Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DX here to stay?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: DX here to stay?

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And yet with all these reasons to keep Avery over DX, DeSpags kept him. So we're forced to reach one of these conclusions:

1. They are completely incompetent.
    2. They purposely want the Rams to lose.
    3. They know something we fans do not.

Me personally.....I'm going with #3.
    I absolutely agree, HUb. The coaches have infinitely more access and information than fans do, they're the ones in the room in position to make the best call. Having said that, I'm doubting that some of that information the coaches have is that a magical knee fairy arrived at Rams Park at the end of August and wished DX's injury woes away.

The question was, how do we know that DX's knee is as bad as we think it is. Well, the answer is (1) there has been no shortage of reports regarding the various injuries and condition of DX's knee, and (2) the history of the knee and the consistent recurrence of problems. That would suggest that it's far more likely that DX experiences further knee issues down the road, as opposed to his issues going away completely for the next ten years, no?

Now, I would guess that the Rams feel they can adequately manage DX's knee injury enough to allow him to contribute over the course of the season. Only time will tell. The Rams need all the playmakers they can get, so I hope they can successfully do this. But my gut thinks that it's only a matter of time.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I'm doubting that some of that information the coaches have is that a magical knee fairy arrived at Rams Park at the end of August and wished DX's injury woes away.
    You're absolutely right, Nick. As everyone knows late August is when magical knee fairies are preparing for their Southern migration and thus would be nowhere near St. Louis. So, yes, that option is certainly out.
    how do we know that DX's knee is as bad as we think it is.
    We can't know. However, I would say it is the fairest of assumptions to say that DX is living on borrowed time, and hopefully he has Dr. Andrews on speed-dial.

So we fall back to the notion that somehow, with bum knee and all, DX is seen to be more valuable to the Rams than Avery. I don't see it. I never would have guessed that outcome. However, I'm not prepared to view the front office actions as in "error" or "mistaken" as some fans have. I don't feel the front office is incompetent either, so either DX is much better off than most think, or Avery is nowhere near as capable as most think.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I absolutely agree, HUb. The coaches have infinitely more access and information than fans do, they're the ones in the room in position to make the best call. Having said that, I'm doubting that some of that information the coaches have is that a magical knee fairy arrived at Rams Park at the end of August and wished DX's injury woes away.

The question was, how do we know that DX's knee is as bad as we think it is. Well, the answer is (1) there has been no shortage of reports regarding the various injuries and condition of DX's knee, and (2) the history of the knee and the consistent recurrence of problems. That would suggest that it's far more likely that DX experiences further knee issues down the road, as opposed to his issues going away completely for the next ten years, no?

Now, I would guess that the Rams feel they can adequately manage DX's knee injury enough to allow him to contribute over the course of the season. Only time will tell. The Rams need all the playmakers they can get, so I hope they can successfully do this. But my gut thinks that it's only a matter of time.

Nick I like what you had said on an early thread about DX. Why have him sit out the year and wait to have the knee get better when mostly it's as good as it's going to be.

From what I have read DX is one though dude... Steve Spagnuolo said

"I'll tell you one thing, he's a tough nut. He wants this thing bad. He's a competitor, and I respect him for that."
    I think the Rams know that DX is tough enough to play with it and will manage the knee. I think the Rams will treat DX like a vet during the week, his work load in practice will be limited for him to be up for game day. Looks like DX can play with it that's for sure, he really can run by DB's he did it last week twice. Not sure how many plays he will get in games but all he needs is a handful to make a difference.

Like you said Nick the best option is not to wait on DX to get better, his knee is as good as it will ever be, so line him up and give him his shot. We have Clayton waiting in the wings just in case.
    Last edited by Rambos; -09-05-2011 at 04:02 PM.

by Ron Clements - Alexander relieved to make Rams roster
    WR Danario Alexander said getting the news that he made the team was “a big relief.” He said the coaches’ leap of faith in his knee was “a big honor.” He isn’t worried about completing a full 16-game season because regular season practices are easier than training camp practices.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Obviously the knee is going to be a factor at some point, but DX looked pretty agile in the last two preseason games. This kid is a survivor and he's not going to go down without a fight. Heart goes a long way, and Danario Alexander has it in spades. I really admire him and am going to enjoy watching him do his magic, for as long as he can.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Among all this conversation, does no one else find it interesting and perhaps telling that Avery still hasn't found a team?

RealRam is offline Registered User

Totally, totally agree with you HUbison, Mike, Nick, Rambos.

Yes, now it's wait and see. All the best to THE DX.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Among all this conversation, does no one else find it interesting and perhaps telling that Avery still hasn't found a team?
    No I don't, it's still early and Avery got paid by the Rams... He can take his time and find a team that gives him the best chance to succeed.

I think he goes to the Vikes...

So much for my guess: Rumor
    #Kubiak just said on 610 to Barry Warner that he was told Donnie Avery was signed by the #Colts. #Texans

RealRam is offline Registered User

From Rams official website...

Alexander Earns His Way

By Nick Wagoner/Senior Writer
    Posted 8 hours ago (Wed. evening, 09-08-11)

After enduring the at times overwhelming grind of his first full NFL training camp and the heated competition for jobs at his position, receiver Danario Alexander is truly grateful to be a Ram again.
    “It’s a big relief,” Alexander said. “This is my job and this is what I love to do. I love playing for the Rams. For the coaches to let me be on this team, it’s a great honor for me.”

Alexander was one of seven wideouts to survive the final round of cuts the Rams made over the weekend and tie up his spot on the 53-man roster. The battle for Alexander was and probably always will be a bit more difficult than it was for his six colleagues in the receiver corps.

After enduring five operations on his left knee in his career, Alexander had yet to go through the pounding it can take in the long, hot days of summer training camp.

The Rams signed Alexander as an undrafted free agent last year and stashed him on the practice squad early in the season as he recovered from his fourth knee operation. That kept him from participating in camp in 2010.

This year, though, with a full offseason to train and prepare (albeit on his own), Alexander entered camp more confident in his knee than ever. What he didn’t know was how it would react upon practicing in his first training camp and the three-plus hour practices that go with it.

“It was a pretty big task,” Alexander said. “I wasn’t used to coming out here with the pounding every day on my knee. But the knee made it through it, it’s truly a blessing.”

Because of the sheer amount of procedures he’s had done on the knee, Alexander knew that he’d deal with regular swelling and fluid in the knee. At one point during camp, the soreness got bad enough that he had another MRI on the knee.

But after the results showed that he could continue playing without a sixth operation, Alexander returned to the practice field the next day. All told, he only missed about three days of practice the whole time, less than most of the other wideouts on the roster.

“I am always treating it and stuff like that, staying on top of it,” Alexander said. “I am never just forgetting about it. I am always staying on top of it.”

Upon the start of practice for the regular season opener, Alexander finds relief in the lessened on field work load that comes with those practices.

“I am able to manage my knee throughout the year,” Alexander said. “Practice is a whole lot easier than what camp is so it’s a good thing for me.”

Now, Alexander can focus on how he can help the Rams on the field and not worry about where he stands on the depth chart. At 6’5, 217 pounds, Alexander brings an element of size and speed that no other wideout possesses.

Based on his ability to fight for his spot, he’s got the heart to match.

“I am a fighter,” Alexander said. “A lot of guys would have taken a lot more days off than what I did. For me to go out there with a sore knee for several days and still fight through it, it shows what kind of heart I’ve got.”

The hometown favorite from his days at Mizzou, Alexander is looking forward to getting back on the field in a meaningful game against the Eagles on Sunday. He’s also looking forward to seeing one of his old pals and former Tigers teammates, Jeremy Maclin.

Before Maclin became a star at Mizzou, Alexander had actually beaten him out for the starting job. Then, Alexander suffered a knee injury on the same turf he now calls home at the Edward Jones Dome. The duo is now close friends and Maclin is starring for the Eagles.

It should make for a fun Mizzou reunion for fans and alumni at the Edward Jones Dome.

“That’s going to be a good deal,” Alexander said. “St. Louis, for him this is home and for both of us to come from Mizzou we’ll have a nice fan base in the stands. I look forward to it.”
    We'll look forward to your success DX!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12