Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Don't Blame Bulger

This team has some problems. Problems that must be addressed if this team is going to have any success this year.

But, for all the offseason talk, one thing that must be acknowledged at this stage is...

MARC BULGER IS NOT THE PROBLEM.

After two games, here are Bulger's stats:

65 attempts, 47 completions, 72.3% completions, 557 yards, 2 TDs, 2 Ints.

That's a QB rating of 95.5 (and, since it is inevitable that someone will bring that up, that is higher than the 89.2 rating that the Giants QB has).

Marc Bulger is an above average NFL QB, and recent years have demonstrated that a team can win with less.

So give Marc credit for what he has done, and lets focus on the real problems with this team.

djccon is offline Registered User

Re: Don't Blame Bulger

You are absolutely correct - Bulger is NOT the problem. There are things that you can see, like attention to detail, and common sense planning that are completely missing. Was that a plan for Michael Vick? How many times was he going to run that naked bootleg to the left before anyone would catch on? Stupid play calling, stupid decisions (challenging a play that was so painfully obvious that was just poor play on special teams - and Bobby April is gone) kept an inferior Arizona team in the game, and cost us today. The first problem that needs to be addressed is the coaching - ALL of the coaches, not just Martz. I will give credit where it is due - going for it on 4th down twice while down 14, going deep on 2nd and short. But when a team looks unprepared, unmotivated, and completely bewildered, it tells me they were not ready to play - in any facet of the game.

17 points per game will get you about 7-9 in the NFL.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Agreed about Bulger!

Now I'm not so sure you can place the entire blame on the coaches. Sure there have been a few questionable play calls, but the players on defense flat out stunk today. The offensive line did not play that well either. They really could not get the running game going and the protection was not great. Bulger got hammered and still had a good game. The defense got their butts kicked up and down the field. Blown off the ball, missed tackles and generally uninspired play. Poor player execution will not win football games.

:ramlogo:

Yodude is offline Registered User

I agree with you that Bulger is not THE problem, all by himself, but he is certainly a PART of the problem. While he had some good stats today, he should have held on to the ball in the endzone and the interception on the next series certainly hurt also. I'm not naive enough to say he is the whole problem though.

One thing I find interesting however, is that in the offseason, Bulger was a "special" QB, only two games into the season, he is above average. I wonder what you'll be saying at the midpoint and the end of the season. I guess we'll find out.

recent years have demonstrated that a team can win with less.
    Yes teams can win DURING the season with less, but it's a little tougher to win in the playoffs and the Superbowl. The only "lesser" QB's that have done it recently have been Dilfer and Johnson, and they did it with a stellar defense.

and, since it is inevitable that someone will bring that up, that is higher than the 89.2 rating that the Giants QB has
    For someone who's as sick of Warner as you claim to be, you sure continue to bring him up, but OK, I'll play along. I think it's a little too early to make this comparison, as well as it being a cheap shot to Warner to boot. Warner has played about 3 games in the last two years and is still pretty rusty. In addition to that, it's laughable that you would consider this a valid comparison when you look at the offensive weapons the Rams have compared to the Giants. Not to mention that Warner is still learning a new offensive system. With that said, he looked pretty damn good today. I was forced to watch the Giants, it was the only early game on here in PA. Of course 8 turnovers by the 'Skins didn't hurt either. Write this down....by the end of the season, barring injury, of course, Warner will be back to his old self. We can then revisit this topic if you like. However, I'm disinclined to think any of you will want to do that!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

I agree 100% The qb has not been the blame its the poor decisions of our Head Coach you no Our genius who continually makes p..s poor decisions and never seems to get this team as ready to play as capable of. He MM, is not a motivator or leader as that goes!.....................But, you daid it best do not blame MB nor should any of you blamed KW! Line play is awful on both sides of the ball along with the game plan for most of our games!..............Mike Martz stand and be accounted for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. I never said Bulger was a "special" QB. I think he is a well above average QB, and every bit as good as (if not better than) recent Super Bowl QBs Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins.

2. I brought Warner up only because I knew someone else would if I didn't. I really don't care how Warner is playing, though I disagree with your prediction.

3. Blaming Bulger for the fumble in the end zone is convenient for a confirmed Bulger detractor, such as yourself, Yodude. But to ignore the failure to protect Bulger on that play (and the play before), is simply selective ignorance.

Bulger's not perfect. Far from it. But a QB with a 95.5 QB rating after two games falls pretty far down on the list of problems.

Yodude is offline Registered User

I never said Bulger was a "special" QB. I think he is a well above average QB, and every bit as good as (if not better than) recent Super Bowl QBs Jake Delhomme, Brad Johnson, Rich Gannon, Trent Dilfer and Kerry Collins.
    I agree 100 %. But as I pointed out all of those guys LOST the Superbowl except Johnson and Dilfer, and they had the stellar defenses I was referring to.

Blaming Bulger for the fumble in the end zone is convenient for a confirmed Bulger detractor, such as yourself, Yodude. But to ignore the failure to protect Bulger on that play (and the play before), is simply selective ignorance.
    Well that's the biggest crock of **** I've read in a while dude. That's no different than all the blame Warner got piled in his shoulders when the same issues existed with this team. You're as guilty of selective ignorance as anyone. On top of that, you're discription of me as a Bulger detractor is off base. Other than voice concerns over some of his shortcomings, I've never "bashed" Bulger. Most of my participation in the silly QB debates centered around support of Warner and maintaining that he didn't get a fair shot. I've said all along that Bulger is a talented young QB whom I've felt wasn't ready to start yet when he was handed the job. If you don't remember that, than there's some more "selective ignorance" for you.

I really don't care how Warner is playing,
    That's typical of some of you guys. Make a comment to stir the pot, than ignore the response that you generate by your comments and come back with a childish "I don't care" comment. I notice how you totally ignored my comments pointing out why your Bulger/Warner QB rating comparison was not valid.

Whatever...I've honestly had enough of this crap.

For the record, I didn't blame Bulger for today's loss...our defense sucks!

But if you don't even think that Bulger is PART of our problems, you're as blind as a bat!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

theodus69 is offline Registered User

bulger is part of the problem. Remember when the teams o-line sucked and it was all Warners fault? I do , so I can blame bulger . The deer in the headlights came into playa few times today!Pace and his(i'm gonna get out of training camp) is B.S. And this defense really stunk! At least the game plan did! Unless this defense can improve drastically, These boys ain't gonig anywhere with bulger at the HELM!!!!!!!!!! This game was what I thought ..A gimme!The mudhens ain't that good! Our O-LINE is just bad at this point! Set myself up for insults............Let me have them! I did watch the game(SOBER!) :tongue:
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Blame percentages might be easier to figure out.

Defense (Or lack of)-60%
    Faulk-15%
    Pace-10%
    rest of the O-line-5%
    Special teams-5%
    Martz-3%
    Bulger-2%

RealRam is offline Registered User

Agreed about Bulger!
    Ditto here (even from a non-Bulgerite, yours truly). Marc needed more/better support today from both offense AND defense.

We are a better team than what transpired in today's game. Still in the "gel" process -- but MUST get it done by next week! That means Marc Bulger and his fine receiver corps. That means the OL to step up responsibly, too.

AAAAARGGHH! :angryram:

Bulger's passer rating today: 102.2.

I'll take that "problem" any day.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Yes siree. Point well taken, Avenger.

On the other hand, our running game wasn't running.

Now what if there wasnt a holding penalty on the interception for a TD that was called back? What would his ratings of been then? And would you of said the same? (I'lltake that anytime)

Not to mention it but he almost or could have had 3 INT's today!

What if Mike Jones missed the tackle.

Answer: he didn't.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast