ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Eagles and Rams Get Four Extra Picks Each

KAPALUA, Hawaii (AP) - Philadelphia and St. Louis will get four compensatory picks in next months' NFL draft and Carolina, New England and San Francisco will get three each among the 32 extra choices mandated by the league's labor agreement.
    A total of 14 teams will get extra selections in the third through seventh rounds, based on the value of the free agents they lost in 2004.

The Titans, who lost defensive linemen Jevon Kearse to Philadelphia and Robaire Smith to Houston, will get the first of the choices, 96th overall at the end of the third round. Denver will get two compensatory choices in that round, 97th and 101st. Seattle, Kansas City and New England also will get third-rounders.

The number of picks a team receives and the rounds they come in are based on a formula that takes into account salary, playing time and postseason honors by players they lost. The maximum any one team can get is four picks.
    Link

Am I missing something? Who does Seattle get a 3rd-rounder for? And why does Denver get 2 3rd-rounders?
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -03-21-2005 at 11:28 PM.

rampete is offline Registered User

Re: Eagles and Rams Get Four Extra Picks Each

the seagulls lost shawn springs to the redskins for a boat load of money...

rams have 12 picks in the upcoming draft. if 6 or more make the team and contribute this season, then it would be a success in my book...

ramhard is offline Registered User

Early what does next year look like?

In looking at next years comp picks (so far) I don't think Claiborne or Coakley count as both were released. So right now all the Rams have on the negative side is Bryce Fisher to Seattle, and wherever Polley signs; and on the positive side Stone. Is this right. So far seems like the Rams would only get a single low 6 or 7th rounder.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams need to use some of their extra picks to find some good candidates for an improved Special Teams unit.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Link

Am I missing something? Who does Seattle get a 3rd-rounder for? And why does Denver get 2 3rd-rounders?
    Denver lost Bert Berry and Ian Gold. Berry signed a five-year contract worth $25 million, including a $5 million signing bonus. He played in all 16 games, and made 49 tackles and 14.5 sacks, earning a spot in the Pro Bowl. Ian Gold played all 16 games for the Bucs, making 71 tackles, half a sack, and an interception - chances are a big part of his third round compensation was his contract in Tampa, a five year deal reported to be worth as much as $30 million. I suspect the two third round picks are for both of them, who were both paid pretty moderate to big money and performed well.

Seattle's third rounder probably comes from Shawn Springs, who signed a six-year, $30 million deal that included a $10 million signing bonus with the Redskins. Springs played in 15 games, making 64 tackles, six sacks, and five interceptions. Hed led the team in both sacks and INTs, only the third player in NFL history to ever do that.

The bottom line is the people we lost didn't perform well enough for us. Wistrom got a huge contract, but didn't translate the money into production on the field. He only played in nine games, made 37 tackles, and had a mere 3.5 sacks. Brian Young signed a four year deal worth slightly more than $10 million, with a $4 million signing bonus. On the field, he played in 15 games, made 59 tackles and 2.5 sacks. I doubt we need to go into why the Rams didn't get more for St. Clair or Loverne.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhard
    In looking at next years comp picks (so far) I don't think Claiborne or Coakley count as both were released.
    I don't believe Claiborne was cut; he was an UFA.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

The Rams need to use some of their extra picks to find some good candidates for an improved Special Teams unit.
    I totaly agree with you on this AV. Hopefully the FO is thinking the same.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

sbramfan is offline Registered User

In looking at the list of comp picks, the majority go at the end of the 7th round, so basically you get first crack at the undrafted guys.