Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The elephant in the room

Rambos is offline Registered User

The elephant in the room

The Rams have yet to sign a player other then their own. Are you bummed by this? Where you hoping for a more aggressive approach? Anyone have a theory as to what we are doing are not doing?

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Re: The elephant in the room

There are still some viable prospects out there and I imagine there will be some moves made. No real 'big ticket/difference makers' though. This is really the way the Rams have always rolled. The big name, FA signings have been quite rare for this club. Nothing new under the sun. Perhaps this signals them trying to save a few bucks...knowing that they have to sign two of the top 13 picks in the draft?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I am glad we are signing the likes of La'Roi Glover, Dexter Coakley, and Chris Clairborne to eat up our cap. Let's not push the envelop if you will and make brash moves...
    evil disco man and Torry Holt like this.

Haste is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Anyone have a theory as to what we are doing are not doing?

Most of us wanted a certain safety or corner in FA, so I am somewhat disappointed.

I believe the strategy now is to save that cap for next year and prepare for the short-term future of re-signing all of these young players when their rookie contract is up.

Our youth movement will not be effective if we cannot retain the players we need when the time comes.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Haste View Post
    I believe the strategy now is to save that cap for next year and prepare for the short-term future of re-signing all of these young players when their rookie contract is up.

Our youth movement will not be effective if we cannot retain the players we need when the time comes.
    Bravo Haste, you said it perfectly. The only time you want to sign Free Agents in my opinion is when you are certain that the player will propel your team to a higher level without ruining your existing cap structure.

Last year we added Jake Long to secure the LT position as Rodger Saffold was getting injured too frequently. We also added Jared Cook because he was thought to create a mismatch problem for defenses in the middle of the field in short and intermediate ranges. The year before we added Cortland Finnegan to add physicality to our CB play and be a Jeff Fisher evangelist in the locker room.

This year no player in our price range would have done what we need to get to the next level. therefore we are saving our money for next year when we'll need it and use the draft to upgrade or fill holes. I know its frustrating to watch other teams especially those in our division spend wildly, but we need to draft well rather than patch problems.

Go Rams!

Last minute thought....just 2 short years ago Seattle, the team everyone now wants to emulate signed Matt Flynn to some obscene amount of money....how did that work out for them?
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -03-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

If Jeff Fisher was a first time head coach ala Linehan and Spagnuolo, then I’d probably be more concerned. Given the sources of information available to Les and Fish, they probably see equal and possibly even superior value in this year’s draft. Who and why - we won’t find out until the draft is completed.

The Rams are positioned to take some very good players come May. With the revised rookie salaries, teams have a great deal more latitude as regards the cap, and can afford to take a flyer on a player or two. As to signing talented free agents, part of the criteria should be how a particular FA will fit a team. What impact will that expensive FA have in the locker room, off the field, in practice etc.

To an extent, we got lucky with Saffold, but part of that luck was the way in which the Rams dealt with the situation from the get go. The Rams are an organization on the upswing across the board. It may take a bit longer for our rebuilding to propel us into the playoffs, due to our playing in what is arguably the best division in football. Call it an excuse if you prefer, nevertheless it is a fact.

We will continue to read how this year Jeff and Les will have “no excuses” as the Rams will continue to be compared to other teams that have experienced quicker turnarounds. If Sam can start all sixteen games this year (i.e. stay healthy), we might have a shot. If we don’t make it this year, 2015 looks to be an even better year, as our 2014 draft class will have a year under their collective belts.

So am I bummed by the lack of free agent signings? No, not at all. I will be surprised if we do not sign an experienced signal caller at some point prior to the 2014 season’s opening game. Other than that, I like the youth movement, and I like the fact that Jeff is not afraid to throw rookies into the fire. Live game reps give young players the best chance to learn/experience what it takes to play at the “next level”. I am much looking forward to our 2014 rookie class!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Fans have this idea that high priced free agents are going to turn the team around. History shows it just simply isn't true. They can patch a position of need but more likely than not, they are salary cap burdens that prohibit you from resigning your own talent.

If high priced free agents were the way to go, the Redskins would have won a Superbowl in the Snyder era.

Cortland Finnegan was a high priced free agent. Was it a success?
    Jared Cook was fine - most people think he wasn't a major difference maker. He's gone after 2015.
    Langford is terrific but at his contract, everyone keeps wanting to replace him.
    Wells and Dahl are either gone or are on their way out.
    Jake Long at $10.5 million next year isn't a budget killer for a LT. But if he doesn't produce he's likely gone.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm okay with not making a big splash. I see a young team getting better. Will add a couple more pieces through the draft and then maybe next year we can make a move in FA to put us into a good spot for the next four or five years... Playoffs are on the horizon....
    RealRam and FestusRam like this.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I'm fine with it.

We're going to have a lot of FAs to sign in the coming years. I'm personally more worried about resigning our own guys, rather than getting in bidding wars and overpaying for more FAs. We've got enough monster contracts, let's add a few solid/serviceable veterans and bolster this roster through the draft.

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Bravo Haste, you said it perfectly. The only time you want to sign Free Agents in my opinion is when you are certain that the player will propel your team to a higher level without ruining your existing cap structure.
    Yes. I will give you the example of the free agent signing that did just that: Aeneas Williams. The 2000 drop-off with McCleon and Lyght losing a step made the difference between being Super Bowl favorites and first round wildcard elimination in 2000-2001.
    RealRam and mde8352gorams like this.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Nope not yet...there where some good player available but darn expensive ones. Right now its all about cost verse value...I just really want to see a good second QB signed and there are still plenty available.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Eeeeasy does it.

Good question Rambos! Around this time of the NFL year, i.e., combine, FA news and trades, etc., we sometimes tend to get antsy. All those names coming and going, rumors, speculation. "Hey, what about us!!! We're being left behind!"

By the posts above, it's good to see we Clanmen are selective, savvy. Patient, professional people.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I am by no means an expert on FA's, but over the years I can't think of many we have had any success with. Aeneas Williams comes to mind, but other than thought can anyone else think of any?
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

kman is offline Registered User

Im not concerned. Im almost glad, a lot of overpaid guys, not worth it
    Torry Holt and Warner Pride like this.

Randart is offline Registered User

I believe Kurt Warner was a free Agent as well as Marc Bulger not bad pickups there! I also really like the guys we got the last two years in Big Jake and Our Tight End from the Titans. Even Finny did well his first season, so it is by degrees this FA game imho... Hayes also as well as Langford so they may not be all pros but they are a part of this team so we got some making contributions. I just think this is a quiet year for us as we were not in the top end of money available so appears our FO is taking this thing slow and really being judicious with what cap space we have looking for greatest needs perhaps on the cheap side. Still some time left and I expect a couple more guys to be signed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast