throwback week

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Arrow Don't count out the St. Louis Rams, new center Brown warns

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Don’t tell Rams center Jason Brown that just because the Rams have been mired at the bottom of the NFC West the past two years they can’t soar to the top this season. After all, Brown has seen it before.

He was with the Ravens in 2007, when they were 5-11 and finished last in the AFC North. Then last season, with a new coach (John Harbaugh) and a rookie quarterback (Joe Flacco), the Ravens went 11-5 and made the playoffs.

The Rams also have a new coach in Steve Spagnuolo, and Brown, an offseason pickup, senses a winning atmosphere building at Rams Park.

“In Baltimore you had some big-name guys, Ray Lewis, Bart Scott, Todd Heap, we had Jamaal Lewis there, ‘Prime Time’ Deion Sanders his last year in the league. And it’s very different” here, Brown said Thursday at minicamp. “I feel more of a sense of humility here. Don’t get me wrong, we have a team filled with talent, but we’re hungry. There’s a ton of humility and (we’re) definitely buying into the new coaching staff. And that’s where a lot of the enthusiasm has started with Coach ‘Spags’ coming in.

“When I had my free-agent visit here, I could just feel the enthusiasm. It starts with the head coach and then him bringing in a great group of assistant coaches. Then he brought in myself and some other guys in free agency and then the rest of the younger guys, a great rookie class and just building it with a foundation of work ethic, discipline and knowing that we’re going to come together and we’re going to achieve our accomplishments as a team.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Quinton Culberson took some reps at weakside LB. He’s been used mostly on the strongside during his two seasons with the Rams.

*Rookie CB Bradley Fletcher and safety Craig Dahl had interceptions in team drills.

*Spagnuolo again had referees on the field, looking for infractions.

*QB Kyle Boller’s right arm is a gun. Obviously he’s fully recovered from the shoulder surgery he had last September.

*Nate Jones took a few reps with the first unit in multi-WR sets.

*RB Steven Jackson reports that he’s “much stronger” after working with new strength coach Rock Gullickson.

*Under new defensive coordinator Ken Flajole, the CBs will “press” the WRs at the line of scrimmage more often. That, in turn, will benefit the safeties, Oshiomogho Atogwe pointed out. ““It takes a little bit of the speed out of it, allowing us to expand our vision and kind of feel things more than if the receivers are right up in your face,” he explained.

*Minicamp continues with two more practices Friday.

All for now . . .

Mooselini Guest

Re: Don't count out the St. Louis Rams, new center Brown warns

I can sense it just reading these articles. Last year's articles were bland, kinda boring at times. But these, you have new faces, new coaches, new scheme. Everything is different. Bulger and Brown have both said there is a new feeling in the locker room. That's what we need.

Good to see Fletcher getting an INT. He just might be our #2 CB.

Kyle Boller's arm is a gun. That is great to hear. I know he's not our franchise QB, or our QB of the future. But that right there is great to hear just in case Bulger goes down.

bigtiger737 Guest

I am really really excited about the new season. It will be interesting to see how we gel.. I don't know what to say about boller. all the guys in the locker room in blatimore loved him pre flacco. He was resigned a couple of times. and at a time he was considered a franchise QB but he got thrown under the bus like so many other high pick qb's. on a horrid offence. He has also probably taken alot more snaps then bulger with our center so I think he is in a perfect spot as our backup.. I'd rather see bulger get nuts this season though.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

every year every team in the NFL becomes a new team...im excited about our new team and whilst i can understand that its best for us fans to keep our expectations low...the players should enter the season and every game during it with the attitude that they can beat anyone and can go all the way.

im glad that seems to be the case with our players.

rammmmm Guest

I'm gittin PUMPED!

Keenum is offline Registered User

...we’re hungry.

That's one of the first steps if a team is going to have a shot at winning.
    I like his attitude!