Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Donnie Avery Done

This blows chunks. With Brooks Foster gone and Avery hurt, now we need to get Denario Alexander up to speed.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Speaking of Welker, he showed a lot of class when he made the effort to give Avery the glad hand and some words of encouragement as Donnie was carted off the field.
    I love Welker as much as I hate the Pats.

He doesn't have to come play for us but I really wish Wes would stop helping Dr. Evil and his band of merry men win.

He is too good for them.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by The Rammer View Post
    Not his fault here. He did everything to come into this season strong. ACL injuries just happen sometimes, no matter what kind of shape you are in.
    I don't think anyone is saying it's his fault, but that his body seems to continually let him down. I really hope he can come back, but it looks to me like he's a Ki-jana Carter type of player who for whatever reason is snake bitten when it comes to staying healthy.

I love the guy, his attitude and work ethic. I would like nothing more than to see him reach a point where injuries are in his past.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctious View Post
    I love Welker as much as I hate the Pats.

He doesn't have to come play for us but I really wish Wes would stop helping Dr. Evil and his band of merry men win.

He is too good for them.
    I completely agree. Wes Welker as a New England Patriot just seems so wrong.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Gordon: Avery's demise makes Bradford's job tougher

JEFF GORDON | Posted: Saturday, August 28, 2010 3:00 pm | (22) Comments

Font Size: Default font size Larger font size Share Sam Bradfordís stellar preseason showing at New England showed new majority Rams owner Stan Kroenke that there could be hope for this NFL team after all.

But Donnie Averyís season-ending injury offered a reality check, reminding Kroenke and everybody else that the Rams are still the Rams. They have a LOT of issues to resolve after winning just six games in the last three seasons.

The Rams feared the worst when Avery went down Thursday night. The injury looked bad when it happened. Initial examinations suggested the worst.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo hoped for better news . . . but around Rams Park, such miracles have been scarce in recent seasons. As expected, Averyís ACL tear will sideline him for the season.

This is a high-impact injury. Avery was the one Rams receiver capable of stretching the field. He was one of the few big-play threats in this offense.

The Rams have had spirited receiver competition in camp, with little Danny Amendola making great strides, reliable Laurent Robinson coming back from injury and explosive rookie Mardy Gilyard learning the ropes.

Injury-prone Keenan Burton and big Brandon Gibson also got back onto the mix. Former Mizzou star Danario Alexander came aboard, hoping to prove that he could help sooner than later after undergoing further surgical repairs.

The Rams coaches also liked a couple of fine special teams candidates at the position, veteran Jordan Kent and rookie Dominque Curry.

But, really, how many of these wide receivers would even be depth guys for other NFL teams?

The demise of Avery injury raised three issues for long-suffering Rams fans:

This injury reiterated the teamís inability to upgrade through the draft in recent years. Averyís nagging injuries and slow development caused some to regard him as a bust Ė and now this blow threatens his career.
    The Rams football people opted not to upgrade this position with veteran help. Most notably, a brief dalliance with Terrell Owens went nowhere.
    Averyís demise damaged an already suspect offense. This team also lacks sure-fire weapons at other positions, such as tight end (where rookie Michael Hoomanawanui starred Thursday), fullback and back-up running back. The Rams arenít surrounding their $78 million rookie quarterback with a whole lot besides Steven Jackson.
    Spagnuolo has had terrible luck on the injury front. For that reason, it has been difficult to assess the rebuilding job he and his staff have done.

But the Rams have invited disaster by not stocking more proven depth. GM Billy Devaney was hamstrung by the uncertain ownership situation, but itís fair to suggest he could have secured a few more veterans along the way.

Now that Kroenke is clearly the man at top, will the Rams do something bold? Would this team deal for disgruntled Chargers wide receiver Vincent Jackson?

The Seahawks earlier showed some interest in Jackson, who is threatening to sit out the entire season to get a new long-term contract to his liking.

The Rams franchise has placed an enormous, record-setting bet on Bradford. He simply HAS to develop into a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback, to justify his contract and to elevate this team.

In turn, this team must put him in a position to succeed ASAP. Right now, with Avery done for the year, itís hard to see how that is possible.
    :ramlogo:

eldfan is offline Registered User

ďIn turn, this team must put him in a position to succeed ASAP. Right now, with Avery done for the year, itís hard to see how that is possible.Ē

I maybe the only one who feel this way but I donít think his lost is as bad as some think. Itís not like he is an elite receiver IMO he several notches below that. On Gordon comments about, he donít see how Bradford can succeed now thatís Avery is gone. IMO if Bradford is not going to succeed this year I donít think Avery will have anything to do with that. He was second on the team with catches last year with 47 behind SJ and had just over 560 yards those numbers donít sound like they canít be replaced by the current group of receivers. Donít get me wrong Iím not saying he want be miss Iím saying he can be replace and his lost should not affect weather Bradford will be successful or not.
    :ramlogo:

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    ďIn turn, this team must put him in a position to succeed ASAP. Right now, with Avery done for the year, itís hard to see how that is possible.Ē

I maybe the only one who feel this way but I donít think his lost is as bad as some think. Itís not like he is an elite receiver IMO he several notches below that. On Gordon comments about, he donít see how Bradford can succeed now thatís Avery is gone. IMO if Bradford is not going to succeed this year I donít think Avery will have anything to do with that. He was second on the team with catches last year with 47 behind SJ and had just over 560 yards those numbers donít sound like they canít be replaced by the current group of receivers. Donít get me wrong Iím not saying he want be miss Iím saying he can be replace and his lost should not affect weather Bradford will be successful or not.
    I couldn't agree more! I love everything there.

ramsforeternity Guest

yes we have no WR's but jackson is one of our best catches so you always can throw to him

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12