txramsfan is offline Registered User

Don't fret my fellow Rams fans

This season is to be expected every so often in the trials and tribulations of an NFL team. Every team experiences it, even the Patriots will eventually. Teams that find success in bunches like the Rams have had in recent years are bound to have pitfalls for a couple of years. It's the NFL's nature. Teams with success get buzzard picked of their players; they draft deep into the first few rounds and don't get the talent that maybe they desperately need.

Now, the last two years the Rams have had the luxury of infusing youth at key positions. Tye Hill (jury is still out but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt) and Adam Carriker were two first round picks who look to stick, which is a welcome sight compared to the DLew and Jimmy Kennedy debacles. Even Alex Barron has turned out to be pretty good at his position along with Stephen Jackson. Now, we are just a few pieces away from turning this thing around and by selecting at the top of rounds 1 and 2 and possibly 3 could really get this thing moving. Steve Young made a smart comment last night about Joey Porter and the Steelers. It's the teams that KNOW that an infusion of youth is needed and that let go of aging veterans that stay on top of the league. Lawyer Milloy at New England is another example. The Rams are in desperate need of two things: an outside pass rusher and speed at WR. Those two needs can be had in rounds 1 and 2, especially where the Rams will probably end up sitting.

So, don't be sad my fellow fans. It's the nature of the salary cap and success as to why the Rams are in this state of flux this year. That's why year 3 with Linehan was both inevitable and also dangerous. Inevitable because it's hard to judge on just two years, dangerous because if he doesn't draft right he could set this team back another two years. It's up to him and the front office to see that the Rams get the needed help that will be available. Let's just see if they have the where with all to make the right choices at the front of the buffet line.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Don't fret my fellow Rams fans

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    So, don't be sad my fellow fans. It's the nature of the salary cap and success as to why the Rams are in this state of flux this year. That's why year 3 with Linehan was both inevitable and also dangerous. Inevitable because it's hard to judge on just two years, dangerous because if he doesn't draft right he could set this team back another two years. It's up to him and the front office to see that the Rams get the needed help that will be available. Let's just see if they have the where with all to make the right choices at the front of the buffet line.
    Tx are you saying from your perspective that Linehan's return for another year is inevitable?

itsguud is offline Registered User

Really? You think all we need is a pass-rusher and speed WR? How about, a bigger LB(s). Better SS, less injury prone and better OLmen, FB... and for the biggest necessity, a coach who can adapt?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by itsguud View Post
    a coach who can adapt?
    That's not his fault- that's the offensive line's fault. They're also to blame for the defensive collapse in the second half of games this year too.

itsguud is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    That's not his fault- that's the offensive line's fault. They're also to blame for the defensive collapse in the second half of games this year too.
    ROFL, I've seen that too! ROFL

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Really? You think all we need is a pass-rusher and speed WR? How about, a bigger LB(s). Better SS, less injury prone and better OLmen, FB... and for the biggest necessity, a coach who can adapt?
    I suppose every position could be upgraded, but I gotta agree with tx. More than any other positions, a true pass rusher and a vertical receiver would do the most to patch up some holes. But bigger LBs (how 'bout Claiborne.....he's huge), upgrade over Chavous & Owens & every spot on the O-line would probably be prioritized behind DE and WR, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Well, you can't upgrade everything. I was just looking at positions that were in dire need.

Wow, aren't we a cynical bunch....lol

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Tx are you saying from your perspective that Linehan's return for another year is inevitable?

Yea Maui, it's really never been in doubt. Two reasons: A) even though coach's salaries don't count against the salary cap, it would be way too expensive to buy him out AND sign a top notch coach this year....and B) the injuries gave him a free pass as he is well liked by the front office.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Bigger LB's? Depends on the scheme, Indy doesn't use that big of linebackers and they do ok. Admittedly, they have better safeties as well.

Better SS? Very much yes. I agree.

Injuries happen, and it sucks. No one is injury proof.

Teams are going with many more singleback sets now and are doing just fine with them. We don't need a FB, we just either need one(Oh look, Brian Leonard) or to start using more two TE and three-WR sets. Maybe we could put BL in as a 2nd TE.

Better coach, yeah, you got that one too. I feel like he may be another Norv Turner or Mike Martz. Good as a coordinator, but a bad HC. Which is strange because I trust his drafting(unlike Martz) but not his in game ability(unlike Martz).

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I feel like this team is in a transition period. Many of the Rams core players are getting old (why do I feel like John Madden?), but this new crop of youngsters have promise. I think this team is a OL FA, a draft pick or two, an offensive coordinator and a easy schedule away from being contenders next year. Hmmm, who does that remind you guys of?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.