Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Does Westbrook Signing Set the Bar ?

Certainly Brian Westbrook is in the same class as Steven Jackson, and he has even better stats than Jackson since becoming a full time starter. However, he is almost four years older than the Rams star.

That's why the Eagles resigned him for just a three year deal, worth about $21 million, $13 of it guaranteed over two years. The deal could be worth $8 milion a year if he reaches all his incentives.

That should at least show Jackson what the going rate per year is for a back in his prime. The Rams can go six years at least with Jackson, so a $42 million kind of number, with some incentives to boost that a million a year, seems about right for Jackson, now apparently not happy with the non-negotiating tactics of Eugene Parker, Jackson's third agent since being drafted.

No doubt Jackson sees that Parker is advising a very hard stance that would almost certainly cost Jackson in stats, the backing of his teammates in 2008, and probably would cost his coaches their jobs. Parker has shown he really doesn't care about all that, once holding Emmit Smith out three games into a season.

Jackson needs to report, and go talk to Jay Zygmunt, with a $42 to $45 million number in his head, and about half that guaranteed. It's ridiculous for Jackson to hold out with no negotiations, and he can report, and have a deal done before he ever hits a field anyway. It all seems so simple, and some agent and Jackson will become rich.

It just makes no sense at all that this isn't done.

Barry Waller

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: Does Westbrook Signing Set the Bar ?

I would say "No" for a number of reasons

According to reports...

1.) The Rams have offered him about 7 mil a year

2.) The Rams have offered him 18 mil in signing bonus money

3.) Westbrook showed up to camp

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

First of all, I would rank Jackson a notch or two above Westbrook, regardless of what your stats may say.

That would mean I would not go to management with Westbrook numbers in my head.

Jackson, when healthy is no worse than the second best back in the NFL. Westbrook would rank in the second 5 in my opinion.

So if you are going to management with numbers in your head, make them the top two RB contracts in the league.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    First of all, I would rank Jackson a notch or two above Westbrook, regardless of what your stats may say.

That would mean I would not go to management with Westbrook numbers in my head.

Jackson, when healthy is no worse than the second best back in the NFL. Westbrook would rank in the second 5 in my opinion.

So if you are going to management with numbers in your head, make them the top two RB contracts in the league.
    Westbrook is almost all of the Eagles offense- without him, they are a completely different team. I'm not really sure why you rate him 2 notches below Jackson. I know that Jackson is 4 yrs younger.

Career wise,

Jackson has a 4.4 ypc rushing avg and 30 rushing TDs.
    Jackson has a 8.3 ypc receiving avg and 6 TDs

Westbrook has a 4.7 ypc rushing avg and 27 rushing TDs
    Westbrook has a 9.2 ypc receiving avg and 23 TDs

Now, living in Philly, I get to see the Iggles a lot and that fool Reid is a lot like Martz in that he likes to throw the ball most of the time, but Westbrook does it all. Jackson has him as a powerback, but Westbrook is faster and a better reciever. I think they are both extremely as important to their respective teams, but maybe Westbrook to the Iggles more so because their WRs always suck. I think the biggest differnce right now is that Westbrook showed up and got the deal done.