Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Don Banks Wants To Snub Torry Holt From The Pro Bowl

By Don Banks SI.com

"My list of glaring Pro Bowl snubs starts with explosive Tampa Bay receiver Joey Galloway, who lost out to St. Louis' Torry Holt. Galloway had more yards than Holt (1,152 to 1,128) on fewer catches (71 to 88), with a better average (16.2 to 12.8) and the same number of scoring receptions (eight). Galloway has had a true renaissance season for the Bucs, who are on the cusp of making the playoffs for the first time since winning the Super Bowl in 2002. Holt's Rams are going nowhere."

What this fool Don Banks doesn't mention or realize is that Torry has missed 2 games plus some of a 3rd game, where as Galloway has played in every game this season.

So Holt is deserving over Galloway. :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

BoomGoesTheDynamite! Guest

Re: Don Banks Wants To Snub Torry Holt From The Pro Bowl

I would tend to agree with him. Galloway has had an amazing comeback season. Plus his team has done a lot more than Holt's, which should factor for something.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BoomGoesTheDynamite!
    I would tend to agree with him. Galloway has had an amazing comeback season. Plus his team has done a lot more than Holt's, which should factor for something.
    Holt deserves to go to the Pro-Bowl. His numbers are amazing when you factor in his injury problems and the inconsistencies of Jamie Martin and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Tony Soprano Guest

Torry Hold worked with 3 Different QBs for a significant portion of the season AND an Offensive line that couldn't keep any of the aforementioned QBs upright for many of the deep routes.

Torry was working with significant handicaps all damn season.

That must be factored. Did Don Banks complain about Michael Vick making the Pro-Bowl with the 42nd best completion percentage?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Holt deserves to go to the Pro-Bowl. His numbers are amazing when you factor in his injury problems and the inconsistencies of Jamie Martin and Ryan Fitzpatrick.
    Well, let's not forget that Galloway has been catching balls from Chris Simms this year as well, though one could say that Simms has performed better than any Rams back-up thus far.

Anyways, I suspect Galloway's numbers can be attributed to a couple of things. One, no one else on the Buccaneers roster has stepped up as a weapon. After a great rookie season, Michael Clayton has entered a sophomore slump. His speed has been reduced slightly after offseason surgery, meaning he's not gaining great separation from defenders, and he's facing facing more double teams after that sensational rookie year. Galloway has benefited from this.

But also, I've read the Bucs are using more max protect formations sets in order to help Chris Simms, whom opponents believe they can rattle with lots of blitzing. Who's the one receiver on the field in those sets? Joey Galloway, who according to the same source (The Sporting News) seems to have a better rapport with Simms than Clayton does.

I think you can easily make a case that Galloway deserved to be in the Pro Bowl, but this kind of thing happens every year. And until the league allots more roster spots for the Pro Bowl roster, then this problem will arise next year... and the next... and the next... and so on.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

There are a lot of good players who deserve to be in the Pro Bowl who aren't going. Even the bottom feeders like Houston and Arizona have players who deserve a nod.
    Maybe Banks should be addressing the fact that the Pro Bowl is nothing more than a popularity contest instead of whining about how someone didn't get voted in. The whole system needs to be redone so only those who truly deserve a trip get to go. Thought on how this could be done need to be sent to TPTB. Maybe select a fixed number of players from each team...that would fit in better with the parity idea.

MFranke is offline Registered User

I think Banks needs to go bark up a different tree.

Torry is 3rd in the conference in receptions, 3rd in yards per game (throwing out TO), tied for 2nd in TDs, 6th in total yardage. He's got nothing to apologize for, especially because he does it every year, unlike Galloway, who's cracking the 1,000 yard mark for the first time since 1998. With Moss in Oakland and TO fired by the Eggles, Torry's the elite WR in the NFC. He's a team player, and always conducts himself with class. He's earned the status of being an "automatic" Pro Bowl pick any time he has a good season (which is pretty much every season).

All that said, I would figure Torry's going to skip the game to get his knee worked on anyway, and I assume Galloway's the 1st alternate, so he'll be in the game.

--Mike

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Joey Galloway, who lost out to St. Louis' Torry Holt. Galloway had more yards than Holt (1,152 to 1,128) on fewer catches (71 to 88), with a better average (16.2 to 12.8) and the same number of scoring receptions (eight).
    Don, when you can explain the Vick selection......then I'll be ready to listen to the Galloway "snub" for Holt.

Not going to the Pro Bowl
    Mark Brunell - 2797 yards, 59%, 20 TDs, 87.0 rating
    Drew Bledsoe - 3188 yards, 61%, 21 TDs, 86.1 rating
    Brad Johnson - 1390 yards, 61%, 8 TDs, 83.7 rating
    Eli Manning - 3314 yards, 53%, 22 TDs, 75.4 rating
    Brett Favre - 3305 yards, 62%, 19 TDs, 73.1 rating

Going to the Pro Bowl
    Michael Vick - 2136 yards, 54%, 13 TDs, 71.8 rating

For that matter, 3 IR'd QBs who still have better numbers than Vick
    Marc Bulger - 2297 yards, 67%, 14 TDs, 94.4 rating
    Kurt Warner - 2713 yards, 65%, 11 TDs, 85.8 rating
    Donovan McNabb - 2507 yards, 59%, 17 TDs, 85.0 rating
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Ask 50 starting NFL CBs who they'd rather have to cover one on one.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Don Banks Wants To Snub Torry Holt From The Pro Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Don, when you can explain the Vick selection......then I'll be ready to listen to the Galloway "snub" for Holt.

Going to the Pro Bowl

Well said here here , Bison I dont Think don can explain ... We like alot of other teams have players that are very good players but had a bad yr for what ever reason , Its the players production that counts nothing more , Thats what should always count in my opinion ...
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -12-22-2005 at 11:53 AM.

jkramsfan Guest

does any ram fan really care what don banks has to say?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan
    does any ram fan really care what don banks has to say?
    No, but it does give us something to talk about while we wait out the season.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan Guest

good point

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison

Going to the Pro Bowl

You know, I hate to go off topic here, but I'm disappointed at the lack of respect Marc Bulger has gotten in this regard.

I've been listening to Sirius NFL Radio for a couple hours a day and thus far a number of the hosts have talked about how disappointing the NFC QB selections are. And what's the first thing they say when looking at why the NFC doesn't have a strong QB unit in the Pro Bowl? "Well the McNabb injury was huge."

Year, Donovan McNabb's 85 QB Rating and 59% completions will be sorely missed at the Pro Bowl. Nevermind Bulger's near 2300 yards, 67% completions, and 94.4 rating.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Is don banks related to tony banks? Personally, i would rather hear the pro bowl views from ernie banks.

Av hit the nail on the head. go ask the dbs who is better.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast