• I prefer domination on one side of the ball

24 70.59%
  • I prefer balance on both sides of the ball

10 29.41%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Re: Domination or Passable?

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Actually, the 1999 GSOT had a dominant defense to go along with that dominant offense.
    I wouldn't call the Rams defense that year dominant, but they certainly were good. I think their skill on the defense that year had to do with a combination of talent and what mike said, the other offense trying to play catch up all game and thus making mistakes due to their hastiness.

I would probably have to be in the dominant defensive club. I love shutdown defenses when its my team. If you can shut down an offense your offense doesn't have to play catch up to win games and can methodically execute an offensive game plan in peace so to speak.

Also, when you have a dominant defense you have the liberty to spend a draft loading up on offensive talent.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I wouldn't call the Rams defense that year dominant, but they certainly were good.
    I guess "dominant" is open to interpretation. In 1999, the Rams were #4 in points allowed and #6 in Total Defense. To me, that's pretty dominant, although they were obviously not the 1985 Bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    I would probably have to be in the dominant defensive club. I love shutdown defenses when its my team. If you can shut down an offense your offense doesn't have to play catch up to win games and can methodically execute an offensive game plan in peace so to speak.

Also, when you have a dominant defense you have the liberty to spend a draft loading up on offensive talent.
    I think Spags and Devaney agree with you.

By the way, nice thread topic.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I think it's a loaded question. If we aspire to be a contender, average isn't going to cut it. Balance for the Vikings means being in the top ten on both sides of the ball. Being dominant on one side of the ball has only consistently worked for the Colts when their defense was at least average or better, too.

We just need to get better across the board and worry about whether we're going to try to be "dominant" when we have enough talent that it's even a feasible objective.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I think it depends on when you ask that question. If a team has just hired a new coaching staff, redone the front office, is young and rebuilding as we are, I prefer being dominant on one side of the ball. Preferrably defense.

That is to say, I'd like our draft to reflect that we are building a strong defense first. And that is why I would've taken Aaron Curry over Jason Smith last year. Not that he is a better player, but this time last year he was certainly viewed by most as the best defensive player coming out. The same obviously holds true this year with my support of Suh as our first pick should we not aquire more picks by trading down.

With a veteran team I'd probably like a balance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12