throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Elephant in the room

PARamfan is offline Registered User

Re: Elephant in the room

I said it last year and I'll say it again now when you watch his facial and body language you get that "deer-in -the-headlights" feel about him nothing I see about him on the field or on the sideline exudes "leader" to me and that's what a team NEEDS from it's QB.
    laram0 likes this.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Look, I get that the line is not playing well. I get that there's no semblance of a running game. I get that the players around him are young.

But itís no oneís fault but Samís when he misses a wide open Austin Pettis for a go-ahead touchdown by two arm lengths, or when he severely underthrows a third down jump ball to Brian Quick, or when he makes 2-3 absolutely horrible interception-worthy decisions.

We need to stop talking about what this offense needs to do for Sam Bradford, and instead talk about what Sam Bradford is going to do for this offense. Yes, it's a tough hand he's been dealt again, but he needs to step up and do his best to overcome it and find a way to get this offense clicking.

Elite quarterbacks make plays when their teams need them. This team needs Sam Bradford. He needs to start making plays.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Look, I get that the line is not playing well. I get that there's no semblance of a running game. I get that the players around him are young.

But it’s no one’s fault but Sam’s when he misses a wide open Austin Pettis for a go-ahead touchdown by two arm lengths, or when he severely underthrows a third down jump ball to Brian Quick, or when he makes 2-3 absolutely horrible interception-worthy decisions.

We need to stop talking about what this offense needs to do for Sam Bradford, and instead talk about what Sam Bradford is going to do for this offense. Yes, it's a tough hand he's been dealt again, but he needs to step up and do his best to overcome it and find a way to get this offense clicking.

Elite quarterbacks make plays when their teams need them. This team needs Sam Bradford. He needs to start making plays.
    Exactly.....perfect. Thanks Nick for great summation. I think more and more are seeing and feeling this

general counsel is offline Registered User

He made plenty of plays in the Atlanta game, and had receivers dropping balls and falling down all over the field in key situations. He has balls hitting guys in the hands and then popping up on the air for INT's for TD's. Last night he made a number of bad throws. I get it and i am not defending it. But i see no way to call Sammy part of the problem. He can only throw it, he can't catch it. I defy you to find me a successful qb when his team rushes the ball 19 times for 18 yards and is constantly starting from near his own goal line and is constantly in third and long.

Does he need to play a lot better than he did last night? Absolutely. Can he miss open recievers for TD's especially when we are having such a tough time scoring? Of course not. Can he (or anyone else) be successful under these circumstances? I highly doubt it. There is no savior that is going to save the Rams without a major improvement in all areas on offense.

I am not being critical, and i agree that elite qb's make plays when their team needs them. But my point is that a "play" is typically defined as a throw and a catch. It's not one or the other. If he makes a perfect 40 yard out throw to cook and cook falls down and misses it (ie atlanta), sammy made what should have been a great play, but he can't complete it because the receiver didnt do his part.

I repeat my mantra from 45 years of watching football. The QB of the football team is like the president of the USA. He gets too much credit when things go well and too much blame when things go badly.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Last edited by general counsel; -09-27-2013 at 06:22 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

But it’s no one’s fault but Sam’s when he misses a wide open Austin Pettis for a go-ahead touchdown by two arm lengths, or when he severely underthrows a third down jump ball to Brian Quick, or when he makes 2-3 absolutely horrible interception-worthy decisions.

Yep, Bradford was horrible last night, and has no one to blame but himself. The situation was tough, but Sam had his chances. He was all over the place, inaccurate, threw into tight coverage, could have easily had multiple interceptions (if the one he threw wasn't damaging enough), and fumbled the ball away to boot. Simply not acceptable. As a huge Bradford fan, that is difficult to admit, but it's the truth.

GolfnRAMFAN is offline Registered User

I read on twitter last night that somebody asked if Sam Bradford is a bad QB or if the Rams are ruining him, to which somebody replied that it is the classic Chicken or the Egg debate. I think it is a good comparison and I'm starting to doubt if I know the answer to that.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

i was talking to a friend a year ago and he is a broncos fan. he said bradford is really not that good and to mark is words. well to this day he hasnt been proven wrong. im selling my bradford jerseys on ebay before i cant get anything for them.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    He can only throw it, he can't catch it.
    I'm not trying to discount the drops - the receivers really need to improve at catching the ball and doing their job on a pass play - but drops aren't going to make or break a quarterback's efficiency. Peyton Manning has the highest percentage of dropped passes in the league right now, yet leads the league in QB rating and plays for an undefeated team.

Obviously it would be great if Bradford had a drop % in the Brees/Ryan/Rodgers range, but he still needs to make the best of his situation, which means making smart decisions and accurate passes. You can't blame the missed TD to Pettis or the underthrow to Quick on drops, the run game, or the line. And I know you weren't, GC. But those are examples of ways a QB could be successful in these circumstances, and if this offense is going to take a step to the next level, those are plays Sam has to make.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

This team needs Sam Bradford. He needs to start making plays. -- Nick
    Absolutely!

With every game ... correction: with every quarter and/or drive, Sammy Bee is going to HAVE to make plays! Sure, he has to have the necessary support and all, but indeed, more and more will be expected from Bradford from here on! He does make a play now and then, makes something happen but these are too few, too far in between.

The Rams offense needs to execute more, execute better. Come on Sammeeeeee! Consistency NOW.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

To me, the real elephant in the room would be why didn't Fisher go after a quarterback in the draft instead of Austin and put Sam on notice?
    LA Rammer and macrammer like this.
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

macrammer is online now Registered User

We drafted Sam as our QB savior. I hate to think we were wrong. But increasingly, I am thinking we were, despite all that is wrong with team......It came across loud and clear in the first half yesterday. The numbers Sam compiled against Atlanta were against a prevent defense. In the last two games, he has been less then average. Can he turn this around? IDK...... But how many excuses do we give him?

kman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Horns View Post
    Do you think Fisher is going to get with the times? If not, what would you propose and when?
    when the hell are we going to do the no huddle before we are down by 30 points? that's what I want to know..seems like the only time we move the ball..schottenheimer sucks bigtime

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by kman View Post

when the hell are we going to do the no huddle before we are down by 30 points? that's what I want to know..seems like the only time we move the ball..schottenheimer sucks bigtime
    Unknown. The HC is not comfortable with it. His way of changing things up is a fake punt or some other type of gadget play.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

I said it last year and I'll say it again now when you watch his facial and body language you get that "deer-in -the-headlights" feel about him nothing I see about him on the field or on the sideline exudes "leader" to me and that's what a team NEEDS from it's QB.
    Sam Bradford is overwhelmed at the NFL level. Total deer in headlights as he steps on the field. He reminds me of a golfer who is still working on his swing mechanics while he is out on the course, and after 4 years in the NFL, you need to be reading the defense at the LOS, not trying to make sure you remember what the play is. This, coupled with such basic play calling, makes us one dimensional, predictable.

I actually wondered if our defense may have overachieved a bit last year, and appears that is the case.

Also, is it totally possible that whatever Fisher had identified that let us know if it was a run or a pass vs. nnniners is why we were able to beat them last year? I mean, we really were not as good of a team as them. And Craig Dahl gave us up, so to play them head's up without having that info is huge.

Lastly, my guess is that Fisher really does (did) like Bradford, however, I also wonder how much of that has been that he signed on to a team that had a 60 million dollar QB locked up for a few years, so what other choice do you have but to continually state that he is your guy? If he know's that he is limited with this kid, but committed to the organization that we will live or die with him for a few years, he actually might like to trade him in next year if we are finally in a better cap spot to do it?

If not, and he does think he's the guy and does think "we'll get this thing fixed", i fear we are in for a long ride... but then again, we're Rams fans so I'm guessing I know the answer to this one. Week 4 and we're again out of this thing for what, the 10th year in a row now? Sad.

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    So our next qb is Jay Cutler?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast