Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Don't re-sign Brandon Lloyd!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Don't re-sign Brandon Lloyd!

That's right... I mean it.

Yes, he is the best WR on the Rams right now. But that's not saying much. The rest of the Rams' WR corps would be mediocre for an expansion team.

What I see from Lloyd is a guy on the downside of a career. He will be 31 when the 2012 season starts. For WRs (particularly those under 200 lbs) that's on the old side of prime.

You can see it already. He's not getting separation on a consistent basis. He does not fight for the ball. He's producing because he's getting targeted on 80% of the passing plays, but his target/catch ratio is poor.

I'm not saying the Rams couldn't use him next year, but that's where economics come into the picture. He's not coming cheap. This is his last chance for FA $, and he's going to get paid.

The Rams should spend that money elsewhere. Maybe on a younger WR. Heck, I'd rather have the diva DJax. I'd rather have VJax. I'd definitely rather have Dwayne Bowe. And, once they get a FA, they should still take Justin Blackmon if they have the chance.

Lloyd is not the answer.

Not at the expected high price tag, anyway.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Don't re-sign Brandon Lloyd!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Yes, he is the best WR on the Rams right now. But that's not saying much. The rest of the Rams' WR corps would be mediocre for an expansion team.

What I see from Lloyd is a guy on the downside of a career. He will be 31 when the 2012 season starts. For WRs (particularly those under 200 lbs) that's on the old side of prime.

You can see it already. He's not getting separation on a consistent basis. He does not fight for the ball. He's producing because he's getting targeted on 80% of the passing plays, but his target/catch ratio is poor.

I'm not saying the Rams couldn't use him next year, but that's where economics come into the picture. He's not coming cheap. This is his last chance for FA $, and he's going to get paid.

The Rams should spend that money elsewhere. Maybe on a younger WR. Heck, I'd rather have the diva DJax. I'd rather have VJax. I'd definitely rather have Dwayne Bowe. And, once they get a FA, they should still take Justin Blackmon if they have the chance.

Lloyd is not the answer.

1. Seahawks' defenders have about a consistent almost half a foot height advantage over him. And they are good.

2. Sammy Boy consistently underthrows or mist-throws deep balls, causing him either to slow down or adjust.

3. Not his fault Bradford has the worst fade throw in the NFL.

4. Not his fault the other receivers cannot take advantage of his double teams.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Were going go have a harder to signing any other FA with how pathetic we look. If we dont sign him and draft Blackmon our wr core is still mediocre.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Really? After the way Sam Bradford played tonight you're going to blame Brandon Lloyd? He was open for 2 deep balls, one that Sam completely wiffed and another which forced him to stop and catch it rather than run for the extra 20 yards of space he had.

Every catch Lloyd makes hes on his knees. Bradford needs to learn where to throw the football, its just getting ridicolous now.
    supachump and Systemlangstaff like this.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Lloyd is not the answer.

Forget about what happened in the booth, Mrs. Lincoln - I was asking you what you thought of the leading lady.

(Wierdest post I've ever read).

Guys - this is the worst football team OF ALL TIME!

Name one that was worse. Seriously.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Keenum is offline Registered User

After seeing him play compared to the rest of these WRs, I don't care if he's 50, I want him back on this team.

He's still got a few good years left in him... plus with our recent free agency history do you really think they would sign anybody better than him anyway?

Rambos is offline Registered User

I want to resign Lloyd but as I mentioned in another thread at what price? If we get Blackmon, Lloyd to me needs to come fairly cheap and I don't think he will. I don't the the Rams will signing him, with all the changes coming. If we are going to spend a ton on a WR I would rather spend the bank on DJax.

The one ball Bradford under-threw there was a safety over the top. I find it sad when Bradford's playing hurt completes pass and guys still bi** about it.

The ball down the sideline is the one where Lloyd did not fight for the ball, he should have caught that ball.

No big it's a tough year changes are coming soon.... McD will mostly be a HC of the Chiefs next year and Spages will be DC of the Eagles... Billy GM of the Chargers. And the Rams will be turning the roster over again....

Fastcat is offline Registered User

There will be no need to resign him if we dont try to get a #1 in the draft or fa (and im not sold on djax as a #1). But if we do it would solve our wr woes. Lloyd is a very good #1 tho... A very very good #2

As far as Bradford, he cant hit deep routes consistantly. It showed last year and tthis year. The injury isnt an excuse
    Last edited by Fastcat; -12-13-2011 at 01:07 AM.

Don't give me comments about Bradford. With his ankle, he shouldn't have even been on the field tonight.

Ask yourself these questions about Lloyd:

How many winning teams has he been on?
    How many teams have given up on him?
    Why would Denver trade him for a 5th round pick?

You want to pay this guy top dollar... be my guest. I'll pass.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Don't give me comments about Bradford. With his ankle, he shouldn't have even been on the field tonight.
    It's a fact he is hurt and he does not make the call if he plays... I think they should have sat him after the second series he looked bad.

How many winning teams has he been on? Don't know... more then SJax...my point is one guy does not make a team.
    How many teams have given up on him? Don't know
    Why would Denver trade him for a 5th round pick? The knew he was going to cost too much.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Lloyd was an immature brat early in his career, explains the moving around.

Denver traded him because they were going in Tebow's direction, and there was no sense in keeping a guy like Lloyd around. That offense can succeed with very mediocre WR's if it pans out.

Lloyd hasn't lost a step. He's a late bloomer, and never had much speed, he's a long strider. He is a technique receiver, and absolutely abused the Seahawk DB's tonight.

Your O.P. is a tad nutty IMO. Lloyd is frequently in position to catch the ball, but the QB cannot hit the broad side of a barn. I have only seen a handful of passes from Bradford to Lloyd all season that Lloyd could catch with ease.
    RAMarkable likes this.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

Yeah I don't think Lloyd should be our #1 WR, but I still think we should resign him unless he sticks to wanting be paid like a #1. He hasn't been a consistent WR his whole career so I don't know if someone will pay him top dollar.

Hopefully we sign or draft a top WR, and Lloyd becomes our #2. Add Amendola and we could have a decent WR corp for once.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I think heís wants out anyway. I read a post where he stated he wanted to play for a winner at this stage in his career. Thatís not the rams right now, but I would love to have him back we need players and he is one of the few the rams has.
    :ramlogo:

Keenum is offline Registered User

The key here is top dollar. If we have to give him money similar to top WRs in the NFL, than no, we need to look elsewhere. I'm expecting that we can get him for a pretty decent price... in which case I think we have to take him. Not only does he know the system probably better than anyone on the team, but he has played well in it.

I'm sure the Rams will be looking for young talent in the draft (and hopefully during F.A... they had better be!!!), but I want at least one experienced veteran on this squad, and Lloyd fits that perfectly since he already knows the system and can still play well.
    ManofGod likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    The key here is top dollar. If we have to give him money similar to top WRs in the NFL, than no, we need to look elsewhere. I'm expecting that we can get him for a pretty decent price... in which case I think we have to take him.
    Exactly. If he would sign for 3-4 years at a reasonable (#2 WR) price then, by all means, bring him back. My suspicion, though, is that he'll hold out for #1 WR money. If he does, I say let him go.
    ManofGod likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast