Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: The elephant in the room

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: The elephant in the room

No not at all bummed. I do expect the Rams to compete and this, for me, is a no excuse year. Seems the FO feels we are not really needing that much......

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I look at it like this:

1) this is one of the deepest draft classes in years and we have two picks in the first thirteen. We can address positions of need early and often.
    2) At a certain point, Quinn and perhaps also Bradford are going to need to negotiate new contracts. Assuming they have success going forward, it's smart that we start saving for that rainy day.
    RealRam likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Let us not forget that there will be another period of player acquisition after the draft, specifically teams' mandatory roster parings that occur as the regular season nears. Surely our personnel folks will have a short list of teams' strengths/surpluses - knowing that there will be rookies who shine and edge out more expensive veterans. The waiver wire will likely offer some last minute bargains. At the least, we will have vetted football people making those decisions as opposed to accountants and lawyers.

Stan K., Fisher, Demoff and Snead agreed on a plan of how best to build a winning team when they came aboard the good ship Rams. Though obviously not party to their discussions, I can't help but imagine the time frame necessary to accomplish this goal was addressed. No way can I see Jeff Fisher promising playoffs in a couple of years given what he inherited. Supposedly he chose the Rams because of Sam Bradford. IMO, Sam was probably icing on the cake. I believe firmly that Jeff chose the Rams precisely because of Stan K. Stan is obviously a very wise and patient man. All one need do is review Stan's history with the Rams. The contract clause he insisted on before buying in as a minority owner is a perfect example - knowing full well Georgia wouldn't live forever. I refer to the clause that empowered Stan to step in at the very last minute and match any offer accepted by Georgia’s heirs to purchase the Rams. "Silent Stan" is truly an apt nickname for him.

As things play out over the next couple of years, I expect that the wisdom of Jeff's choice will become more and more apparent. During the interim, we will continue to be entertained by the Jerry Jones, and Dan Snyders of this league. Meanwhile, the Rams will follow the blueprint, methodically, inexorably .. The wins will come.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

The obvious elephant in the room that many ignore or write off as not being that big a deal, are the contracts of messers Bradford and C Long.

Dare I say, our two most overpaid players (market notwithstanding). Long to a lesser degree, but that's neither here nor there.

I understand it's not necessarily their fault that they are compensated far beyond the production they've been able to bring to the team, but it is certainly a major contributor to this slow free agency period.

Since my loyalty lies only with the team, and not individuals, I have absolutely no problem pointing out that those contracts have helped to severely hamstring us.

As a result, we are obviously in limited spending mode.
    rammiser likes this.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

This is the first offseason I expected absolutely nothing to happen, and nothing has. None of the free agents were exciting. Did anyone want any? Why?

Let the Niners and Hawks get older. 2014 is all about the Draft. Cash-in time.
    MauiRam and Randart like this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Jim Thomas ‏@jthom1 3h

Rams get a sixth-rounder and two seventh-rounders as compensatory picks. That gives Rams 12 draft picks at this point.
    Expand

Now if we move back in the draft we could have 14 picks this year. OK that's sound nuts but we could package some late round picks to get back into the 5th maybe the 6th to target a player like we did last year with Zac. If this draft is as deep as they say we could find some late round gems!
    Haste and Randart like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I like our approach or lack thereof to free agency this time around. We should be able to gain a few key pieces to the puzzle in this years draft to hopefully move us over the .500 mark. Then next offseason with the cap expanding and our improved team we will be in a great position to make a splash in the free agency market. Let's not forget this is a 5 year plan but I do think year 4 is critical for Snead/Fisher.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Several sources list the Rams as having 8.9 mil in cap space. So i'm not sure it's an elaphant in the room but rather and empty piggy bank.
    Fortuninerhater likes this.
    Just Fix It

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Several sources list the Rams as having 8.9 mil in cap space. So i'm not sure it's an elaphant in the room but rather and empty piggy bank.
    Pretty sure we need a fair chunk of that cap space to sign our drafted players. Can't remember the number, but I think it'll take a majority of that space.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12