Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By RAMarkable

Thread: Dunbar.....Upon Further Review!!

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Dunbar.....Upon Further Review!!

Like many on this board I, too, was shocked at the news that Joe Lonn Dunbar (JLD) had been cut from the Rams. At first I thought that this was most likely an attempt by the F.O. to resign JLD at a lower price and not to have to guarantee his salary for the 2013 season. (Just like they did with Kellen Clemons last year.)

But....Upon Further Review! I have come to some different conclusions concerning this matter. I would like to list 6 points that I believe went into this decision and, also, why I now do not believe Fish and crew will be calling JLD back anytime soon.

1.) JLD had already been replaced at WLB by Alec Ogletree. This meant that he would now play the SLB position.

2.) As the Strong side OLB Dunbar would not be on the field as much as before. This would especially be the case when the Rams are in their nickel which is about 50% of the time in the pass - happy NFL.

3.) Although his tackle numbers were relatively high last year, Dunbar is not good at pass defense. Too many times he let his guy catch the ball for a first down and then tackled him. This is why Ogletree has replaced him.

4.) JLD was in his last year of a 2 year deal. With all the new talent on board it is rather obvious that the Rams more than likely were not going to offer him a new deal.

5.) Although Mr. Dunbar is not old by any stretch the Rams are continuing to push forward in their youth movement, and a guy like JLD would just be taking snaps away from younger prospects that Fish/Snead are obviously high on.

6.) Special Teams. I don't know if Dunbar played STs at all or even if he was any good at it - but I do know that Fish loves STs and he seems to really like what some of his rookie linebackers like Ray Ray, D. Bates and J. Stewart bring to the table.

When you add up all of these points and factor in the four game suspension, it indicates to me that this wasn't as difficult or radical of a decision as it first seemed.

Well, that's all I got....Comments??

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: Dunbar.....Upon Further Review!!

You sure hit the nail on the head ; theres really not much else to say. I surely will miss him, but at the same time, maybe there are better options available...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

RAMarkable, I couldn't agree with you more. I indicated many of your points on other threads concerning Dunbar's release. I would add that we are built to compete and beat Seattle and SF and those teams will have receivers like Boldin, Harvin and Davis to name just a few who will be thrown to in short to medium range plays, where Dunbar is a liability and Armstrong, Ogletree are not as they are converted safety's who can play in space. One final point that I made was Jeff Fisher has no patience for undisciplined players. Witness the suspension of Givens and Jenkins for last year's ***** game.

So I agree with your post and am not shocked or surprised by this move. In fact I went one step further to project that Cody Davis may get taken off the practice squad to be added to the active roster so he gets playing time as well. Not to get too ahead of myself but, watch for Darien Stewart if he can't stay healthy.

Go Rams!

thoey is offline Registered User

Great summation of points RAMmarkable. Think it could have gone in the other thread, but good read...
    This space for rent...

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I forgot, no one can be added as they had a roster exemption for Dunbar. I still feel this team will remain fluid and there will be changes over the course of the season.

Go Rams!

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

no one can be added without cutting someone else, but we now have 1 million plus to work with if we want to sign someone else, right?