general counsel is offline Registered User

The doughnut brothers...the death watch is on...

The tenure of the doughnut brothers is obviously drawing to a close. I really want a baseball signed by all three of them with the inscription "the doughnut brothers" I bet i get it someday.

They have been great rams, individually and as a group. Nutten is one of my all time favorite rams. The guts he showed last year was jack youngblood like. Timmerman is a guy i love. McCollom has grown on me over the years.

Notwithstanding the forgoing, as Big Bison says, these guys arent getting it done run blocking anymore and if you note since baby alyx was inserted into the lineup, the pressure is up the middle on our tackling qb, not coming from the outside as in days gone by. I think that they are still pretty good pass blocking, but its clear that they cant physically dominate in the running game at this point.

With the enormous Mr. Terrell, he of the 643 pound bench press (i believe that the clan bench record is 510 held by shades of grey), the energetic and veratile mr. sapiaia and the One Who is Incognito waiting in the wings, the changing of the guard is literally imminent.

I like what the future looks like, but i also will miss these great warriors who have bled and fought for the honor of the horns. I wonder if any of the three will be back next year at reduced money.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ps Has anyone ever seen a larger guard than claude terrell? Seeing him stand next to The Big Man is the football equivalent of a solar eclipse.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Re: The doughnut brothers...the death watch is on...

Those guys played admirably in their day.

We need a changing of the guard in that interior line.

I look for the Rams to draft a Center in the upcoming draft.
    Personally, I think they let the interior go unaddressed too long.

We have the beginnings of a Great O-line though - that's for sure.

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    I look for the Rams to draft a Center in the upcoming draft.
    Personally, I think they let the interior go unaddressed too long.
    Umm... Isn't Incognito a center?
    This space for rent...

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Incognito will play either center or guard. He can even play tackle if it's ever needed. Hell, he'd probably offer to return punts. The Rams could go for either [C/G] position in the draft.

Adam Timmerman is one pre-'99 season addition that never gets talked about. He was a Pro Bowler for a couple years and was always dependable. Another piece to the puzzle that made the GSOT click.

Even if the Rams don't draft anybody, the lineup of Pace-Terrell-Incognito-Saipaia-Barron doesn't look too bad.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

The Rams had mentioned using him at Guard.

If they do play him at Center, then we'll need a guard.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    Incognito will play either center or guard. He can even play tackle if it's ever needed. Hell, he'd probably offer to return punts. The Rams could go for either [C/G] position in the draft.

Adam Timmerman is one pre-'99 season addition that never gets talked about. He was a Pro Bowler for a couple years and was always dependable. Another piece to the puzzle that made the GSOT click.

Even if the Rams don't draft anybody, the lineup of Pace-Terrell-Incognito-Saipaia-Barron doesn't look too bad.
    EDM, this was a target-rich environment for good points...I applaud you.

Going into the draft, there were two guys that I knew would be on the Rams roster........Ryan Fitzpatrick and Richie Incognito. Martz may be crazy by some definitions, but two things you can always count on....

1) Martz will never pass on a QB with a genius level IQ
    2) Martz will quickly snatch up a lineman that can play all 5 spots.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    The Rams had mentioned using him at Guard.

If they do play him at Center, then we'll need a guard.

I think moving Saipaia back to his original position finishes off our line. From what we've seen so far, Saipaia the guard is a lot better than Saipaia the tackle. The 2006 line of Pace-Terrell-Incognito-Saipaia-Barron suits me just fine. The best part being our interior lineman drop more than 12 years in age per man.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

In addition to dropping age, we are also dropping a LOT of cap dollars making that kind of switch, although we will have some dead money on timmerman if we cut him rather than get him to take less to stay for depth.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The question is, will Saipaia show up as a good interior lineman? You've got guys like Max Jean-Gilles, Davin Joseph, Charles Spencer, and Matt Lentz who all look like quality guards, but not guys who are going to be taken all that high in my opinion. If we could grab one of these guys later in Day One or early on Day Two, depending on how it pans out, it'd be a great security measure in case Saipaia doesn't come along.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

maineram is offline Registered User

I would be hesitant to let McCollum go with no experience at center. Timmerman & Nutten, sure. McCollum could move to gard as depth if Incognito did come along nicely as our center.

Just a thought.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !