RamWraith is offline Registered User

Don't expect 'country club' atmosphere at Rams training camp

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    07/26/2006

In the days, weeks, and perhaps years to come, many words will be used to describe Scott Linehan's training camps in St. Louis. Apparently, "country club" will not be part of the description.

On Tuesday, Linehan provided his most expansive outline yet of how he wants to run his first training camp as Rams head coach. From the sound of it, Rams players had better be ready for contact and plenty of full-pad practices.

"We're going to be in full pads the good majority of training camp," Linehan said. "The way I look at it, we can always pull back. But I think the one message that I'm sure the team will hear loud and clear is that we're going to be very physical in this camp.

"We're going to require a lot out of them as far as finding out how good a football team we are when it comes to tackling, being 'ball-secure,' being able to handle the adversity of the heat, and the soreness, and all that. I think that's a big part of what a training camp should be."

Which sounds like anything but a "country club," the sarcastic description given to Mike Martz's training camps several years ago. Actually, the relatively low amount of contact and occasional full-pad practices worked out well for Martz's Rams in 2000 and 2001, when the "country club" moniker originated. What was then the Greatest Show on Turf started 6-0 both seasons.

But perhaps Linehan and his staff saw a little too much game film from the 2005 Rams to use a similar approach. The Rams had trouble defending the run, missed a ton of tackles and weren't exactly ferocious when it came to run-blocking.

In recent years, most NFL coaches have shied away from contact and full pads in camp because of a fear of injuries - injuries that are harder to cover up in the age of the salary cap.

Linehan begs to differ.

"I think there's more risk of injury when you're not in pads," Linehan said. "Pads are put on for protection. ... As soon as you start taking pads off, everybody starts taking it down a notch. If you don't play or learn to practice at full speed all the time, especially when you are a young team, you just can't turn the switch on and off.

"I think when the switch is always on, it makes it easy when you come to game day to play at the level you are expected to play at. ... If you don't put the pads on, you can talk the game, but you really aren't practicing what you're preaching."

That sounds like the ultimate old-school approach. But Linehan is on the other end of the spectrum when it comes to the frequency of training camp practices. He's among a growing group of NFL coaches who believe the concept of two-a-days in camp is outmoded.

His basic practice schedule calls for two practices one day followed by just one the next. He isn't planning two full-pad practices in the same day. And practice times will be spaced out to give players maximum recovery time for aches and pains.

On days when the Rams practice twice, the workouts will begin at 9:20 in the morning and 7:25 at night. On days when the team practices just once, the workouts will begin at 2:55 p.m. All of the morning and afternoon practices are open to the public at Rams Park in Earth City; evening practices will be closed.

Linehan is modeling his approach after what coach Nick Saban did last season in Miami. (Linehan was Saban's offensive coordinator.)

"It gives coaches much more time (between practices) to be prepared," Linehan said. "It gives players much more time to recover. The players have plenty of time to get treatment. Plenty of time to eat, hydrate, go rest and get off their legs.

"I think it's really good for the players who have things they have to manage as far as a nagging (injury) problem. Or an old player who has a history of having a problem."

Linehan said the Dolphins had very few of the "soft tissue" injuries, such as pulled muscles and hamstring strains, that seem to crop up a week or so into camp.

"We were very, very healthy," Linehan said. "You know, maybe we were lucky. But I think it had a lot to do with how we trained, and our schedule had a lot to do with it."

As for Linehan's first Rams camp, it begins at 1 p.m. today, when players must report for a squad meeting. Players then will break off into position meetings later in the afternoon. Following a team dinner, the squad will have installation meetings in the evening to get ready for the first training camp practice Thursday morning.

"Basically, the time is here," Linehan said. "It's time to get to work."

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Re: Don't expect 'country club' atmosphere at Rams training camp

This is awsome! Finally a head coach who will come in and teach our defense how to tackle. We needed this. None of this two handed crap. Do it for real. After reading this I'm starting to have real confidence in our defense. We needed a hard nose coach and that's what we got.

tanus is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense
    This is awsome! Finally a head coach who will come in and teach our defense how to tackle. We needed this. None of this two handed crap. Do it for real. After reading this I'm starting to have real confidence in our defense. We needed a hard nose coach and that's what we got.
    woo hoo awesome. you dont learn how to tackle until you get to the nfl. i cant wait to watch college flag football this year.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

"We're going to be in full pads the good majority of training camp," Linehan said. "The way I look at it, we can always pull back. But I think the one message that I'm sure the team will hear loud and clear is that we're going to be very physical in this camp.
    Dont be too physical that Bulger gets injuried!

coy bacon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    By Jim Thomas

Which sounds like anything but a "country club," the sarcastic description given to Mike Martz's training camps several years ago. Actually, the relatively low amount of contact and occasional full-pad practices worked out well for Martz's Rams in 2000 and 2001, when the "country club" moniker originated. What was then the Greatest Show on Turf started 6-0 both seasons.

But perhaps Linehan and his staff saw a little too much game film from the 2005 Rams to use a similar approach. The Rams had trouble defending the run, missed a ton of tackles and weren't exactly ferocious when it came to run-blocking.

Linehan is modeling his approach after what coach Nick Saban did last season in Miami. (Linehan was Saban's offensive coordinator.)

The "country club" produces 2x 6-0 starts but that approach is dissed? Did Linehan ask himself what the big difference was betw. 99-00 and the poor D efforts of 04, 05? It should be obvious to you. I don't like his approach. Granted, I am giving the journalist the benefit of the doubt in telling the story truthfully, and accurately. That could be a significant mistake.

Linehan is following in the footsteps of Saban, which I would expect to one degree. But, can someone tell me, how successful has Saban been in Miami?

And finally, the orator says it is time to get to work. Well duh. Ya think?

I am, underwhelmed.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Man im glad it's here a new era
    :ramlogo:

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever
    Dont be too physical that Bulger gets injuried!
    Yeah, idk if they'll be too rough on him or not. Hopefully they don't even tackle him, usually in practice they don't tackle the QB anyways.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams