RockinRam is offline Registered User

Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton

With so much speculating about Holt, Crabtree, and Bennett, a lot of people forget about these two guys, Burton and Avery.

We didn't see as much results as we would have loved to see, but I think Avery played pretty nicely, considering the fact he was hampered by injuries in the beginning of the season.

Burton was also hassled by injuries, and we didn't hear his name much this season.

But, these guys have tons, and I mean TONS of potential. I've watched a couple of their college games, and I was impressed, especially by Burton. When he was in Kentucky, it looked like he wasn't afraid to take a hit, had nice return skills, and could get open on pass plays.

I think that they didn't really fit in with Saunders offensive schemes too well, and they had a steep rookie learning curve. During this off-season though, I hope that their skills will be used in the WCO with Shurmur.

Anyone else agree?
    Last edited by RockinRam; -02-09-2009 at 11:41 PM.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton

Desean Jackson looked pretty good last year with Shurmer, so I am optimistic Donnie will continue his development into a great NFL wide out. A lot of people including myself thought the only thing Avery can do is run go routes, but after watching the second niner game, I saw the potential for him to be a big time versatile receiver. I thought he was just a burner, but some of the catches he made were ridiculous. He can be a big time target anytime and anywhere during the course of a game.

I also like Burton, I think he can step up and make big contributions to our O. I initially thought he was going to be better than Avery, some of his highlights from Kentucky show the enormous potential he has. If injuries hadn't hampered him I bet he would have been a second round pick with Donnie.

johnnyram is offline Registered User

That is exactly what I'm talking about! Avery and Burton both have alot of potential and sooner than later ,could have the chemistry that Holt and Bruce had. I would love to see Holt retire as a Ram , however if it doesn't work out and he has to go...he did mention last year he would like to play for Carolina...who has a guy by the name of Peppers who is a free agent this year. Sure would be nice to see if a deal could be made. If we can sign some "quality" names early in the off season i think it would definetly send a messege that the new ownership and coaches are for real

blood85 is offline Registered User

Furrey was released by the Lions, I wonder if the Rams would even consider bringing him in to help out these young receivers.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

The future GSOT could be Burton and Avery. We just have to give them time and develope. With the new system, who knows, they might.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Jockelite is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: Donnie Avery and Keenan Burton

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Furrey was released by the Lions, I wonder if the Rams would even consider bringing him in to help out these young receivers.
    There was a reason Furrey was released by the Lions.

-
    Donnie had some good showings, great catches. Burton and Avery were plauged by injuries. As much as I want Holt to stay I think forthe Rams it would be best for him to go. However I belive if the Rams draft Crabtree, all 3 of them could turn into a great reciver Trio!
    Bennett. Goodbye!

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If we are running the ball alot, you help there development even more. So you could aregue a true number 2 back is more important than adding another WR

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If we are running the ball alot, you help there development even more. So you could aregue a true number 2 back is more important than adding another WR
    And you could argue that a big, solid o-line will pave running lanes for Jackson, and give Bulger time to throw.

HornIt is offline Registered User

A lot of people have a lot of high hopes for Burton, but remember he was a 4th round pick for a reason and he really didn't show a whole lot last year.

I liked the pick and I'm still hopeful, but I wouldn't count on him just yet.

I do think both Avery and Burton will fit nicely in the new offense but they have to stay healthy and continue to progress. And I don't see either of them as a true #1 WR, so I think the Rams still need that guy. Crabtree would be that guy. And you pair him with Avery on the other side and if Burton develops as the slot guy, that would be a nice group with a good array of attributes. They'd pretty much have all the bases covered and it would make it difficult to defend.

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    A lot of people have a lot of high hopes for Burton, but remember he was a 4th round pick for a reason and he really didn't show a whole lot last year.

I liked the pick and I'm still hopeful, but I wouldn't count on him just yet.

I do think both Avery and Burton will fit nicely in the new offense but they have to stay healthy and continue to progress. And I don't see either of them as a true #1 WR, so I think the Rams still need that guy. Crabtree would be that guy. And you pair him with Avery on the other side and if Burton develops as the slot guy, that would be a nice group with a good array of attributes. They'd pretty much have all the bases covered and it would make it difficult to defend.
    If we somehow upgrade our o-line with the FA, and have a plan to upgrade our linebacker and safeties corps later in the draft, I would actually be supportive of getting Crabtree. However, if we don't upgrade the o-line first, I really can't go with the Crabtree pick.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    This is EXACTLY what I wanted to say, I hope shurmur pounds the ball in to open up the receiving lanes..I think it'll give them alot more room to get better instead of them having to be relied upon so much towards the end of the game...

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    And you could argue that a big, solid o-line will pave running lanes for Jackson, and give Bulger time to throw.
    Agreed, really good point Westbrrok really hasn't ever had a great backup or full back, but he has always had a great offensive line and above average Play from McNabb.

Ramer is offline Registered User

I like Avery & Burton. Give them time, I could see them developing into really good receivers.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    If we somehow upgrade our o-line with the FA, and have a plan to upgrade our linebacker and safeties corps later in the draft, I would actually be supportive of getting Crabtree. However, if we don't upgrade the o-line first, I really can't go with the Crabtree pick.
    I'm all for them taking OL but not for reaching for need if that's what it comes down too.

I'm not sure any of the OT's are worth the 2nd overall pick this year. I just want them to pick the best player available at that spot. You have to get a special player there. I think that's probably going to be Crabtree and I think they can definitely use him too.

I'd be cool with a tradedown if they can manage that as well that would get them some more picks and allow them to get an OT a little further down.

If they stay at #2 though, right now I lean toward Crabtree or Curry.