Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DX here to stay?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

DX here to stay?

" WR - Danario Alexander better known as DX has made the Rams 53 man roster. He has beat all odds with a bad knee five surgical procedures. "

" Several league sources confirmed DX has inked his name one one of the 53 spots. "

Gilyard is gone. Who else will be? If its Avery, I'll be shocked.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: DX here to stay?

Avery has been cut.

And just to be clear, the quotes in the original post were from Tony Softli's Twitter.

supachump is offline Registered User

I can't believe they let Avery go. Speed aside, he was looking good this preseason and looking good last pre season before the injury. W/ Danario, it is just a matter of (a short) time when his playing career is probably over.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Jeez, keeping dx over both avery and gilyard is a huge mistake imo. He's on borrowed time health-wise and even when he's on the field he drops a ton of passes. So now who on our team has the speed to be a legit deep threat?

SavageRam is offline Registered User

With the intangibles, i can see why DX beat out Avery. Avery has had his opportunities. He was pretty good in his '08 rookie season, but regressed a little in '09. Missed the whole '10 season due to injury. DX has better upside in almost everything... if not for his paper knees... tough choice.

Avery is also one of the few parts left over from the Linehan era... just sayin.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Jeez, keeping dx over both avery and gilyard is a huge mistake imo. He's on borrowed time health-wise and even when he's on the field he drops a ton of passes. So now who on our team has the speed to be a legit deep threat?
    This offense is more of a intermediate type passing game anyway, speed isnt everything to McD's philosophy. I actually do wish the Rams did have a good, fast, healthy WR, but they dont. The best one their over in camp is big DX, he has pushed through the pain like a trooper. The coaches will be very impressed with his heart and courage surely. Well Done Danario, you deserve it.
    live4ramin likes this.

codeman123 is offline Registered User

Danario deserved to make the roster. With his knee troubles, he still gets separation seemingly every play. The biggest issue with him to me isn't even his health, its his brick hands. I thought his drops would of did him in, but it seems his size, speed combination and his good separation won him a spot. I hope he makes some plays this year.
    Avery is the biggest surprise. Its not like he's a health risk anymore, and he played better than any of our other receivers this preseason. It seems like it was Alexander, Pettis, Curry and Avery for the last 3 spots. The Rams needed some specialty players so Curry got a spot. Alexander got a spot, and the then it seems they were too prideful to let a 3rd round pick go. Not only is Avery better now, but he has more upside. His last preseason he seemed in for a breakout year before the injury, and this year he didn't disappoint.
    The biggest problem I have with Pettis is that his play was consistently terrible. I know he has a limited athletic upside, but he has a really hard time getting separation, and he didn't use his body very well to shield defenders. Even when he got put in against 3rd to 5th stringers he still had the same problems. Every other WR on the roster at least played better against worse competition. His only superior asset, his hands, let him down in all 4 games and even the scrimmage. I hope he gets a fire up his ass and tries to climb the depth chart, but no showing and getting a spot would probably do the opposite.
    The only good part about this is that its the 5-7th receiver spot, and Clayton can overtake pretty much everyone when he's healthy. I hope Avery can regain his form and prove he's a good WR. Depending on the team he goes to I can see him putting up good numbers and challenging for a starting spot. I can't stop feeling he'll be a Pat, that would probably be the best team for him to land on.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I would MUCH rather keep Avery than DX. Even *if* DX never injuries the knee again, and that's a bif if, how long of a career could he possibly have? IIRC he has like little to no cartilage left in his knee, something you may experience as a senior citizen. IMO Avery the speed, better hands, and is going to be the more productive WR over time. Bummer.

Trevor is offline Registered User

How do we know if his knees are as weak as everyone says they are. He has had a lot of surgery on it but how do we know if its a problem now? He could probably go 10 years without having any problems with his knees.
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sosa39rams View Post
    " WR - Danario Alexander better known as DX has made the Rams 53 man roster. He has beat all odds with a bad knee five surgical procedures. "

" Several league sources confirmed DX has inked his name one one of the 53 spots. "

Gilyard is gone. Who else will be? If its Avery, I'll be shocked.
    Says who?

Never mind, I just notice Nick clarified the source.

All the best to DX now that he has a more open path to prove his worth w/the Rams.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    How do we know if his knees are as weak as everyone says they are. He has had a lot of surgery on it but how do we know if its a problem now? He could probably go 10 years without having any problems with his knees.

Sorry my friend, but when your have FIVE surgeries on one knee, that knee is just something that just isn't ever going to be the same. Especially for an NFL player, and even more so for a WR. Hell, just a couple of weeks ago DX's knee was bugging him again, and he missed practice, and even the doctors he saw suggested ANOTHER surgery (however minor). Its flat-out naive to suggest DX could go 10 years without any problems with the knee.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

He could go 10 years without any problems with it if he rode in a wheelchair for those 10 years!
    I believe!

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Absolutely no chance. Even if he never played football again he would have continous knee problems. Matter of fact one issue hes having is constantly draining his knee and hes going to have to do that maybe 10 times this season. He was offered surgery last week but declined to reduce swelling.

He may not have another big injury in the knee that requires big surgery, but it will always for the rest of his life be an issue. The best that knee will ever be is probably 70% if lucky.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Alexander has torn his ACL something like three times, which is unheard of. His knee required surgery after he landed awkwardly at the Senior Bowl. He then required another procedure last October after minimal on the field work. He said he felt great this offseason, but had to have the knee drained in camp and then needed an MRI after a preseason contest where doctors advised him to have another clean-up procedure, which he's decided against.

Which do you think is more likely - (1) Alexander's troublesome knee will suddenly completely heal and never give him another problem for the next decade, or (2) his knee will continue to be a constant issue as it has been since he's come into the league, one that will have to be monitored and will affect what he can do on the field for his whole career?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

And yet with all these reasons to keep Avery over DX, DeSpags kept him. So we're forced to reach one of these conclusions:

1. They are completely incompetent.
    2. They purposely want the Rams to lose.
    3. They know something we fans do not.

Me personally.....I'm going with #3.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast