RamWraith is offline Registered User

Downpour fine with Linehan

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/14/2008

MEQUON, Wis. It rained on the Rams' going-away parade Wednesday afternoon.

Actually, the team doesn't leave for St. Louis until this morning. But the final practice of training camp began under cloudy skies and ended in a downpour. Still, coach Scott Linehan, who likes to practice in all weather conditions, kept his troops on the field until all drills were completed.

"This is great," he said. "You've got to stick it out. There's no guarantees how it's going to go. It might be stormy sometimes, and you just have to keep playing."

The 90-minute workout wrapped up about 5 p.m. On the agenda later in the evening was a pig and chicken roast thrown by Concordia University officials, followed by the annual Rookie Show.

The team reconvenes Friday at Rams Park for meetings and a walk-through in preparation for Saturday night's exhibition home opener, against San Diego.

PLENTY OF WORK

Third-year tight end Joe Klopfenstein, slowed early by a lower-back problem, rallied over the final couple of weeks and wound up having perhaps his best camp with the Rams. He said new offensive coordinator Al Saunders' aggressive approach suits him well.

"With this new offense, when I first learned about it, it was an exciting thing," Klopfenstein said. "I love the playbook."

Saunders plans to use his tight ends extensively.

"So there's plenty of room for Randy (McMichael) and me and Anthony (Becht) and whoever else," Klopfenstein said. "There's a lot of things that need to be done at the tight end position, and there's going to be more than one person doing them."

RISING STOCK

Another veteran who came on strong after a so-so start was wide receiver Reche Caldwell. The competition at wideout is stiff, but Caldwell, who had three receptions for 30 yards Saturday night in the 34-13 loss at Tennessee, forced himself into the picture.

"He's playing through some aches and pains, just like everybody, but he made a couple of nice plays in the game," Linehan said. "It's not surprising. I think Reche's a really good receiver."

Caldwell, 29, was signed as a free agent in the offseason.

STEVEN JACKSON WATCH

Days out: 20.

Practices missed: 23.

Games missed: 1 (exhibition).

Fine total: $302,320 ($15,116 per day).

DELAY OF GAME

Because Saturday's exhibition game did not sell out 72 hours in advance (by 7:05 p.m. Wednesday), it will not be televised live in St. Louis. However, KTVI (Channel 2) plans to show a tape-delayed telecast of the contest, at 10:30 that night.

RAM-BLINGS

Cornerback Tanard Davis, a free agent who was on Philadelphia's practice squad last year, practiced for the first time Wednesday. ... Defensive tackle Vernon Bryant, an undrafted rookie from Hampton, was released to create a roster spot for Davis. ... Still sidelined were safety Oshiomogho Atogwe (hamstring), safety Jerome Carter (groin), tight end Anthony Becht (hamstring), cornerback Fakhir Brown (shoulder) and tackle Brandon Gorin (shoulder). Safety Eric Bassey (neck) also sat out.

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

Re: Downpour fine with Linehan

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Because Saturday's exhibition game did not sell out 72 hours in advance (by 7:05 p.m. Wednesday), it will not be televised live in St. Louis.
    Yeah that's sure to create more interest among the fans...

Let's make sure less customers can see our product that's always the best way to create sales.

I think it's a ridiculous policy to begin with but that kind of primadonna behaviour especially doesn't fly after a 3-13 season.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Downpour fine with Linehan

Quote Originally Posted by RamOfDenmark View Post

I think it's a ridiculous policy to begin with but that kind of primadonna behaviour especially doesn't fly after a 3-13 season.
    I think it's actually a league wide rule. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it applies to more than us.