Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Barry Waller
  • 1 Post By Azul e Oro
  • 3 Post By Varg6
  • 2 Post By Curly Horns

Thread: Draft/FA Blog, After the Storm

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Draft/FA Blog, After the Storm

Now that the top free agents, at least most of the top paid ones, are off the market, and some pro days are done, the first round at least is starting to shape up. It's getting clearer which teams will be backed into a corner in round one, and may have to reach a bit. and which teams are more likely to take the best player available pretty much.

As expected, a couple quarterbacks are moving up in mock drafts, and now three at least are predicted to go in round one. That could become four, depending how much Buffalo's new head coach wants to go get his college QB, Ryan Nassib.

Cleveland, picking sixth, is giving Geno Smith a private workout, leading to speculation that their new regime isn't sold at all on Brandon Weeden.

Will that workout freak the Cardinals, picking 7th, into trying to make a trade with a top 5 team? Without question Jacksonville, picking second, will try to deal down, as will Kansas City, picking first.

Oakland, with the third pick, could force Arizona to get ahead of them to be relatively sure they get Smith, because you never know what they will do, and because they could trade, or even take Smith themselves, with Carson Palmer on the way out of Oakland.

At any rate, the Rams don't care about who takes Smith, or any QB. They just hope as many as possible go in the top 15.

I'm going to say that only one passer goes top 15, and if more do, I will be very happy.

Based on the post combine/pro day so far player rankings, team needs and usual draft position for that position player, factoring second round value positions of strength, here is how it looks right now.

These are the players sure to be gone at 16

OT Joeckel, Fisher, Johnson
    CB Milliner
    QB Smith
    DT Floyd, Luteleilei, Richardson
    DE Ansah
    LB Jones, Jordan

That's your top tier, and forget about them barring a trade.

Here is tier two, four of whom will be gone by 16

WR Patterson
    G Warmack, Cooper
    QB Manuel
    DE Werner
    LB Mingo
    CB Rhodes
    LB Ogletree

I think one of the guards, Patterson, Rhodes, and Mingo will be those guys.

The best player left looks to be a guard, Ogletree, Werner, or maybe a WR if one climbs.

To me, looking at the WR talent, and who looks to go from 18 to 21, I think the Rams would be best served by waiting till 22 and targetting a WR, or moving up a couple picks to get the guy they want most.

I rate both guards over all the wide receivers, and also Ogletree, Rhodes, Werner, and Mingo.

However at 22, I would be thrilled with Justin Hunter, Tavon Austin, Terrence Williams, or DeAndre Hopkins. I might even be willing to deal down a bit if ALL are still there at 22, if I am sure I would still get one of them.

I scout and scout these guys, watch the highlights, the combine etc, and I keep coming back to the fact that I really want Hopkins to be a Ram. They won't get him in round two, but maybe a short deal down from 22 would leave him on the board.

I like his interviews, where he really seems like a humble, but confident guy, seems well spoken, and I just love the way he catches the football.

Having said that, I'd be OK with Austin, Hunter or Williams as well.

If two QBs or three go top 15, it would be a huge boon for the Rams, becase it would mean that BOTH guards could be there, with Cooper even projecting to center as well as guard.

It's possible then that NO WR goes to 15, or that Richardson or Rhodes might even fall to 16.

I love Rhodes, but I doubt he gets past Tampa Bay, the Saints and the Panthers.

Werner is a key as well, if he goes top 15, another player drops.

The Rams, by locking in Long and Cook, probably have eliminated those two positions from round one possibility, unless of course they see Saffold as one and done, and still keep Fluker on their wish list at 22. Chances are he won't get past the Bengals, at 21 anyway, replacing another big Alabama mauler, FA Andre Smith at RT.

Ogletree has off field issues, or he would surely be high on the Rams list, and he might be.

If the Rams don't snatch him, or he doesn't go top 15, I see the Giants and Bears salivating over him, and Dallas could even snatch him 18th, as a value pick.

In my mock draft, figuring one QB, no Werner in the top 15, I have the Rams taking
    G Chance Warmack, but if Werner or another QB go early, they could also get Cooper, who I take because he could project to center, if Wells fails again. Then you cut wells to save cap next year.

In my mock, Patterson and Austin are gone by 22, Patterson to Tennessee, and Austin to Pittsburgh. The Steelers may go RB with E. Lacey instead, since they like getting WR later in drafts, as they did Wallace.

I have the Rams taking Hunter at 22, based on his upside. He's a healthy DX, with a poor man's Randy Moss potential. He's low mileage, and though he won't help the return game, he's my guy.

I think the Rams will have signed a safety and/or OLB by draft day,

In round two, I can see the Rams looking defense, but if one of those other top WR drops, or Quentin Patton, Robert Woods, Keenan Allen they may not be able to pass on them.

If they go defense, the best available guys will be among LB K. Greene, S. Moore,
    C. Thomas, or safeties Cyprian, Elam, Reid, Shamarko Thomas or Shawn Williams.

An outside shot would be a RB, but my guess is they start looking there round three

And as they say, you can't have enough cornerbacks, so that's always possible.
    laram0 and Rammed like this.

Barry Waller

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Draft/FA Blog, After the Storm

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    I scout and scout these guys, watch the highlights, the combine etc, and I keep coming back to the fact that I really want Hopkins to be a Ram. They won't get him in round two, but maybe a short deal down from 22 would leave him on the board.

I like his interviews, where he really seems like a humble, but confident guy, seems well spoken, and I just love the way he catches the football.

So, you are a scout with the Rams?

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    So, you are a scout with the Rams?
    I don't see anything in that blog that merits your sneering. Looks to me like an informed fan sharing his opinion & the latest speculation about what may happen in the draft, not someone claiming insider knowledge or expertise.
    Rammed likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I don't see anything in that blog that merits your sneering. Looks to me like an informed fan sharing his opinion & the latest speculation about what may happen in the draft, not someone claiming insider knowledge or expertise.
    Whatever dude!

Was just a question. The op said he had been scouting prospects so I thought he might be a scout.

Keep up the hatred because it's obvious you couldn't wait to spew some my way. Hope you feel better now.

KoaKoi is online now Registered User

Thanks for your thoughts Barry Waller. I haven't seen some of the stuff you've laid out in other projections and reports i've read. always interesting to get multiple outlooks.

and Ferter? relax. your post was clearly confrontational, rather than an honest question. You got called on it and now its over. Let's all play nice in the sandbox now...

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post
    and Ferter? relax. your post was clearly confrontational, rather than an honest question. You got called on it and now its over. Let's all play nice in the sandbox now...
    It was not confrontational. How does it read as clearly confrontational? It's a simple question and there is not one confrontational thing about it. He said he had been scouting prospects as far as I know he could be a scout. What better way to find out than to ask? How the heck is that confrontational?

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Unfortunately,--at least in my opinion--I think a lot of forums' content can look sarcastic when in reality it isn't. Whether Ferter was being sarcastic or not, he's saying he was simply asking if he was a professional scout (which wasn't completely clear in the original post), not being facetious. So, let's take his word on it, and move on.

Anyways, I think it's going to be very telling of how our offense is going to be if we get either Austin or Patterson (assuming both are available). If we get Austin, then he's clearly going to be in Amendola's role. If we go Patterson, conventional wisdom is that Cook is going to be in that slot position.

I'm anxious for a first round WR like Austin or Patterson, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went defense (safety/lb, or even a stud DL, like how Brockers fell a bit last year) with both our picks. I'm predicting one of our 1st round picks (I'd assume the 22nd pick) will be traded for more picks, however.
    r8rh8rmike, laram0 and Bar-bq like this.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by KoaKoi View Post

and Ferter? relax.
    Oh BTW I guess this is an interesting coincidence but I have been doing research on koi ponds because I'm strongly considering building one.

So, do you sell koi, or do you have some expertise in koi ponds or raising koi?

I hope you don't think these questions are too confrontational or that I'm trying to be a wisenheimer.

Maybe I'm way off base and your screen name has nothing to do with koi fish. Anyways just thought I'd ask.

RamBamThankYouMam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Unfortunately,--at least in my opinion--I think a lot of forums' content can look sarcastic when in reality it isn't. Whether Ferter was being sarcastic or not, he's saying he was simply asking if he was a professional scout (which wasn't completely clear in the original post), not being facetious. So, let's take his word on it, and move on.

Anyways, I think it's going to be very telling of how our offense is going to be if we get either Austin or Patterson (assuming both are available). If we get Austin, then he's clearly going to be in Amendola's role. If we go Patterson, conventional wisdom is that Cook is going to be in that slot position.

I'm anxious for a first round WR like Austin or Patterson, but I wouldn't be surprised if we went defense (safety/lb, or even a stud DL, like how Brockers fell a bit last year) with both our picks. I'm predicting one of our 1st round picks (I'd assume the 22nd pick) will be traded for more picks, however.
    I kind of hope the Rams don't trade away either of their first round picks. Unless, of course, their big board has been decimated by the time they pick in the 1st. Unlike last year, the Rams don't need to replace as many players, but what the Rams do need is more play makers. I know the draft can be very hit or miss, but I feel the Rams only have a few holes to fill and can fill two of them in the first round. Maybe I am wrong about this notion. Just my two cents.

MoStateRam is offline Registered User

Warmack or Cooper would be aces. Austin could be a terror in the slot but Robert Woods could be just as nasty, and he could still be there in the second. I think with as heavy as the Rams went on defense last year they will go all in on offense this year.

Vinnie25 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoStateRam View Post
    Warmack or Cooper would be aces. Austin could be a terror in the slot but Robert Woods could be just as nasty, and he could still be there in the second. I think with as heavy as the Rams went on defense last year they will go all in on offense this year.
    I read somewhere that Robert Woods might have to take the year off due to his ankles not healing properly... apparently he still has swelling and I'm pretty sure that will impact his draft stock

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

The Rams desperately need a true multi-dimensional weapon, someone that HAS to be accounted for on every snap. Austin is the man. The more I read, the less likely I think he will be there at 16.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Some of Snead's comments lead me to believe that they're looking for someone with a skill set that isn't already covered on the roster. Otherwise I think we wait till later to draft depth guys and we focus on offensive linemen and safeties early on. Not knowing how they view Quick I can only assume the WR that brings the most to the Rams is Austin. I'm not a fan of smaller receivers but it's clear the kid has game. Geno Smith probably owes a lot of his draft stock to that dude.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

A Scout? No, but neither is Mike Mayock anymore, or Mel Kiper, ever.

Just a guy who has had media priviledges with the Rams and NFL since 1996, as well as arguably the first draftnik in St Louis, starting in 1970. I have appeared on radio shows sharing my draft insight with H Balzer, Frank Cusimano, Jim Holder, Bill WIlkerson, Bernie Miklasz, and interviewed Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Polian, Marv Levy, Mike Holmgren, Jeff Fisher, Jimmie Johnson, Jack Snow, Jim Everett, Lawrence McCutcheon, Bob Brown, Henry Ellard, Jim Hanifan, and every player who has been with the Rams since 1996.

I don't like to brag about this stuff, it's just a side thing I love to do, and I thought, now that I am retiring from Gridiron Gateway Magazine, where I have written features and draft stuff for 11 years for H Balzer, I'd just share what I know , free to the Clan, which i have been a member of since I can remember.

I have personally drank that old scotch whiskey Dez brings across the pond for the bash. And I always tell him why can't he bring some new scotch !

I just figure most of Y'all on here know who I am and have met me personally, so they know I am full of crap, and some good info.
    Barry Waller

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    A Scout? No, but neither is Mike Mayock anymore, or Mel Kiper, ever.

Just a guy who has had media priviledges with the Rams and NFL since 1996, as well as arguably the first draftnik in St Louis, starting in 1970. I have appeared on radio shows sharing my draft insight with H Balzer, Frank Cusimano, Jim Holder, Bill WIlkerson, Bernie Miklasz, and interviewed Bill Walsh, Bill Parcells, Bill Polian, Marv Levy, Mike Holmgren, Jeff Fisher, Jimmie Johnson, Jack Snow, Jim Everett, Lawrence McCutcheon, Bob Brown, Henry Ellard, Jim Hanifan, and every player who has been with the Rams since 1996.

I don't like to brag about this stuff, it's just a side thing I love to do, and I thought, now that I am retiring from Gridiron Gateway Magazine, where I have written features and draft stuff for 11 years for H Balzer, I'd just share what I know , free to the Clan, which i have been a member of since I can remember.

I have personally drank that old scotch whiskey Dez brings across the pond for the bash. And I always tell him why can't he bring some new scotch !

I just figure most of Y'all on here know who I am and have met me personally, so they know I am full of crap, and some good info.
    Hey thanks for the response. I guess some here thought my question was not sincere.

I thought it would be nice if you could elaborate on your background so we could get a sense of your insight. Sounds like you've had a storied career filled with memorable experiences.

As far as the scotch goes, new or old, you guys can have it all.
    MauiRam and r8rh8rmike like this.