MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

DT Hollis Thomas mulls Rams offer

By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

The St. Louis Rams could get some homegrown help for their run-stuffing needs on the defensive line. St. Louis native Hollis Thomas, who was part of two state championship football teams at Sumner High, is trying to decide between the Rams and three other teams according to his agent, Michael Bauer.

Bauer said Tuesday afternoon that Thomas plans to make a decision in the next 24 hours because he wants to get into training camp right away with his new club.

Thomas, 34, has started 123 regular-season games over his NFL career. He spent his first 10 seasons with Philadelphia (1996-2005) after being signed as an undrafted rookie out of Northen Illinois by the Eagles. He played in Super Bowl 39 for Philly against New England to cap the 2004 season.

Thomas spent the past three seasons with the New Orleans Saints, who released him last April 29.

A wide-body, Thomas’ usual playing weight is around 335. Bauer said Thomas is in pretty good shape at the moment _ at about 340 pounds. At this stage in his career, Thomas would be strictly a rotational player. If the Rams could get a couple dozen snaps a game in run defense out of Thomas, they’d be happy.

Besides the attraction of playing in his hometown, Thomas also knows Rams head coach Steve Spagnuolo from Spagnuolo’s tenure as an Eagles assistant coach.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: DT Hollis Thomas mulls Rams offer

I really don't know how I feel about this potential signing. Call me indifferent.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

With everyone concerned about our DT rotation and our run game defense, I'm surprised everyone isn't jumping on board with this. I for one am because I think he can be a good mentor to Carriker and Ryan and will be a good early down rest for the two of them. He knows he's not a starter, but he'll really help us get a leg up in the run game and maybe help get the offense back on the field for a change.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    With everyone concerned about our DT rotation and our run game defense, I'm surprised everyone isn't jumping on board with this. I for one am because I think he can be a good mentor to Carriker and Ryan and will be a good early down rest for the two of them. He knows he's not a starter, but he'll really help us get a leg up in the run game and maybe help get the offense back on the field for a change.
    I agree, bringing in Thomas would be a nice addition. Some fans are comparing him to La'Roi Glover, when it's nothing alike. Glover was a situational pass rusher, and had lost all his pass rush ability and atheleticism. Thomas is a big, run stuffing brute, who is supposed to clog up a lane, not thrash through the line to get to the passer.

I hope he signs here, he'd be a really good mentor, and still a good player for us.
    RamsFan16

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Couple dozen snaps a game? How much moolah are we talking about?

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

after trading O. Harris away... Rams are short one DT than they were in the spring. Hollis seems like a solid replacement for La'roi Glover, albeit more of a run stopper than rusher. but it does seem like he would be a nice addition. heck, its training camp.... i say let him get in there and strut his stuff. if he sucks and is too aged, he can be one of the many preseason cuts.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Think Grady Jackson here folks. Or Siragusa. Or Sam Adams. He is (to steal Devaney's phrase) a big, fat, sloppy tackle. He plugs the hole in the middle. Nothing more, nothing less. On 3rd and short, he is expected to close the door inside. And that's all. No getting to the QB. No dropping in some fancy zone blitz. No twisting to the edge. Just Jabba-the-Hutting the middle.

I'm all for it.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BobCarl is offline Registered User

Any word, is he gonna be a Ram?

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Well according to CSNPhilly.com, Hollis Thomas has agreed to terms with the Rams.

But no official word yet, I'm crossing my fingers!
    RamsFan16

39thebeast is offline Registered User

We REALLY could use some beefy experience in our DT rotation. We are thin on the d-line and he could be really helpful protecting our lbs and in goal line packages a couple snaps a day.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16 View Post
    Well according to CSNPhilly.com, Hollis Thomas has agreed to terms with the Rams.
    Here's the article from their website...

Hollis Thomas Signs One-Year Deal with Rams
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009
    CSNPhilly.com

Comcast SportsNet's Derrick Gunn is reporting that defensive lineman Hollis Thomas has agreed to a one-year deal with the St. Louis Rams. The ex-Eagle had been considering a return to the Eagles, but instead opted for a deal with the Rams.

Thomas, 34, has started 123 regular-season games over his NFL career. He spent his first 10 seasons with Eagles (1996-2005) after being signed as an undrafted rookie out of Northen Illinois by the Eagles. He played in the Super Bowl for the Eagles against New England in 2004.

Thomas spent the past three seasons with the New Orleans Saints, who released him last April.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

On ESPN's First Down this morning I saw a story about the Jet's Thomas Jones and his contract demands. The video tape was showing him slicing through our defensive line in last season's game. I want a Hollis Thomas type of nose tackle to clog up that lane! Get him signed and let's see what he's got.

Go Rams!

shower beers is offline Registered User

Home town + old coach + slim d-line = done deal. I checked the calculator, the figures add up.