general counsel is offline Registered User

draft experts, rams help at linebacker

Can one of the guys on the board that really follow the college game help me out on aj hawk. is he big enough and fast enough to be a first round pick. He sure looks like a tackling machine on the field, but is he a legit first round prospect, ie as good as a jonathon vilma.

Other than jimmy williams, who are the other corners to keep our eyes on.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

LegolasFD is offline Registered User

Re: draft experts, rams help at linebacker

AJ Hawk can be a top 5 pick, He's a little smaller, like 6'1 and 230, but he's extremely fast and rangy, just like Vilma

rampete is offline Registered User

yes, aj hawk is a big, fast guy...during last off-season workouts of ohio state players, hawk ran for the scouts and officially registered a 4.45...that's fast for a 6' 1" 238 OLB...but more importantly, he's has football awareness that all great LBs in the nfl seems to have...

DBs to keep an eye out for:

michael huff of texas
    kelly jennings miami
    demario minter georgia

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The boy can hit, he's a gamer. Chad Greenway at 6-2, 243 from Iowa is a legit top LB also. At CB, Allen Zemaitis from Penn State is intriguing due to him being a 6'2, 205 CB. With Bartell's size, that would make for an interesting tandem later on for the Rams.
    Last edited by txramsfan; -11-22-2005 at 02:14 PM.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Ya AJ Hawk is fast and can ht. Although he isn't a good cover linebacker. Chad GReenway or Abdul Hodge are also good or that FSU Linebacker Sims or w/e. Jimmy Williams would be our best pick though.
    RamsFan16

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I second the Jimmy Williams pick, I'm sure we'd be able to find a good LB in the 2nd round.

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Ahh...LB's. DeMeco Ryans my friends. Great football awareness, greta speed, good in coverage, and great at shedding blocks. He has had an amazing career at Alabama, but he hasn't gotten any recognition until this season when he has just dominated, (Stats dont show how good he is, you have to watch him play to understand) He can play special teams as well, which is always a plus. He's the best LB in the SEC, and considering the defenses that are put on the field down there, thats saying something.

BTW, I personally think that Ryans is the best LB in the draft. Not just because of physical talent, this guy is smart too.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As of the current draft order, Williams doesn't make it out of the top six in my opinion. He could easily go to New Orleans, San Fran, or Green Bay, who all have needs at cornerback. If we want Williams, we either have to trade up or bomb the rest of the season while hoping the other top teams gain some upsets.

Regarding AJ Hawk, not only is he a first round pick, he's probably a top ten pick as well. I could see him going as high as #4 to New Orleans if they rank linebacker as a bigger need than CB. Otherwise, he could go to a team like Green Bay or Arizona, though I don't think the Cards are as likely. However, if Ahmad Brooks decides to come out, Hawk drops down the charts a bit, because Brooks is one of the best physical specimens (when healthy) we've seen at LB in a while.

But back to AJ, he's a very intelligent player who recognizes plays well. He's speedy but also a great open field tackler. His size implies that he may have some problems shedding blocks if he gets engaged by a lineman, but he takes excellent angles to the ball and has a great passion for the game. He's the kind of linebacker you want on a defense like our's, who at times seem carefree and indifferent even when they're getting dominated. Furthermore, he's the kind of linebacker who you're not going to have to sub out when teams go into passing situations, because of his speed, quickness, and discipline.

I think DeMeco Ryans is a mid first round pick, perhaps the second OLB taken in this draft if he can jump over Greenway and Brooks doesn't come out. He can really do wonders to improve his stock with a good combine, and has a lot of the same qualities that Hawk has. He's smart and is always around the ball. Great tackler. He can play in either scheme (4-3 or 3-4) though if he's playing in a 3-4, he'd probably have to move inside.

Don't rule out a guy like Michael Huff as a potential pick for the Rams. Huff could play either free safety or cornerback, and could be used in a role like Aeneas Williams was when he was with the team - play FS in base packages but move to the nickel CB role when in pass formations with Furrey/Atogwe taking his place as FS at that time. Huff is big and is a ballhawk, plus he is going to contribute in run support as well. Only problem is I'm not sure you can take him at #11 which is where he currently are. He's probably more of a mid first round pick, but a good combine could change that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamJackson39
    Ahh...LB's. DeMeco Ryans my friends. Great football awareness, greta speed, good in coverage, and great at shedding blocks. He has had an amazing career at Alabama, but he hasn't gotten any recognition until this season when he has just dominated, (Stats dont show how good he is, you have to watch him play to understand) He can play special teams as well, which is always a plus. He's the best LB in the SEC, and considering the defenses that are put on the field down there, thats saying something.

BTW, I personally think that Ryans is the best LB in the draft. Not just because of physical talent, this guy is smart too.
    Of course he is the best LB in the SEC there isn't any good linebackers in the SEC its easy to say that about him. Unlike Hodge, Greenway, Hawk, or any of the linebackers in the Big 10
    RamsFan16

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    Of course he is the best LB in the SEC there isn't any good linebackers in the SEC its easy to say that about him. Unlike Hodge, Greenway, Hawk, or any of the linebackers in the Big 10
    Don't leave Polunzskyigysorgjjelk (sp?) from Penn St. out of your Big-10 LB discussion.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Considering that the strength of most SEC teams is the D-Line, you are correct. I will change my words here. DeMeco Ryans is the best defensive player in the SEC.

Also, a MLB that should go late in the draft is Freddie Roach. He's a stud against the run and can lay a hit. He's also good on special teams. The Rams could probably pick him up in the 5th-6th round.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.