Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

  1. #1
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    I can't be the only one who has noticed that as soon as we get a lead of 7 points or more the Rams play calling gets very conservative.

    We saw it once again today. Bradford was having a very nice day but as soon as we got up 15 we stopped passing the ball unless we were forced to on third down.

    Maybe Fisher and Schotty don't have faith in our passing game but it would be nice to see them go for the kill more often.


  2. #2
    gap's Avatar
    gap
    gap is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Yes, it was nerve racking.

    You have to admit, the Bucs' D did step up, but we played right into their hands.


    gap

  3. #3
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Quote Originally Posted by gap View Post
    Yes, it was nerve racking.

    You have to admit, the Bucs' D did step up, but we played right into their hands.


    gap
    yeah they stepped up but we pretty much stopped throwing the ball unless we were forced to on third down. This has happened on numerous occasions this year.

  4. #4
    SavageRam's Avatar
    SavageRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Maine, USA
    Posts
    433
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    It's not about padding Bradford's stats so he can look pretty like Tom Brady.

    It's about doing whatever it takes to win the game. If going "conservative" and throwing only on third down is what it takes, I say so be it. To this end, Fisher's confidence in the defense and Steven Jackson, and the lack of confidence in o-line protection and the receiver core to preserve a win is well founded.

    Lets say they did continue to call aggressive passing plays (deep in their own zone) just so Bradford could continue "having a very nice day?" What if it resulted in a loss because of a sack-fumble-TD or a pick-six? All we would see on this board would be comments about how Schotty is a bone-head for not using Steven Jackson more. But of course, we all think we know more about play calling than the coaches after the fact, right?

  5. #5
    39WillRunYaOva's Avatar
    39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Yes i think its very frustrating,Fisher sometimes coaches like he has a game managing sup par no talent QB.I dont know why he tries to protect Sam from going out there and blowing the game up,Sam wont ever see stats like that until they loosen the rope with him.They get up a TD or two and completely go into try and run the clock out mode with safe conservative play calling.We gave them multiple chances to comeback because of our inept offense,luckily our Defense stepped up and held the Bucs back.Fisher said at the beginning of the season he was going to treat Sam almost like a rookie,hopefully next year they let him actually attempt to throw us into a win rather than get a lid and sit on it and hide.Winning cures all but you can still see these things so i wont let them go unnoticed.

  6. #6
    Guam rammer's Avatar
    Guam rammer is online now Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Guam
    Age
    45
    Posts
    842
    Rep Power
    18

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Quote Originally Posted by SavageRam View Post
    It's not about padding Bradford's stats so he can look pretty like Tom Brady.

    It's about doing whatever it takes to win the game. If going "conservative" and throwing only on third down is what it takes, I say so be it. To this end, Fisher's confidence in the defense and Steven Jackson, and the lack of confidence in o-line protection and the receiver core to preserve a win is well founded.

    Lets say they did continue to call aggressive passing plays (deep in their own zone) just so Bradford could continue "having a very nice day?" What if it resulted in a loss because of a sack-fumble-TD or a pick-six? All we would see on this board would be comments about how Schotty is a bone-head for not using Steven Jackson more. But of course, we all think we know more about play calling than the coaches after the fact, right?
    Going for the kill is not as easy as everyone thinks. if it were that easy to score so many points it would've happened for us in plenty of other games. People have to realize we don't have a high powered offense and that its our D that keeps us in games. That was the case today. Sam was doing good but the D gave him more opportunities.

  7. #7
    39WillRunYaOva's Avatar
    39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Sam does what schotty tells him he isnt Manning he wont audible ever play to what he likes,its painfully obvious they they manage Sam.Im not saying if we throw all day we will score its not that easy i agree completely,but if they play called more similar to how they do when its do or die or when we need to score even this offense would produce more.I think they take a couple shots and most the time play it safe and try to not loss the game on offense rather than attempt to win with it.Plenty of less talented offenses put up more points than we do.Part of it is play calling stop saying its all Sam not creating.Its a little of both

  8. #8
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    Yes i think its very frustrating,Fisher sometimes coaches like he has a game managing sup par no talent QB.I dont know why he tries to protect Sam from going out there and blowing the game up,Sam wont ever see stats like that until they loosen the rope with him.They get up a TD or two and completely go into try and run the clock out mode with safe conservative play calling.We gave them multiple chances to comeback because of our inept offense,luckily our Defense stepped up and held the Bucs back.Fisher said at the beginning of the season he was going to treat Sam almost like a rookie,hopefully next year they let him actually attempt to throw us into a win rather than get a lid and sit on it and hide.Winning cures all but you can still see these things so i wont let them go unnoticed.
    It's really frustrating. Especially when it's so obvious. Sam was torching the Bucs defense early in the 2nd half but as soon as we went up 15 we pretty much shut the passing game down.

    I can understand not trusting our passing game when it's struggling but they do this even when we are passing well.

    Hopefully next year Fisher will be more comfortable with our bradford, our oline and offensive weapons and this will be less of an issue.

  9. #9
    Fastcat is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Ever think they were trying to control the clock? Clock never stops if u run the ball... Clock stops on an incomplete pass... Ijs

  10. #10
    citr92 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,251
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Ever think they were trying to control the clock? Clock never stops if u run the ball... Clock stops on an incomplete pass... Ijs
    but with a quarter and a half left, don't be so predictable and go with a run run pass punt, doesn't work

    after they scored their 4th td, they stalled because of it, don't let off with a quarter and a half, especially since 2 scored would have let them back in it and potentially be tied if the D didn't get two goal to go stops

  11. #11
    mcpeepants232003's Avatar
    mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    741
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fastcat View Post
    Ever think they were trying to control the clock? Clock never stops if u run the ball... Clock stops on an incomplete pass... Ijs
    a long drive takes up more clock then a 3 and out even if they are all runs.

    Also you don't need to run the clock if you go up 3 or 4 touchdowns.

  12. #12
    39WillRunYaOva's Avatar
    39WillRunYaOva is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    538
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Im sorry i hate the run the ball just to run clock left for the sake of it,call the game how its being given take what the defense throws at you.If the pass is working why would you stop passing,im not saying air it out but dont be so obvious and just run up the middle thinking you will run off an entire half.We dont have the kind of running game to run away an entire game,think of it like this if the run is killing it we get mad when Schotty stops running correct?Im just saying the same goes for the pass if you can see Sam is having success throwing it why stop and get bland with the play calling?All im saying do what works when it works stop trying to over think it.Our offense if given the chance can produce better than it has if you ask me.

  13. #13
    Yodude's Avatar
    Yodude is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    The State of Confusion
    Posts
    1,027
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Quote Originally Posted by 39WillRunYaOva View Post
    Im sorry i hate the run the ball
    Perhaps you should change your user name to 8WillThrowItDownYourThroat then.
    RealRam, Rambos, Nick and 4 others like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

  14. #14
    lostsoul's Avatar
    lostsoul is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    621
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    I wish we would run a little bit more no-huddle.

  15. #15
    bruce4life's Avatar
    bruce4life is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Hemet/San Diego CA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,856
    Rep Power
    31

    Does Rams conservative play calling hurt Bradford?

    Can someone look up or find out Bradford's stats in the shotgun formation compared to dropping back??

    He Seems to thrive in shotgun formation...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Play calling
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: -11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-27-2006, 08:46 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-26-2006, 10:39 PM
  4. Play Calling -Offense
    By LaRamsFanLongTime in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -09-11-2006, 04:13 PM
  5. The Rams Need To Change Up The Play Calling A Bit
    By ramsbruce in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-14-2005, 05:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •