Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Don't give up on Brian Quick yet.

RuffRams is offline Registered User

Don't give up on Brian Quick yet.

I know we kept saying give him a few years since he is from FBS, but some of you guys seem to be ready to give up on him. Les Snead brought up a great point in an interview by comparing him to Shannon Sharpe from Fort Wayne State.

Shannon Sharpe first 3 years:
    7 REC 99 YARDS 1 TD
    22 REC 322 YARDS 1 TD
    53 REC 640 YARDS 2 TDS

Brian Quick first 2 years:
    11 REC 158 YARDS 2 TDS
    18 302 YARDS 2 TDS
    Year 3: ??

I know I'm comparing a TE to WR. However, they both came from a small college and took time to adjust in the NFL. Another reason I brought this up is, don't give up on Quick even if he doesn't have a break out year next year. As long as he improves, I think he will be set to go for Year 4. When I saw him get the ball this year, he was ready to make plays. Which is a great sign. I think he still has a chance to improve and easily become our #1 WR, if not next year, in 2 years! (#1 WR in the sense: our go to big physical receiver that we are looking for)

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Don't give up on Brian Quick yet.

Here's how I look at it...

If I bought some stock, hoping it would increase in value over a period of 3 or more years, I would not dump it after 2 years merely because it "underperformed."

However, I would probably diversify and invest funds in another stock to ensure my future.
    Varg6 and ManofGod like this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I agree, although, it'll be interesting to see if we draft another WR, especially if it's in the first round. It's hard to say even what side of the ball we'll be drafting for, but I'd like to think our core nucleus of receivers are pretty decent. Pettis is a reliable target, especially on third down. I think if we see Quick and/or Bailey step up we're going to see this entire offense really explode. Who will be able to cover Tavon in the slot, Cook, and Givens? AND have to account for Stacy. I like our chances, we just need to mold an identity and that starts with ALL of these guys playing together.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quick looked to be having a breakout game against Carolina when Bradford went down. He did drop a perfectly thrown TD pass, but he still finished the game with 97 receiving yards. Then his production halted when Bradford went down.

As a raw receiving prospect, the first two years aren't usually too productive.

However, with Bradford back next season, and two years of NFL experience under his belt, I'm expecting some solid production out of Quick next year.
    laram0 and THOLTFAN81 like this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Woops, just posted this on the FA side:

Quick isn't done. Snead on the radio made an excellent point about Quick, compare him to Vincent Jackson.

VJ after 2 years had 30 catches and 512 yards and 6 TDs.
    Quick after 2 years has 29 catches for 458 yards and 4 TDs.

I'd say the Rams "diversified" by drafting Austin and Bailey.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -01-13-2014 at 06:22 PM.
    RuffRams likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

As long as he's improving, I'm fine with keeping him. Some fans are just rabidly impatient and expect every player drafted to make an immediate impact. It's understandable after years of piss poor FO decisions prior to the Kroenke era, fans are uneasy. I just hope Bradford will stay healthy as his play will be key to Quick's progress.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world

macrammer is offline Registered User

Really does not matter if "we" fans give up on him. Seems the team is behind him.
    RealRam and LA Rammer like this.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

I'm not ready to give up on him but next year is going to be huge for him. I still want us to go after an Evans, Watkins, Lee or Robinson in the draft though.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Very close to giving up. I think he was behind the eightball right off the bat. Drafted too early and I remember comparisons to T.O... Very unfair... Then to make matters worse Alshon Jeffery and Rueben Randle go after him... Gotta give the kid one more year...

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

I know we kept saying give him a few years since he is from FBS...
    I believe you mean F C S. This is where they have a REAL (24 team) college football playoff system. Fargo happens to be the home to the current BACK to BACK to BACK National Champions. The REAL Bison! 15-0 this year, 43-2 in the three year run! Even hosted ESPN College Game Day this year.

Don't give up on Brian Quick yet.-bison-title.jpg
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I haven't given up on Quick, but the fact remains we need more production from a guy who was a 2nd round pick. Yes, he was a bit better in his 2nd year, but 302 yards receiving isn't exactly mind-blowing. I can't stress it enough: We need a stud at the position. We can't keep picking these guys- Quick, Pettis, Salas, etc. who turn out to be marginal or average talents who take years to develop. You look at this receiving corps and nobody "wows" you. We need offensive productivity NOW.

As with a number of other Rams- specifically on the offensive side of the football- 2014 will be a telling year as to whether Quick is a part of the long-term solution or dead weight which needs to be cast aside.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quick has the 2 years left on his rookie contract. I think we'll continue to see increased production from him. The coaches love him because he is a phenomonal blocker in the run game, and while his production went down when Bradford was injured, his value to the team actually increased.

Personally I'm fine with our receiving core - OLine and secondary are far more problematic areas unless Finnegan can return to form. I'd be happy to take a lower round guy, but I think we can be very successful with the guys we have in the passing game if they are given a chance to jell.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

To me the critical stat is the ratio of targets to drops. If he has a low one then we need to target him more, but that will require more time (as he's not a speed guy) for Sam which translates to better pass protection. Funny how these issues seem to interconnect. Definitely give him more of a chance to develop.

Go Rams!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Too much upside to give up on, but IMO he needs to amp up the intensity level.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    Too much upside to give up on, but IMO he needs to amp up the intensity level.
    Correct on both observations Mike! 2014 will have to be a Quick improvement, pun intended.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast