RamWraith is offline Registered User

Draft leaves miffed

by Steve Reed
    Gazette Sports Reporter

CHARLOTTE — After leading the Carolina Panthers in tackles last season, middle linebacker Chris Draft is a little irked that, when push came to shove, the team simply didn’t want him back.

“I had a better year last season than Dan Morgan has ever had — and I get paid ridiculously less,” Draft said Tuesday. “I don’t get it.”

“I had a better year last season than Dan Morgan has ever had — and I get paid ridiculously less,” Draft said Tuesday. “I don’t get it.”

Draft, the team’s top unrestricted free agent, agreed to terms on a three-year contract with the St. Louis Rams Monday night. He said the Rams gave him $1.3 million to sign and he’ll earn the league veteran minimum of $720,000 in the first year of the deal, which means his salary cap hit for 2007 will be $1.15 million.

Draft, who wanted to stay in Charlotte, said he took the Rams’ offer back to the Panthers to allow them a chance to match it.

“They said, ‘There’s no way that we can match it,’” Draft said. “That’s where they are at. I’m not sure where their direction is but they made it clear I wasn’t in their plans.”

In 2006, Draft had the best season, at least statistically, of any Carolina middle linebacker since Sam Mills, recording 111 tackles, 5.5 sacks with two forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. Morgan’s best season came in 2004 when he was selected to the Pro Bowl despite playing in only 12 games. Morgan had 109 tackles that season along with two sacks, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble.

However, the Panthers have long been enamored with Morgan’s talent — and for good reason. Any NFL scout will tell you he’s bigger, faster, stronger and, quite frankly, better than Draft when he’s healthy.

The problem is Morgan is rarely healthy.

In fact, Morgan never played more than 13 games in a season due to a variety of injuries, including five concussions since 2001. He missed 15 games last season with a concussion. The loss of Draft leaves the Panthers with another hole to fill.

They recently signed linebacker Terrence Melton from the New Orleans Saints, but he doesn’t have much starting experience should Morgan go down again.

Draft, who can play all three linebacker positions, came to Carolina as a backup in 2005, but wound up starting 19 games, including 16 last year.

“It’s hard because it’s not something where I wanted to move,” Draft said. “I know there is a benefit to having things in place and knowing your teammates and knowing the scheme. But at the same time, to be appreciated sometimes you have to move on.”

Draft said he’s been told he’ll compete with weakside linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa, who is recovering from off-season shoulder surgery, for a starting spot. He’ll also be expected to back up the team’s other two linebackers — Brandon Chillar and ex-Panther Will Witherspoon.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Draft leaves miffed

The article says Draft will compete with Tinoisamoa for a starting spot. I thought that he was going to compete with Chillar. Does this mean that even when healthy the coaches were happier with Chillars play than Pisa's? I wonder if that is a mistake or maybe the coaches are worried about Pisa being hurt so much last year. Either way it makes our lb corps stronger so I'm happy with that. It also sounds like Draft will be playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder too.
    Just Fix It

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Just put the best three on the field.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I'm for one thrilled to have this player on the team. I think he's going to help out Will and the other guy's out a lot.

general counsel is online now Registered User

isnt it interesting how with all the cash flying around, a guy who made 111 tackles last year and can play all three linebacker spots gets 1.3 million to sign plus the vet minimum. I liked the signing, but now i LOVE the signing. Great job by the front office and coach linehan.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

LARAM is offline Registered User

Yes, this is quite a signing.....Depending on how things go, this has the possibility of being the best pick up......For instance what if Witherspoon or Pisa go down with an injury..This guy may very well end up being a savior and only signed for $1.1 million for the 1st year.......In my opinion great signing

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

He was a guy I liked from the start of Free-Agency and to get him at that price is a bargain IMO..:l

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

very underrated signing. although to really get the most of it the Rams will need big guys up front to keep the LBs free to move around. If thats the case then the Rams can put Pisa, Spoon and Draft on the field at once and let them run all over the shot

marccat is offline Registered User

Dont see him out playing Pisa but if he has a heart as big, we came up! and we despertly need tough backers in Hastlets scheme.I too say,good move!

itsguud is offline Registered User

God help other teams if we can find ourselves a couple of good DL's!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

I really hope that its a misprint that he will be competing with Pisa for the WLB position. I mean, I know it'd be hard to misprint a name like Pisa Tinoisamoa but you never know.

And if that means that we need to see Chillar without any competition I'll be mad.

As Nick said in the draft thread that if Branch falls to us at #13 and we take a Cornerback that the mods will be busy, well if we don't bring in any sort of competition for Chillar the mods will have to ban me 54x's for my comments
    RamsFan16

JRoc is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    I really hope that its a misprint that he will be competing with Pisa for the WLB position. I mean, I know it'd be hard to misprint a name like Pisa Tinoisamoa but you never know.

And if that means that we need to see Chillar without any competition I'll be mad.

As Nick said in the draft thread that if Branch falls to us at #13 and we take a Cornerback that the mods will be busy, well if we don't bring in any sort of competition for Chillar the mods will have to ban me 54x's for my comments
    Since Draft can play any of the three LB spots I think he'll be in competition with all three of our current starters. If anyone isn't getting it done on the field there'll be someone that can step in. As someone else said in an earlier post, "the best players will play".

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I hope that isn't an indication that Tinoisamoa's injuries are worse than we thought. It's hard to believe the Panthers wouldn't match that offer.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post

I still don't get the whole "Chillar is no good" deal. He is primarily used in the base package and this is his fourth season. He can only get better, so let's lay off my guy.

The Draft signing was a very solid one, I'm sure he will be used in sub packages and will provide much needed help on SP.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey