RamWraith is offline Registered User

Dolphins trade for Rams' RB Lamar Gordon

By JASON COLE

jcole@herald.com

The Dolphins completed a trade with St. Louis late Tuesday night to acquire running back Lamar Gordon in an attempt to upgrade their sagging running game.

According to an NFL source, the Dolphins made the move after several days of talks with the Rams and other teams. The Dolphins likely had to pay a steep price of either a third- or fourth-round pick for Gordon, but get a player they have liked for several years.

The deal is contingent upon Gordon passing a physical today. He left St. Louis early Wednesday morning. Gordon was a third-round pick in 2002 from North Dakota State and the Dolphins were considering him that year before completing a trade for Ricky Williams.

The 6-foot-1, 228-pound Gordon has played sparingly behind St. Louis star running back Marshall Faulk, rushing 136 times for 526 yards over his two seasons. He fell further on the depth chart with the Rams after the team took running back Steven Jackson in the first round this season, but St. Louis was reluctant to give him up because of fears that Faulk will breakdown physically.

Gordon, who is expected to take over for the combination of Travis Minor, Sammy Morris and Leonard Henry, has two years remaining on his contract at the league minimum salary.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Dolphins trade for Rams' RB Lamar Gordon

Grrrr. I liked Lamar Gordon, 'really thought he was on his way to becoming a reliable, yard pounding producer for the Rams.

It is over now. Best wishes in Miami.

Arlen Harris: you've got heart. Your time has come.

AugustaRamFan is offline Registered User

I liked Lamar as well. But he seemed a little too fragile to maintain a heavy workload.

Reborn Guest

Harris baby.

Reborn

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

As hard up as the Dolphins were I feel that Gordon was given up a bit CHEAPLY...ESPECIALLY if we only got a FOURTH round pick for him.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

If we traded a 3rd round pick for a 4th round pick, then we are idiots...At the minimum it should be 3rd..hopefully 2nd... :confused:

Thats what I thought too...the guy has shown he can cut it as a ball carrier in the NFL...IMO he was worth a 2. I know he has had fumble'itis' issues and some health concerns but hes young(moldable) and they ARE desperate.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams traded Gordon, a third-round pick in 2002 who was third if not fourth on our depth chart with a short resumé marred by injuries, to the Miami Dolphins for their third round pick in 2005. Considering that Dillon was had for a second round pick and only a few years ago Pro Bowl QB Drew Bledsoe was barely worth a first rounder, I don't see how people can say we got ripped off. We were lucky to get a third rounder for Gordon, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

A 3d(if thats what it is) would be palatable for him...but a 4th wouldnt be. I just thought a team in such dire straights for a RB would give a bit more for a young,big RB with alot of up side who has already shown he CAN produce in the NFL when given a chance. He did avg. 4.2 ypc last year...not exactly chump change. He had some trouble with his ankle and as I understand it he played through it while it went un-diagnosed. I think they got a good deal on the kid.

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

It was for a 3rd round pick. Too bad there couldn't be a stipulation that said if he rushed for over a 1,000 yds it would get bumped up to a 2nd.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Quote Originally Posted by sprtsmac
    It was for a 3rd round pick. Too bad there couldn't be a stipulation that said if he rushed for over a 1,000 yds it would get bumped up to a 2nd.
    Yeah, a conditional upgrade would have been a plus. But still, a 3rd round pick for a guy third on the depth chart is good.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Yeah, a conditional upgrade would have been a plus. But still, a 3rd round pick for a guy third on the depth chart is good.
    I agree. You can tell the Dolphins are getting desperate. Not that Gordon isn't worth a third-rounder, but the Rams had the obvious leverage.

Well based on the article, it makes it sound as if the Dolphins paid about as much as Gordon was possibly worth. To say a third or fourth round was a steep price probably tells us a good bit about the perception of Gordon's worth. That's why I think for us to get a third round pick out of this and basically rent a RB for two seasons was a pretty good deal.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Although it would be nice to have Gordon on the roster this year for depth, a third round pick is a better price than I thought we'd get for Gordon. Clearly, his performance against the Raiders, coupled with the Dolphins' dire need for a RB, resulted in a higher price than the Rams thought Gordon could get in the offseason.