Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams
  • 1 Post By laram0
  • 1 Post By AvengerRam

Thread: Does Sam Bradford Have Enough Weapons?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Does Sam Bradford Have Enough Weapons?

So the draft had ended and my brother calls me. The first question out of his mouth is Does Sam Bradford Have Enough Weapons?

If you know me you know I'm firmly in the Bradford supporter camp. But I have to admit there was a long unconformable silence on the phone.... I went through the check list in my head.

He will have a very good offensive line.

He will be in his second year in the same system.

He has nothing but playmakers surrounding him.

He is in year four.

He has a great defense.

YES! Yes he does, he has more then enough to win a lot of games I told him. Will he put up Drew Brees type numbers? I don't know, that depends on how aggressive Fisher will be with a lead. But what I do know is the Rams offense will be anything but predictable in 2013. No longer will we be a team that has to put a ten play drive together in order to score a TD. Bradford will benefit from a 6 yard touch pass that goes for 50 yards. Bradford will benefit from a team that will be hard to match up against across the board. No longer can a team focus on one player and if they shut that player down they have shut down the offense, those days are over!

So I ask you, Does Sam Bradford Have Enough Weapons?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: Does Sam Bradford Have Enough Weapons?

On paper he does. But basically the only somewhat proven commodities we have offensively are Chris Givens and our tight ends. As stacked as we appear on offense, none of the other receivers or running backs have really done a thing yet.

Granted, I THINK we have enough, and on paper it looks like we should be pretty scary. But realistically, the answer is "I don't know".

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Bradford will have to mold with these guys through the first half of the season. It might be a tough transition but I expect Kendricks, Givens, Pettis, and Cook to step up while Bradford molds with the dynamic duo of West Virginia. Afterwards, it should be fun to watch this offense again. Sam managed to pull an 82.6 QB rating with the likes of a patchwork O-line, subpar receivers, and his first year in Schotty's system. I believe Bradford will be fine with talent all around him.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I want to say yes, but it's a tentative yes. (In full disclosure I'm a huge Bradford supporter). There is potential for Bradford's surrounding cast to be very, very good. But at this point, who knows?

The Rams lost a Pro Bowl running back, and we're hoping that Pead/Richardson will step up, but they might not. We're hoping Brian Quick develops into a top tier WR, but he might not. We're hoping that Cook produces more in St. Louis than he did in TN, but he might not. And I think we're all hoping that Austin tears up the NFL, but he might not. We're all hoping Bailey can become a talented outside receiver, but he might not.

The only weapon that I would even consider "established" would be Givens (based on his progression and production last year). In all likelihood, a few of these guys will develop into top talent, and Bradford will have all the support he didn't get these last few years. However, we all know most WR's do take 3 years to fully develop, so it might not be this year.

While this years class might have potential to come in and make a big impact in Year 1, that tends to be more an exception than the rule. I think we'll have a clearer picture in 12 months when the supporting talent isn't almost entirely 1st or 2nd year players.

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

I sure hope so.
    Rambos likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

The potential is there for Bradford to have enough weapons, but at this point, it's all theory. The big question marks are can the Richardson/Pead combo replace a future HOFer, and can the young receivers create separation and give Bradford open targets. If those things happen, we're in business.

Truth is offline Registered User

Short answer, yes. Sam really needs to show us what he's got this season. We've beefed up the line, he's got new toys at the WR spot, and while we've lost SJ, I think we've got a corp of RBs that can get the job done. If guys are dropping the ball all the time, or the line can't give him enough time for plays to develop, Sam is off the hook. If he holds the ball too long, throws behind guys underneath, or keeps missing open receivers down field, he's done. I want to see him throw up crazy numbers this season and beyond. However, if this year is a bust, we've got to start thinking about other options. I'm certainly rooting for him.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Snead and Fisher have added plenty of players to the offense. Now it's time for Bradford to bring out the best of what he has to work with.
    Truth likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the right answer is "yes, on paper."

I, for one, really like that the Rams have increased their odds by selecting a group of WRs who will compete for primary roles in the offense. While, from a purely statistical standpoint, it would probably be exceedingly optimistic to predict that they will all pan out as hoped, it is entirely reasonable to expect that at least two of the five will become high quality NFL starters. Add Cook and Kendricks to that mix, and Sam should have enough targets to work with.

The same can be said for the OL. On paper, the Rams should be able to put together a group of 5 players who can give Sam time to throw.

Perhaps the biggest help for Sam, though, will be in the fact that we now have players who can turn a simple pass play of under 15 yards into a gain of 50. As much as anyone here may have liked Danny Amendola and/or Brandon Gibson, neither was what you would call a "big play" WR.
    Rambos likes this.