• 3 Post By Goldenfleece
  • 1 Post By TylerBishop
  • 1 Post By Rambos
  • 2 Post By laram0

Thread: Dolphins article, interesting

Dolphins article, interesting

Dolphins’ Ross blows another possible big catch

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

The most coveted coach this offseason gave the Miami Dolphins every chance they needed. But in the end, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross chose general manager Jeff Ireland and the team’s current power structure over Jeff Fisher.

Of course, maybe this will work out just fine for the Dolphins. Maybe from among the likes of Cincinnati Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and so many other fine men the team has interviewed, Ross’ Dolphins will find the long-term leader they have so desperately wanted since Don Shula retired in 1995. Maybe, just maybe, the Dolphins will also find the quarterback they have searched for since Dan Marino retired after the 1999 season.

And maybe, just maybe, I’ll weigh 180 pounds by the Fourth of July.

Don’t bet on any of those things to happen. For as wealthy and successful in real estate as Ross has been in his life, the problem this billionaire has in running a football team: NFL teams don’t come with an owner’s manual.

If they did, Ross would have given Fisher the power he wanted, according to three sources familiar with the situation, instead of watching Fisher choose the St. Louis Rams on Friday afternoon. After 17 years of struggling with the penurious ways of Tennessee Titans owner “Bottom Line” Bud Adams and his henchmen (Floyd Reese and Mike Reinfeldt), Fisher knew that if he was going to make this work, he was going to need more power.

Or as one source said of Fisher, he told Ross at one point, “I’ve been a head coach for 17 years and 12 of them sucked because I had to fight for what I wanted.” In other cases, he had to fight against what he didn’t want.

Fisher never wanted to draft quarterback Vince Young with the No. 3 overall pick in 2006. He knew Young was a project so fraught with problems (both physical and mental) that making it work was more difficult than imaginable. Instead, Adams, the man who felt like he was forced to move the franchise from his hometown of Houston, wanted to take fellow Houston native Young in order to get some convoluted form of revenge.

In the process, Adams also cut quarterback Steve McNair, a true team leader, and a guy who could have helped Young get better. Aside from Earl Campbell, McNair might be the greatest player Adams has ever had. Yet, when Adams got a younger option, McNair was tossed aside with zero regard.

And you wonder why the Oilers/Titans have only managed to make the Super Bowl once.

Fisher and McNair took the Titans there in 1999, coming up a yard short of glory. Through that season, Fisher learned the one constant in football: NFL teams are only as good as their owner.

That’s why, when Fisher was dealing with Ross, he was strident about what he needed. He didn’t necessarily want to get rid of Ireland. He was comfortable with Ireland assessing players. He also didn’t have a problem with Carl Peterson being around, even if Peterson has an extremely close relationship with Ross despite having no formal title with the Dolphins. It was Peterson (not Ireland) who reportedly approached Jon Gruden on the Dolphins behalf and Peterson who has sat in on every head coach interview the team has done, according to multiple sources.

However, when it came down to it, Fisher wanted the final say. He wanted the power to shape the roster how he saw fit. He wanted to know he could sign certain players to long-term contracts when necessary and spend on critical free agents.

He wanted stability in the organization from a football standpoint. Those are things Ross should want. Yet Ross fails to see stability even when it’s staring him in the face.

A year ago, Ross bumbled his way through the Jim Harbaugh talks, turning coach Tony Sparano into a duck wishing it was strong enough to call lame. A week ago, Ross declared that he wasn’t going to let money get in the way of signing Fisher. To be sure, money wasn’t the issue. Power was the key because Fisher knows how much more important it is to have that for the success of a team rather than a big paycheck.

Now, Fisher goes to a St. Louis team that he surprisingly didn’t think was a hands-down better choice from the start. The Rams have quarterback Sam Bradford, defensive end Chris Long, left tackle Roger Saffold and the No. 2 overall selection in the draft, which could be wide receiver Justin Blackmon or a treasure-trove of picks in trade for one of the top quarterbacks in the draft (Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III).

That’s a good foundation. A seemingly better foundation than the Dolphins have right now. The Dolphins have left tackle Jake Long – who is now fighting injuries – the nucleus of a good defense (Cameron Wake, Karlos Dansby and Vontae Davis), but only Matt Moore at quarterback. With either the No. 8 or 9 pick in the draft (it will be decided by a coin flip with the Carolina Panthers), the chances of getting a great quarterback were slim.

Still, Fisher was willing to go for it with the Dolphins.

Sadly, Ross has let another chance slip through his fingers.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins article, interesting

I hear all this stuff about Fisher not wanting to take Young 3rd overall in 2006. But I never hear anything about who he wanted instead

Is that because the guy he wanted instead was Matt Leinart who has done absolutely nothing?

Rammed is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I hear all this stuff about Fisher not wanting to take Young 3rd overall in 2006. But I never hear anything about who he wanted instead

Is that because the guy he wanted instead was Matt Leinart who has done absolutely nothing?
    It's not about the brilliance of the other wouldbe choice it's about him not having the say in it.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

If this article doesnt do anything else it should show all of the Matt Kahlil supports that we should draft blackmon or trade down... Nothing else

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Who says he wanted a quarterback in that draft at all? Maybe he was planning on trying to keep McNair around for a bit longer. Among the QB candidates that year, local Vandy product, Jay Cutler would have been the popular choice with the fans. I'm not really that high on Cutler, either, but that's beside the point. I think the message here is really that it is difficult to win if the owner insists that you must do so with the players he likes.

I do wonder just how much power Fisher is going to have. It is important that Fisher should have a strong voice in draft and personnel issues, but the historical track record for coaches who try to be both Head Coach and General Manager is not great. I hope that he and the organization will be able to strike the right balance to make sure he gets what he needs while still letting the professional talent evaluators do their job.
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -01-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    HUbison, THOLTFAN81 and Rammed like this.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Take this whole story that's been created recently with a grain of salt. None of this information is coming from Rams org. or Fisher. This is what Miami has chosen to leak out. This idea that Fisher was too power hungry for the job in Miami....

Schefter reported yesterday that all the leaks and false information now appearing from the Dolphins org. reaffirms his decision. He wants a solid straight shooting owner who is a man of his word.
    Truth likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I do wonder just how much power Fisher is going to have. It is important that Fisher should have a strong voice in draft and personnel issues, but the historical track record for coaches who try to be both Head Coach and General Manager is not great. I hope that he and the organization will be able to strike the right balance between to make sure he gets what he needs while still letting the professional talent evaluators do their job.
    I'm wondering the same thing the Rams have yet to put anything on their website about the hire, I want to see his title, did he get the Executive VP title. I would think he got a lot of control and will have a strong voice but not the only voice. Fisher said he only enjoyed 5 of his 17 years with the Titans, due to the owner. Lets hope this is the start of building that Patriot model Stan was talking about. Maybe just maybe Fisher is a great coach that never had the cap space, a strong voice to get the player he wanted. Many fans not just Ram fans are saying he's never won anything and he's just a .500 coach. Lets hope with more control he becomes the next Belichick never winning with the Titans but once he gets with an owner that has the deep pockets and would listen he becomes a super bowl winner.
    Last edited by Rambos; -01-14-2012 at 10:49 AM.
    viper likes this.

punahou is online now Registered User

You never know- that may have been a good pick for them considering Norm Chow was to be the OC. In fact..... I wonder IF Norm going to TN was somewhat swayed by the allure of getting a familiar persona in his college QB?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm all for giving Fisher as much power as he needs to turn our organization around.
    Trevor and RamsRule99 like this.