own ability. While I believe Martz has a lot to learn as far as being a head coach, Linehan couldn't even hold Mad Mike's jock! Of course if you want to know how I really feel, without all the sugar coating.........
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

He has to go.

Ramanator is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    He has to go.
    The problem is is that he does not instill confidence even when the team is healthy. They were crappy last year and this preseason. IMHO he does not have "it". What he has in common with Martz is what bothers me most, they are both very girly men.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ramanator View Post
    The problem is is that he does not instill confidence even when the team is healthy. They were crappy last year and this preseason. IMHO he does not have "it". What he has in common with Martz is what bothers me most, they are both very girly men.
    Do you want to know what worries me the most? Know one outside of us die hard fan thinks this team is worth a crap. More importantly the home town fans in St. Louis have completely given up on this team. Seriously think about it, we can't even sell out a home game and the games are already being blacked out. if we don't sign a big name head coach no one is going to watch our games. Even if we have a great season and go deep into the playoffs who will really care? The fans aren't just use to disappointment they expect it. It's always easier to give up than to hold on to blind faith. At least with a big name head coach people will at least act like we will exist.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I say Big red Man said it perfectly, I don't need to add a thing!

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

There was a bit of promise at the end of last season. We thought at the time maybe Linehan was going to work out, after all.

Was it just a tease?

This season finds us bereft due to injuries.

Is this Linehan's fault? I had the same complaint of Martz in that both these guys seem unable to adjust a game plan to take advantage of an apparent opportunity, or is it the players' faults for not executing?

Play calling leaves us puzzled and leadership is questioned. Both on the field and off. Losing and winning are contagious. If the Rams were to win a game we might just see a bit of jauntiness in their step, some renewed vigor in their game. I am not saying anyone is lacking in effort, it just seems the "spark" is gone. Someone needs to fan the ember and start the fire blazing. An on the field leader needs to emerge and get his team mates excited about playing again. A fire on the sideline would go a long way towards that end. A demonstrative head coach might make the difference.

I am not ready to can Linehan yet, but he needs to do something to show he desires to remain employed in St. Louis next season.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

blood85 is offline Registered User
    Linehan must go.Right now.

If we can't beat a team with the 32nd ranked defense, Who can we beat??
    Last edited by Nick; -11-01-2007 at 02:21 AM.

mpire is offline Registered User

The die was cast in training camp, this team is soft.
    The propensity for injuries is a testament to that, and lack of preparation, it also indicates the players are holding back.

At this point the Rams are reaping what the coach sowed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast