throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The door is open--Jones signs

With Walter Jones signing a 7 year deal does this means Pace should be around the corner?? IT BETTER BE!!

PS-Jones deal averages about 7 million a year

general counsel Guest

Re: The door is open--Jones signs

Bottom line, that defines the market value once and for all. Jones vs. Pace is purely personal preference. If Pace wants more than Jones got he is being unreasonable. If the rams arent willing to pay pace what jones got than they arent going to get him and i wouldnt blame pace one bit for not signing.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

general counsel Guest

According to espn, looks like a bit over 16 mill signing bonus and roughly 27 mill guaranteed over the first three years. If we are not willing to pay those kind of numbers for pace i would be stunned.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sbramfan Guest

Problem is, that sounds about like the franchise tag price. (average of top 5 or whatever?)

Isn't it like 8 million to franchise him? If it is, what good does a long term deal do if you're paying 7 or 8 mil per?

The only reason to sign him to a long term deal is to get his number for the next few years to be more like 5 or 6 against the cap, vs. 8 or 9.

I say slap the franchise tag on him one more year and then ship him off next year after we've got the best years out of him.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    If Pace wants more than Jones got he is being unreasonable.
    Well, I'm not going to think much if Pace or his agent start their negotiating at more than what Jones got, but if he refuses to sign for a similar number, then I'd say it's unreasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Problem is, that sounds about like the franchise tag price. (average of top 5 or whatever?)

Isn't it like 8 million to franchise him? If it is, what good does a long term deal do if you're paying 7 or 8 mil per?
    The contract averages to about $7 million per year, but that's not what he's making per year. The contract is backloaded, but the average salary per year is $7 million. That means it's lower in the front of the contract and higher in the final years. So signing long-term would create immediate cap space because the first year of that contract is going to be much lower than the franchise tender amount.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel Guest

Also, keep in mind that presumably the cap will go up over time as revenues increase.

general counsel