Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    btimsah Guest

    Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Ah yes, the fun of pre-season. Does it matter or not? I see that a lot on these boards. One side makes "too big of a deal" about pre-season and the other could care less.

    What is your take on it, in detail?

    In my personal opinion -

    (Disclaimer; This is my opinion and as such I am in no way attempting to be needlessly negative and hereby allow anyone to ignore such perceived negativity in anyway. Furthermore, I would ask that you not respond to me if you see this as unnecessary negative and wish to argue with me which, ironically would result in a lot of negativity and a waste of time arguing over opinions.)

    - I think pre-season is important to bad teams. I think how the starters look, is important.

    Nothing cements this in my head more than after the 99' Superbowl, we were playing Tennessee in the pre-season rematch. Our defense could not stop anything. There was a clear and scary drop off. Our defense went on to struggle during the regular season.

    So yes I think Pre-season matters. Especially with bad teams. The good teams usually rest their starters so much that you can't make judgements. Bad teams on the other hand usually try to play everyone as long as they can. Injuries do cloud things up a bit of course, but those injuries could linger into the regular season anyway.


  2. #2
    GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    322
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    I think that the big picture of the preseason doesn't matter, aka wins and loses. I mean, I really really don't think they mean anything. However, I think the process of the preseason is crucial to a teams success or failure. Stating the obvious here, but the preseason is a chance to evaluate ones roster depth. You are hoping to find hidden gems, and keep the best players for your system possible. So, preseason does matter, but to the individuals of the team, and not so much the results the team is putting together. That whole attitude changes 360 when week 1 roles around though.

  3. #3
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by GolfnRAMFAN View Post
    I think that the big picture of the preseason doesn't matter, aka wins and loses. I mean, I really really don't think they mean anything. However, I think the process of the preseason is crucial to a teams success or failure. Stating the obvious here, but the preseason is a chance to evaluate ones roster depth. You are hoping to find hidden gems, and keep the best players for your system possible. So, preseason does matter, but to the individuals of the team, and not so much the results the team is putting together. That whole attitude changes 360 when week 1 roles around though.
    Oh yeah your right. Wins, loses and the final score don't mean a thing to me. Just the units and how they played I think matter.

    Sometimes I get the impression people want to ignore the Pre-season when it's convenient to their homerism. lol.. I did that when I was a kid. I thought every year we were going to win the superbowl only to be heart broken. Now I keep it real.

    If your starters suck in the pre-season and they were bad least season. Guess what? More stinkage.

  4. #4
    Bar-bq's Avatar
    Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    2,929
    Rep Power
    94

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    ]
    If your starters suck in the pre-season and they were bad least season. Guess what? More stinkage.
    I think it boils down to more than this. The preseason matters, obviously, for the reasons GolfinRamsFan stated above. I think what needs to be taken into consideration this year is that we have a new team, a new coach and a new system, a whole host of new starters and that it's going to take a little while for the starters to adjust and become comfortable in a new scheme. Rome was not built in a day, and from what I've seen, many of our starters have shown improvement and there are others who still need work. This is the purpose of the preseason.

    Give it time. Teams take a long time to develop the sort of chemistry you're expecting from two quarters on the field.

  5. #5
    Varg6's Avatar
    Varg6 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    3,620
    Rep Power
    43

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Well considering both sides of the ball are installing a new offense and defense...again. I think we should probably give them some slack. Do I think we need more talent overall? Of course, but I think we'll see a better team once we actually start the regular season.


    Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

  6. #6
    TekeRam's Avatar
    TekeRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, United States
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    Rep Power
    71

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Preseason is good for seeing trends, not wins and losses. The best teams in the NFL don't care if they win or lose in the preseason, because they're too busy evaluating their depth, just as Golfin said above.

    Obviously, teams that keep their starters in longer are more apt to see something important, but overall, with no one fielding a full team due to minor injuries, it's impossible to see one for one what will happen in the regular season.

    I'm watching the Browns Lions game at the moment and the Browns were absolutely atrocious last week against Green Bay. Now they're destroying the Lions. True, they're two polar opposite teams, however, the Browns are still the same team. They made a 180 change week to week in the preseason, in all aspects of the game. So, what is it, quality of opponent? Or progress in the installation of a new system? Who knows... we'll have to wait and see in the regular season. Just like we will with the Rams. We have to wait till September to know what we have, and the preseason will give only hints at the truth. The hints I'm seeing? It's still a work in progress. We'll be better than last year, but we're very much still rebuilding.

  7. #7
    Dominating D's Avatar
    Dominating D is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I think it boils down to more than this. The preseason matters, obviously, for the reasons GolfinRamsFan stated above. I think what needs to be taken into consideration this year is that we have a new team, a new coach and a new system, a whole host of new starters and that it's going to take a little while for the starters to adjust and become comfortable in a new scheme. Rome was not built in a day, and from what I've seen, many of our starters have shown improvement and there are others who still need work. This is the purpose of the preseason.

    Give it time. Teams take a long time to develop the sort of chemistry you're expecting from two quarters on the field.
    I agree it seems to mean more when you have new coaches, young unproven talent, and a new system to learn.

    However, I do not put to much stock in the game itself just how the 1st and 2nd team looked. After those units most of the guys will not be on the roster on Sept 10th.

    Go Rams

  8. #8
    unorthodox1999's Avatar
    unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    645
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Pre Season does NOT matter....thats why its called PRE season..if the commish ever had the craziest idea & invented the PRE playoffs, those i assure you would more than likely not matter either lol..

    It gets frustrating to me to watch the Rams lose simply cause im a die hard fan, regardless of whose playing(backups, 3rd string) but other than that, i cant let my paranoia of being the same sorry lame team from previous seasons get to me because afterall, its ONLY the PRE season..

  9. #9
    eldfan's Avatar
    eldfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Greenville N.C.
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,655
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    I donít think teams show anything in the preseason of how they are going to play in the regular season . But I do think it matters on poor teams, they need wins to help break the mental block of being losers.
    :ramlogo:

  10. #10
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    I think it boils down to more than this. The preseason matters, obviously, for the reasons GolfinRamsFan stated above. I think what needs to be taken into consideration this year is that we have a new team, a new coach and a new system, a whole host of new starters and that it's going to take a little while for the starters to adjust and become comfortable in a new scheme. Rome was not built in a day, and from what I've seen, many of our starters have shown improvement and there are others who still need work. This is the purpose of the preseason.

    Give it time. Teams take a long time to develop the sort of chemistry you're expecting from two quarters on the field.
    That's a good point. I almost forgot we had new scheme's... I guess because both sides looked so similar to last year. I've been a bit confused as to what we've changed on offense. I see a lot of the same sets from last year.. but maybe they're not in yet.

    So, while I still think Pre-season matters it does stand to reason that with new coaches and systems the team could greatly improve during the season.

  11. #11
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    I think it matters within the context of what it is - a game that's based on little specific game-planning for the other team and little depth into your own team's playbook. What I want to see out of a pre-season game is how someone does in an individual match-up or assignment. For instance, how well is Jason Smith playing on the edge? Is he sliding and mirroring well, or has he been giving up some inside moves and been reaching too much? How has Tye Hill looked in single coverage? Is he playing the ball better in the air, or is he still a bit lost? There are observations that you can make, certainly. But you also have to be cognizant that what you're seeing is likely a watered down version of what will be on the field for the regular season when it comes to planning and preparation. I'm not worried when the Rams don't game-plan for the exotic blitzes of Rex Ryan; I am worried when I see Rams defenders missing numerous tackles when playing the Falcons. Hopefully that makes sense.

  12. #12
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think it matters within the context of what it is - a game that's based on little specific game-planning for the other team and little depth into your own team's playbook. What I want to see out of a pre-season game is how someone does in an individual match-up or assignment. For instance, how well is Jason Smith playing on the edge? Is he sliding and mirroring well, or has he been giving up some inside moves and been reaching too much? How has Tye Hill looked in single coverage? Is he playing the ball better in the air, or is he still a bit lost? There are observations that you can make, certainly. But you also have to be cognizant that what you're seeing is likely a watered down version of what will be on the field for the regular season when it comes to planning and preparation. I'm not worried when the Rams don't game-plan for the exotic blitzes of Rex Ryan; I am worried when I see Rams defenders missing numerous tackles when playing the Falcons. Hopefully that makes sense.
    It's funny you say this, because I'm not even sure the Rams game-planed opponents during the regular season under Linehan. That's why their pre-season struggles translated into the regular.

    I also think that's why after Linehan left and Haslett took over they improved so much - they started actively game planning opponents.. lol

    I could be wrong about that, but that's what it seemed like. It's either that or Linehan just sucked at going over game film and coming up with an attack.

    And I can't believe I just brought up Linehan. Ugh. Thought I'd forgot all of that.

  13. #13
    maxxdigger's Avatar
    maxxdigger is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    mo
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    I have seen in many threads about the lions going 4-0 in the preseason and then goin 0-16 the rest of the way. Well if we all takes this as a matter of fact that doesn't make much sense. Untill we look at it this way most of the games they won was in the 4th quater AKA the backups not the starters. So when you look at that proves just about what everybody has already posted on here.

    The Rams starters look to be so so leading up to the regular season at least on offense.
    the Defense could loose alot of games for the rams unless the play is picked up dramaticaly

    And if preseason doesnt matter than why did billy B of the patriots pick up his workouts because of last years pre season games hummmmm (very good question) And I believe that just about everyone in the nfl networkand espn all agree he is the best coach in the nfl right now

  14. #14
    maxxdigger's Avatar
    maxxdigger is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    mo
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    It's funny you say this, because I'm not even sure the Rams game-planed opponents during the regular season under Linehan. That's why their pre-season struggles translated into the regular.

    I also think that's why after Linehan left and Haslett took over they improved so much - they started actively game planning opponents.. lol

    I could be wrong about that, but that's what it seemed like. It's either that or Linehan just sucked at going over game film and coming up with an attack.

    And I can't believe I just brought up Linehan. Ugh. Thought I'd forgot all of that.
    linehan left is a nice way of putting it

  15. #15
    btimsah Guest

    Re: Does Pre-Season Matter?

    Quote Originally Posted by maxxdigger View Post
    linehan left is a nice way of putting it


    Amen brother. Amen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Top 2009 NFL Free Agents
    By Nick in forum DRAFT & FA
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: -02-10-2009, 10:26 PM
  2. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-30-2007, 07:16 PM
  3. Chippewa Football Hosts Ohio: Game Notes
    By DJRamFan in forum COLLEGE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-12-2005, 06:50 PM
  4. Cardinal Opens Pac-10 Play vs. Oregon
    By DJRamFan in forum COLLEGE
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -09-25-2005, 07:11 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: -01-22-2005, 07:11 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •