RamWraith is offline Registered User

Draft, Witherspoon return to LB roots

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

During their time together in Carolina, Chris Draft and Will Witherspoon lined up next to each other on many Sundays. Draft was at middle linebacker, with Witherspoon at weakside linebacker.

But when Witherspoon came to the Rams as a free agent in 2006, he was inserted in the middle. Draft, a free-agent pickup in ‘07, played mostly on the outside the last two years.

Now, they’re back where they started. One of the first moves new coach Steve Spagnuolo and his defensive coordinator, former Panthers linebackers coach Ken Flajole, made was to move Witherspoon back to the edge and put Draft in the middle again. Pisa Tinoisamoa is manning the strongside spot.

“Definitely, that’s the spot I really feel like I can do the most at,” Draft said after Friday’s first of two minicamp practices at Rams Park. “I think what I really bring to the table is a lot of the communication aspects and keeping everybody on the same page, really keep us solid and build that trust.

“We have to be better at being a real tight-knit unit. We gave up too many big plays last year. Right at the end of the season, we gave us some games because of not being confident and being together.”

Witherspoon is recovering from arthroscopic surgery on his right shoulder. He missed the last four games of the ‘08 season.

“I wouldn’t say it’s a hundred percent, but I’m out here doing everything,” Witherspoon said. “If it were a game day . . . probably not ready yet. But otherwise, I’m just moving forward and making things happen.”

All for now . .

schut39 is offline Registered User

Re: Draft, Witherspoon return to LB roots

This sounds alright, but I still wish Tinoisamoa could fit in somewhere because I really like the guy. I could live with those linebackers if we end up not taking Aaron Curry and possibly one in the later rounds such as Scott McKillop.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

It is fine if we want to go this small at LB. This is kind what Flajole did in Carolina, but if we are going to this we are going to need a big NT to take up some blockers and free these smaller guys up. I really didn't want to go with Ron Brace, but he makes alot of sense if we are going with this unit

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    It is fine if we want to go this small at LB. This is kind what Flajole did in Carolina, but if we are going to this we are going to need a big NT to take up some blockers and free these smaller guys up. I really didn't want to go with Ron Brace, but he makes alot of sense if we are going with this unit
    Yeah if we go that way I can see the draft happening like this:
    1st Round - Eugene Monroe/Jason Smith
    2nd Round - Ron Brace
    3rd Round - Wide reciever such as Juaquin Iglesias or Louis Murphy
    4th Round - Linebacker such as Scott McKillop or Jasper Brinkley

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    This sounds alright, but I still wish Tinoisamoa could fit in somewhere because I really like the guy. I could live with those linebackers if we end up not taking Aaron Curry and possibly one in the later rounds such as Scott McKillop.
    Explain to me why he doesn't fit?

This is a new defensive scheme and everyone is learning. Give the guy a break. Everyone has been saying "he doesn't fit" all offseason. Sure it's not his natural position, but damn guys, we haven't even seen him play in this defensive scheme yet.

Hell, Draft could end up being our MLB for this season, we don't know yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Explain to me why he doesn't fit?

This is a new defensive scheme and everyone is learning. Give the guy a break. Everyone has been saying "he doesn't fit" all offseason. Sure it's not his natural position, but damn guys, we haven't even seen him play in this defensive scheme yet.

Hell, Draft could end up being our MLB for this season, we don't know yet.
    Well I think Witherspoon is most likely going to start because he is just a better overall player in my eyes than Tinoisamoa, and WLB is his original position also. They have said that Chris Draft is getting work at MLB so he may be the starter. I don't know if Tinoisamoa would be able to play SLB if Draft plays MLB or vice versa.