HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Donnie Jones: The record watch

I refuse to walk away from this NFL weekend without finding at least ONE positive. So here goes:

The single season record for punts is held by Chad Stanley ('02) and Bob Parsons ('81) at 114. Donnie Jones is on course to smash that at 160. All he has to do is average 7 per game from here on out and the record is his.

The Rams single season record is held by Larry Swider ('80) at 99. Less than 6 punts a game for the rest of this season will give Jones the record.

The single season record for punt yards is held by Andy Lee ('07) at 4,968. Jones is on course to get 7,760. He only needs to average 299 yards per game (roughly 6 punts) to get that one.

The Rams single season record is held by Rick Tuten ('98) at 4,202. He only needs 248 yards per game (roughly 5.5 punts) to get that one.

With the offense playing like this, I can see him owning all those records by the end of this year. At least he'll get a trip to Hawaii out of it.

Another one that may be reached (but I have my doubts) is Leo Araguz' 16 punts in a single game (10-11-98). His 10 yesterday is an indicator that it's possible, and he's got 15 more chances to get it done.
    Last edited by HUbison; -09-08-2008 at 11:15 AM.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jjigga3000 is online now Registered User

Re: Donnie Jones: The record watch

LOL now that's making lemonade.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Donnie Jones might go down as the single positive thing Linehan did to this organization before being canned.

sunflame is offline Registered User

I am sorry to burst your positive attitude, but what kind of season will the rams have if he breaks that record... I mean seriously is punting that great of stats. Overall it is saying your offense can't do crap on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by sunflame View Post
    I am sorry to burst your positive attitude, but what kind of season will the rams have if he breaks that record... I mean seriously is punting that great of stats. Overall it is saying your offense can't do crap on the field.
    Wow, ironic that a handle like "sunflame" would bring with it such a rain cloud.

Allow me to simplify this thread. It is satirical if you will. The very idea that the beacon on a hill moment for this team was the punter's march to the record books should be seen as sad to the point that surely the original poster (that would be me) did not intend for any serious reflection of the punter's greatness upon the offense.

Just a little humor to brighten this crappiest of Mondays, my young friend.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sunflame View Post
    In honor of one of my favorite commercials...

"Dude?"
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Wow, ironic that a handle like "sunflame" would bring with it such a rain cloud.

Allow me to simplify this thread. It is satirical if you will. The very idea that the beacon on a hill moment for this team was the punter's march to the record books should be seen as sad to the point that surely the original poster (that would be me) did not intend for any serious reflection of the punter's greatness upon the offense.

Just a little humor to brighten this crappiest of Mondays, my young friend.

Sarcasm? What's that?

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Sarcasm? What's that?
    A narrative tool that is hard for some to recognize.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Yeah, the only bad thing about that would be that more punts means less conversions on 3rd down which usually means less points and less wins. But I agree that Donnie is an awesome punter. Didn't he punt the ball like 70 or so yards out of the endzone while platying Miami last year or something?