Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dont Read This

RamTime Guest

Dont Read This

This is bound to rub some people the wrong way however that is not my intention. This is what is in my head regarding the rams and I cannot shake it so I decided to share it.

I realize that many of you still hold the illusion that Mike Martz is going to take us to the promise land. That is a good thing because we need believers. I think I understand and appreciate why you refuse to shed the blinders.

Of course you will never openly admit it but I bet any of your solo pillow talk reeks of reality. What is not gone or what has not been squandered from the early part of this decade is now either screwed up or obsolete.

Regardless of how you want to spin the issue, the fact is we have been living on borrowed time and while the components were more then ample to succeed in winning at least one more world championship it didnít get done. The Rams found every way to shoot themselves in the foot and even invented new ways to be sure it wouldnít happen. Yes I know you have heard this before.

No one is in charge of that football team. When the wife of a player can cause distraction such as Brenda Warner did then something is wrong with the leadership of that team. When a leader of a team allows a two time MVP to become a whipping boy in the locker room then something is wrong with the leadership of that team. When a single player is allowed to infect an entire squad such as Kevin Carter did in 2000 then something is wrong with the leadership of that team.

Mike Martz is a key component of that team but it ends there. At best he is wishy washy as a leader. At worst he is completely incompetent as a leader. Nothing that lies between wishy washy and incompetent is acceptable in the NFL or any other place where a leader is needed.

The truth hiding cream puff schedule the Rams faced last year was their last opportunity with what was left of the core of players from the early part of this decade but once again the wrong players were playing while the wrong plays were called and the wrong strategy surfaced during the two most critical minutes of the season.

It would take all of the gifts, all of the luck and all of the bounces going the Rams way to enter the playoffs this season. Once in the playoffs only a similar concentration of good fortune would propel this team into the Superbowl. Or would it? One may be compelled to say that the Rams would also have to play mistake free football such as the Patriots did in Superbowl XXXVI and that isnít going to happen with this leadership.

I pray that there is something I am missing and that I am just a stupid arm chair quarterback that doesnít know his grass from a hole in the turf but I have been a Rams fan for a long time and if things go as common sense suggests it will, the next time the Rams see the post season will be under new leadership.

In the 1990ís I was able to believe year after year that things were going to be different and not as common sense suggested. I mean unless the Rams were matmatically eliminated I continued to hope and believe. So I will go and dig those old blinders out again and happily join you all.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Dont Read This

You're bringing me down, man... you're bringing me down.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

You have been gloom and doom for the last 3 years RamTime. Not sure why, but I guess you will never be happy until Martz is gone and we are in a new direction with this team.

We all hold reservations about each Ram team every year. Making it to the Super Bowl has to be the ultimate goal, but reality is, only 2 teams make it every year and a season is all for not for the rest. If you base your opinion strictly on a trophy then you are going to give yourself an anuirsm. Lets maybe reserve a little judgment until at least the season starts and then maybe we could take it game by game.

tanus is offline Registered User

i really should have listened to the title of the thread.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Very interesting post Ramtime. This must keep you awake at night. My theory is that all Ram fans have to have faith that the team will win it every year. Why else would we be here? The truth is that the RAMS do have a very realistic shot at winning it all, as well as a few other teams. This team is loaded with good players. You can't put all the blame on one coach. Fact is MM is one of the best head coaches this organization has had in a long time. Things seem dismal now, but I predict vast improvement tomorrow night. :upset:

KEEP THE FAITH FELLOW RAM CLANERS :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

That is what they said in '99 too ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    The truth is that the RAMS do have a very realistic shot at winning it all, as well as a few other teams.

KEEP THE FAITH FELLOW RAM CLANERS :ramlogo:

RamTime Guest

Avenger I am disapointed in you. I was sure you were goingto say "Your just a stupid arm chair Quarterback" Are you feeling ok?

That is what they said in '99 too
    They may have said that however I was nearly laughed off the air and out of the studio at KFNS when I said the Rams would go 12-4 or 13-3.

The reason I seemed gloom and doom the last 3 years is because I was terrified that this day would come and the dynasty that should have been may not happen. Doesn't it bother you guys to have the best team in the league for the better part of 4 years and get skunked? The Rams have had some good teams but not like these last 4 years.

BTW i know it looks like a shot at Martz but believe me I know he did what he thought was right. What he thought gave the Rams the best chance to win. He has to be the most frustrated out of all of us and I feel for him. It would be only proper that he won a superbowl after all of this and i hope he does. If not here then someplace else

Who says we have the best team in the league the last 4 years?? What are you basing that one, a Rams fan opinion. I bet there are lot of Philly, Buc, Pat, Titians, Colts, Packer etc... that would love to debate that issue with you.

I believe we have has a very competitive team and shown that we are force year in and year out. The stars can't align every year in this day and age. As far a dynasty goes, maybe back in the 80's this team would have been a dynasty, but with parity that is an all most impossible task.

I am happy that we have a team we can be proud of again. I am happy we have a team I will always remember and will always compare all other Rams team to.

Quote Originally Posted by RamTime
    The reason I seemed gloom and doom the last 3 years is because I was terrified that this day would come and the dynasty that should have been may not happen. Doesn't it bother you guys to have the best team in the league for the better part of 4 years and get skunked? The Rams have had some good teams but not like these last 4 years.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I swear all this end of the world talk is about to drive me through a wall. Look at this team compared to last year's 12-4 effort:

QB - still Bulger, just w/o the controversy hanging over him
    RB - a healthier Faulk + Jackson
    WR - Holt & Bruce + a stronger 3-6 with KC & SM
    TE - Manu only having one position to learn
    FB - Goodspeed with a full off-season to learn
    OL - Surprise, folks but comparable to last year (details to follow)
    DL - Young & Wistrom weren't hero, just workhorses. They've been replaced
    LB - Same as last year, but more experienced. If Polley blows, put in Chillar
    CB - We are about to find out that Garrett, Groce, Fisher & Butler are interchangeable
    S - still Aeneas & Arch
    ST - still Wilkins, Landetta, Massey & Looker.

Now about this O-line:
    3 returners - Pace, Timmerman & McCollum (who is a better C than G anyway)
    2 vacancies - Turley is a good T, but just like Wistrom he is not irreplaceable. We have several solid lineman, and I would bet the farm that one of them will step into RT and do as close to as good a job as needed. As for Wohlabaugh, we got killed up the middle last year, McCollum is better and one of guys waiting in the wings will step up.

The "expert analysts" are sparking a lot of this nonsense because we lost two starters to season-ending injuries, but they have grossly underestimated the strength of our reserves. They have to pull it together fast, but it can be done.

Now for the strength of schedule:
    Our average opponent last year finished the season 7-9.
    Our average opponent this year finished the season 8-8.
    That's one game difference. Not to mention 3 of our 4 losses last year came against teams under .500. And last year we were 3-1 against teams who finished with double digit victories.

Hearing the analysts predict us at 7-9 makes me sick, and I will admit that talent wise this team should be 9-7, but last year's team should have been 8-8 and turned out 12-4. This is not a team that can be discounted in August.
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-26-2004 at 04:44 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Doesn't it bother you guys to have the best team in the league for the better part of 4 years and get skunked? The Rams have had some good teams but not like these last 4 years.
    I must admit it, it does bother me that we have only one won championship with this team. I really felt that we could be a dynasty. Instead it seems like we have fallen on our face at times while New England is working on becoming that dynasty. Now I know that we still have a chance and I do hope we do it.
    Sprtsmac :football:

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It definitely bothers me that we didn't win at least two championships with the talent we had during the Warner era. To win two would have given us a much better place in history and set us apart. I'll take one over none though, that's for sure.

As much as I rag on Martz, I must admit that without the genious side leading us to the playoffs most years (as well as being a big part in winning SB 34), the loopy, goofy side wouldn't even be an issue. I really hope he can put it all together because the team is at a critical crossroad this year IMO.

RamTime Guest

QB - still Bulger, just w/o the controversy hanging over him
    RB - a healthier Faulk + Jackson
    WR - Holt & Bruce + a stronger 3-6 with KC & SM
    TE - Manu only having one position to learn
    FB - Goodspeed with a full off-season to learn
    OL - Surprise, folks but comparable to last year (details to follow)
    DL - Young & Wistrom weren't hero, just workhorses. They've been replaced
    LB - Same as last year, but more experienced. If Polley blows, put in Chillar
    CB - We are about to find out that Garrett, Groce, Fisher & Butler are interchangeable
    S - still Aeneas & Arch
    ST - still Wilkins, Landetta, Massey & Looker.

QB Bulger has steadily regressed
    RB Faulk +Jackson (Iíll give you that one definately give you that one)
    WR Holt &Bruce yes but Bulger has to do better spreading it around. the others have proven nothing but there is no reason to doubt them.
    TE Ė Manu (Never have been sold on him.)
    FB Goodspeed (OK but Hodgins he ainít)
    OL (I think you reaching here but I hope your right. This is my main concern unit wise)
    DL as bad as the dline was last year anything will be an upgrade (Run D)
    LB unproven and if the Rams are true to form then the replacement of Polly is another wrong move.
    CB Translated, This could be serious trouble especially if we cannot get pressure up front.
    S Were good there
    ST Always a crap shoot.

Some of what you posted did actually raise my hopes thanks.
    GOT MORE?

Why should anyone have to convince you that the Rams are number one?? I don't care who we field each year I am excited about the coming season. Hell; I was optimistic when Banks, Phillips, Bruce and Kennison took the field. It doesn't matter it's all good.

Lets line them up and play it out. I am ready for some football!!

Some of what you posted did actually raise my hopes thanks.
    GOT MORE?

RamTime Guest

As much as I rag on Martz, I must admit that without the genious side leading us to the playoffs most years (as well as being a big part in winning SB 34), the loopy, goofy side wouldn't even be an issue. I really hope he can put it all together because the team is at a critical crossroad this year IMO.
    The main problem I have with Martz is 2000. Yes he has made other errors but his losing control of that team puts his leadership skills into question. I was sure the Rams were going to repeat. I was just sure of it.

RamTime Guest

Who says we have the best team in the league the last 4 years?? What are you basing that one, a Rams fan opinion. I bet there are lot of Philly, Buc, Pat, Titians, Colts, Packer etc... that would love to debate that issue with you.
    Las Vegas. nuff said.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast