Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Donnie Avery or DeSean Jackson? Bad luck or bad draft?

Donnie Avery or DeSean Jackson? Bad luck or bad draft?
    BY REID LAYMANCE | Posted: Monday, December 20, 2010 11:06 am

THE WATER COOLER:

In the 2008 draft, the Rams went for Houston wide receiver Donnie Avery at the top of the second round instead of Cal's DeSean Jackson, who went 16 spots later to the Eagles. On Sunday, Jackson returned a punt 65 yards on the last play of the game to give the Eagles a win over the Giants. Avery is on injured reserve for the Rams. Bad luck or bad drafting?

BRYAN BURWELL:

I wish I could blame it all on bad luck, but this was an organizational decision to bypass Jackson because the decision makers within the Rams front office firmly believed that Jackson's off-field baggage and attitude were a detriment and he wouldn't fit in with the new concept of the direction the organization was heading.

But even before Avery's injury, his early production did not measure up to Jackson's explosive contributions to the Eagles. Maybe we will revisit this again next year and see that Avery is the big-play threat general manager Billy Devaney thinks he is. Maybe with Bradford in his second season and with a healthy Mark Clayton and a fully recovered Danario Alexander up to speed on the playbook, things will start clicking for this offense and everyone will believe that Avery is Jackson's equal. But that's a lot of catching up to do. A lot.

JEFF GORDON:

Bad drafting. The Rams had concerns about DeSean Jackson's make-up, but he was a spectacular collegiate player. Avery offered speed, but coming from a spread offense put him at a disavantage. Avery has had tough luck with injuries, but it's difficult to imagine him matching Jackson's impact if healthy. DeSean has given the Eagles staff some headaches in his time, but there is no denying his game-breaking skill.

KATHLEEN NELSON:

More of the latter than the former. I went back through the notes from NFLdraftscout.com, which had Jackson ranked second among wide receivers, Avery as No. 11, so the Rams valued Avery above nine other wideouts as well. It also indicated that Avery was more likely a third-rounder than a second rounder.

One of the knocks on Jackson was that scouts likenend him to "Devin Hester, but he is not in that class yet as a returner." I think he's worked on that shortcoming a little bit.

Here's the bottom line: Avery has played 31 games and has 100 receptions for 1,263 yards with 2 kick returns for 40 yards.

Jackson: 44 games, 169 receptions, 3,092 yards, 99 punt returns for 1,112 yards and four TDs.

It's not even close, even when you subtract Avery's lost season. Jackson played in 31 games, with 124 receptions, 2,068 yards, 79 punt returns for 881 yards and three TDs.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Donnie Avery or DeSean Jackson? Bad luck or bad draft?

I don't really want to say it's a dumb question,but in some respect it is, there is no question this was a wrong move on the Rams part, I understand why they did it but on Avery's best day he is not as good as Jackson who continues to make plays week after week while our guy just watches from the sidelines.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Burwell, Gordon, Nelson...all idiots. The Redskins, Packers, Bills, Broncos & Bengals all chose another WR when Jackson was available. Are they all bad drafting organizations too? No, just no one knew he'd be this good. Judging the Avery pick like this in hindsight is foolishness.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

It's interesting: Do we take a player who has been electrifying, hasn't been injured that much, but a guy whose somewhat a troublemaker? He's been on a good Eagles team, so who knows if he'd be poison in a locker room that rarely won games. Regardless, I think we should've taken him despite the baggage (and this is before seeing how good he really is).

I like Avery; I want to like Avery, but considering he's been hurt/non-productive...well, yeah, hindsight's 20/20.

However, Bradford could very well be the ingredient Avery needs to finally become a legitimate deep-threat for us. Who knows. It's really a shame what happened in the pre-season.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I'm a character guy. Only when you're already established with a great team and/or locker room can you afford to gamble on a guy of questionable character. The Rams didn't have that luxury and went with Avery. Can't fault them for that, although it's obvious who the more productive player has been.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Can't stand Jackson, can't stand him at all. Every time I see him do some stupid celebration *before* the touchdown I want to reach through my TV and smack him. Running a long the goal line from one end of the endzone to the other with two people chasing you is not good football, it's being an idiot.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Can't stand Jackson, can't stand him at all. Every time I see him do some stupid celebration *before* the touchdown I want to reach through my TV and smack him. Running a long the goal line from one end of the endzone to the other with two people chasing you is not good football, it's being an idiot.
    I want to make the case that he was trying to run the clock all the way to 0 secs so the Giants had no way of coming back, but since it is DeSean Jackson....
    Last edited by RockinRam; -12-20-2010 at 04:34 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Burwell, Gordon, Nelson...all idiots. The Redskins, Packers, Bills, Broncos & Bengals all chose another WR when Jackson was available. Are they all bad drafting organizations too? No, just no one knew he'd be this good. Judging the Avery pick like this in hindsight is foolishness.
    You're assuming that's the case, it may or may not be. For all we know, teams knew he'd be good but passed for the same reason the Rams did - attitude/character concerns. Jackson was viewed as a first round talent by many before the draft actually happened, so it was clear he had skill.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

So let me see if I have this straight......a team drafted a player who has not played as well as another player at the same position who was drafted later.

well, my goodness, stop the presses. This is breaking news!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

STOP THE PRESS!!! Jackson is also benefactor of other talent around him and a mobile QB. I wouldn't yet indict Avery as a bust!!! Avery is fast and talented he just had some bad luck. Another draft and free agency believe me this guy will be exciting, once other players can give him an opportunity to free up. Even if he was healthy this year teams would keep close tabs on him because other than SJax what other threat do we have. NEXT YEAR is gonna be our breakout barring players lockout.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

QUINNtessentialTruth is online now Registered User

DeSean Jackson's is athletic quick and ridiculously agility talented. However how would you justify picking him over Avery? A 5'10 160 Pound WR. Yeah we all could have predicted he would have turned out this good. The guys who wrote this are idiots. Hindsight is always 20/20. Donnie Avery was the safe pick at WR back then.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You're assuming that's the case, it may or may not be. For all we know, teams knew he'd be good but passed for the same reason the Rams did - attitude/character concerns. Jackson was viewed as a first round talent by many before the draft actually happened, so it was clear he had skill.
    Well considering most "experts" had Devin Thomas, Limas Sweed, and James Hardy rated above Jackson, I don't get any of these revisionist articles. They all had skill, but no one knew Jackson would be the best of the bunch.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post

I could not agree with you more. I hate when he does that, he does it every chance he gets.

I think he did that to take time off but time was already at 0:00.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

He may be better, but I do not want a kid who will stop BEFORE the goalline, turn around and look at defenders, then fall backwards in the endzone. What an arrogant jerk. The league would be better off without that kind of stupid childish showboating. He's going to usher in a bunch of new kids who will do the same exact stupid taunting. The league needs to put a serious stop to it. I consider that conduct detrimental to the game.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    He may be better, but I do not want a kid who will stop BEFORE the goalline, turn around and look at defenders, then fall backwards in the endzone. What an arrogant jerk. The league would be better off without that kind of stupid childish showboating. He's going to usher in a bunch of new kids who will do the same exact stupid taunting. The league needs to put a serious stop to it. I consider that conduct detrimental to the game.
    I figured him being knocked senseless like a little kid from that concussion hit would have knocked some sense into him...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast