34. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer domination on one side of the ball

24 70.59%
  • I prefer balance on both sides of the ball

10 29.41%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Domination or Passable?

Which would you rather do: Dominate on one side of the ball, be it offense or defense, or be average on both sides of the ball.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Re: Domination or Passable?

If by balance you mean being equally mediocre, than no. You can take the logic stream from here.
    Semper Fi!

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Tough question. I'm assuming that along with domination, the other side of the ball is really bad? I guess you gotta ask yourself "can you make the playoffs being totally average?" and "can you do it with a totally one-sided team?" I went with a balanced team, but I believe if a team is trying to take that next step to go deep into the playoffs, it would they would take similar paths.

A one-sided team is a couple players away from upgrading their offense/defense, and a balanced team is a few play makers away from dominating on offense/defense. A couple of one-sided teams that come to mind are the Colts from a couple years ago (awful defense) and the Ravens (bad offense). It seemed that the Colts achilles heal was always their defense (until that string of good playoff performances) but it always seemed to be holding them back. Then again, how many average teams make the playoffs?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Well let's see .. last year we couldn't stop anyone consistently with our defense, and we could barely score on offense. I'd say that overall we were pretty well balanced .. Whatever we are in 2010, I hope we can at least move up from a single win to multiple wins ..

Bralidore(RAMMODE) Guest

Wells lets use Madden Scale here. Team strength 0-99.

A Balanced Team is 75 Offense, 75 Defense

While a dominating one-sided team would be 90 Offense, 60 Defense or vice-versa

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Which would you rather do: Dominate on one side of the ball, be it offense or defense, or be average on both sides of the ball.

Easy analogy please refer to the Bears of 07 when their D and Special Teams actually outscored their O. The made it to the Superbowl but were routed having a terrible QB fumble away the game. The real reason that having a dominating side of the ball is better is because it re leaves pressure from the other side of the ball and places it on the opposition. It can be a huge strength and a huge weakness, but in all you are going no where with mediocrity, but with one dominant aspect you stand a chance.

Lets hope for a double headed dominant monster like last years Steelers!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I prefer a stronger offense than defense. I really dont think there is such a thing as a clearly dominant team. Most teams have some sort of balance. I think a Dominating offensive team these day would be the Colts and the Saints. Their defenses aren't terrible, but their offenses are just way better. I think the Rams have the pieces to be a manageable defense you have the playmaking Safety OJ, The leader and key cog at MLB Lauranatis, the pretty good corner in Bartell, and the pass rusher Long. Is that Dwight Freeney, Garry Bracket, Bob Sanders, and Kelvin Hayden? Is it even Will Smith, Jonathan Vilma, Darren Sharper, and Jabari Greer? No not yet, but they could be easily because they are all young with tons of potential. If the Rams can build better depth and get the second star on the d-line like the Freeny Mathis Combo or Smith Ellis combo. IMO we are a Suh, a decent LB, and depth away from a good defense.

Offense is where we need to put in the most work. Line has some really good players in Bell, Smith and Brown, so you really don't need all stars on the right side. Even though today you don't necessarily need an all pro running back the Rams have one and his versatility is definately a plus. Its obvious the Rams need a Franchise QB, but they need weapons just as much. If the Rams found a bonified number 1 receiver and TE that is matchup problem for DBs and LBs we have the young complimentary receivers to have a great receiving core.

IMO top top priorities in no specific order. Dominant DL mate for long (IMO DE or DT doesn't matter), Number 1 receiver, and a Franchise QB. Not saying we don't have other needs, but if Billy D could fills those top 3 holes it will take the Rams a long way right now and in the future.

Dominating D Guest

IBetcha you can't guess what I voted for???

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Wells lets use Madden Scale here. Team strength 0-99.

A Balanced Team is 75 Offense, 75 Defense

While a dominating one-sided team would be 90 Offense, 60 Defense or vice-versa
    The madden scale....... Anyways I prefer domination on the offensive side. The GSOT proved that defense doesn't win championships! Oh wait, mike jones saved us, so I guess defense does win championships...

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

It's a great question really.

My vote is to be dominate on one side of the ball. The question in my mind is which side?

The NFL via continuing rule changes that favor the offense has made the league an offensive league. So do we focus on the offense or go against the grain and focus on the defense?

I guess unless we come up with a franchise type QB we should focus on the D.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I prefer the Rams' scoreboard number be larger than the opponents' scoreboard number.

I could give two poops about what the numbers are, just as long as they achieve the desired relevant contrast.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I picked too be a balanced team. Although I personally would love to see the rams build a dominating defence. Their if just a certain swagger and respect that comes from that.

For me having a balanced team means that you are just a maybe a piece or two away from banging on a championship door. I feel that just dominating one side of the ball a little uneasy. It is difficult to watch I find knowing that teams can just game plan so easily against that.

I.E if the other team has a strong offence but a mediocre defence than you just run the clock on them pound the ball. If they have a strong defence and a week offence. You make sure to keep their defence on the field for as long as you can to they will get tired and deflated.

Go Rams

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

i would love to outscore teams in a track meet. dominating offense is more exciting.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

macrammer is offline Registered User

I would prefer a dominating offense with a passable d. I do think with spags, it will be just the opposite. Whatever it takes to get the W

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The madden scale....... Anyways I prefer domination on the offensive side. The GSOT proved that defense doesn't win championships! Oh wait, mike jones saved us, so I guess defense does win championships...
    Actually, the 1999 GSOT had a dominant defense to go along with that dominant offense.

I think defenses help win championships. A great offense combined with a decent defense seems to be a winning formula these days, although it can work the other way judging by the success the Steelers have had recently.

My preference would be to have a dominant offense, to be able to keep your team in games or ahead, with the ability to come from behind if necessary. I also think a high scoring offense helps a defense by keeping pressure on the opposing team, taking them out a comfortable game plan and rhythm, which often leads to mistakes. The GSOT did this, as have the Saints the last few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast