Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By QUINNtessentialTruth

Thread: Draft rewind: Rams' five-year recap/Sando

RamBill is offline Registered User

Draft rewind: Rams' five-year recap/Sando

Draft rewind: Rams' five-year recap
    By Mike Sando

ESPN.com - Draft rewind: Rams' five-year recap

A look at the NFC West's best and worst from the past five NFL drafts, one team at a time.

St. Louis Rams

Best choice: James Laurinaitis, LB, 2009 second round. Chris Long provided the only serious competition for Laurinaitis, although that could change if 2012 fourth-rounder Chris Givens picks up where he left off following an impressive rookie season. A certain quarterback drafted first overall in 2010 might also factor into this discussion down the road. I went with Laurinaitis over Long because he was drafted 35th overall in his class, 33 spots later than where the Rams found Long one year prior. Laurinaitis has never missed a game in four seasons. He has seven interceptions. Conventional wisdom questioned the Rams' decision to draft Laurinaitis over USC linebacker Rey Maualuga. Laurinaitis has been the better player.

Worst choice: Jason Smith, OL, 2009 first round. Smith, chosen second overall in his draft class, started 26 games over three seasons with the Rams before the team traded him to the New York Jets for Wayne Hunter. Smith, who made zero starts for the Jets last season, was released this week. Draft analysts saw Smith as tough, talented, ascending and possessing great potential not only as a player, but also as a leader. They saw similar traits in Aaron Curry, the linebacker Seattle selected fourth overall the same year. Both players mysteriously failed to deliver and I'm not sure how so many people could be so wrong.

Verdict pending: Sam Bradford, QB, 2010 first round. Bradford showed improvement last season, posting career highs for NFL passer rating (82.6) and Total QBR (51.6). Both figures were below league averages, however. So, while Bradford is ascending, he is still barely average. Most of the other quarterbacks drafted first overall played at a higher level. However, among those 10 QBs taken first overall, only Peyton Manning (82.9) and Cam Newton (64.9) had higher Total QBR scores than Bradford (56.1) over their teams' final eight games of the season. Is Bradford about to take a big step forward?

=======

Here's Sando's 2011 Version-

Draft Watch: NFC West - NFC West Blog - ESPN

St. Louis Rams

Best choice: Sam Bradford, QB, first round (2010). The Rams picked the right year to hold the No. 1 overall choice. Bradford made an immediate impact as the Rams won more games in 2010 than they had in their previous three seasons combined. Bradford played every snap even though scouting reports questioned his durability and wondered how quickly he would assimilate into a pro-style offense.

Worst choice: Tye Hill, CB, first round (2006). The Rams could have drafted quarterback Jay Cutler at No. 11, but they liked Marc Bulger and didn't see an immediate need. The Rams moved back four spots in a trade with Denver, choosing Hill with the 15th pick. The deal netted a third-rounder for the Rams, which the team wasted on troubled offensive lineman Claude Wroten. Hill's starts declined every season and the Rams traded him to Atlanta for a seventh-round choice before Hill's fourth NFL season.

On the bubble: Donnie Avery, WR, second round (2008). Avery had 100 catches, including eight for touchdowns, during his first two seasons. A knee injury sidelined him all of last season. The Rams have a new offensive coordinator. They'll probably address the position in the draft. Avery should re-emerge as part of the mix. This is a big year for him.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Draft rewind: Rams' five-year recap/Sando

I see that ESPN's bloggers are still trying to shove that "total QBR" nonsense down our throats.

It reminds me of the scene in "Mean Girls" when the head of the "Plastics" tells her underling to "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen! Its not going to happen!"

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I see that ESPN's bloggers are still trying to shove that "total QBR" nonsense down our throats.

It reminds me of the scene in "Mean Girls" when the head of the "Plastics" tells her underling to "Stop trying to make 'fetch' happen! Its not going to happen!"
    The real question is how do you know and understand deeply a show called 'mean girls.'

Jk

But qbr is very very dumb
    VegasRam, chucknbob and DE_Ramfan like this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

I think ESPN is sort of making them too. I don't like the stat very much at all. Places too much weight on late game plays. You can suck all game, make one good play at the end, and have a higher QBR than a QB who dominated all game and cruised into the end using his RB to run the clock down because he didn't swing the probability of winning enough with one big play. Don't like that.