Rams4life1 is offline Registered User

Emails from Jim Thomas

Rams fans,

Each week, i talk with Jim Thomas via email. Thought i would post the interesting ones. This week was about the defense. I asked the questions before they signed Draft and Rumph.

Sent: Thu 3/15/2007 2:59 PM
    To: Jim Thomas
    Subject: Hey Jim

Jim,

My question is are the Rams pretty much going to stand pat with what they have on defense until the draft?

I realize their isn't much out there, but some of the players left are better than the players the Rams have so i don't see their logic. Offense is great, but how can they short the defense? They can't count on rookies can they?

Thanks
    Dave

Jim Thomas wrote:

The Rams haven't exactly ignored the defense in free agency. They've added depth at safety (Todd Johnson) and cornerback (Mike Rumph). They've added a starting DE (James Hall). They've added a quality fourth linebacker (Chris Draft). Of course, they've done nothing to address their most pressing need _ DT. It's looking more and more like this will have to be adressed in the draft, a risky proposition to be sure. I'd still like to see them add a 'tweener pass rusher, as well as another LB prospect and another CB prospect in the draft. Right or wrong, the Rams view the free-agent options at DT as players who wouldn't really help their club. Regards. . . .

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Emails from Jim Thomas

They have added depth, but I would have never signed Rumph. He's just not that good. Honestly, I don't know much about Johnson so I'll let his play dictate my view, same with Draft. Hall, I just don't get a warm fuzzy.

I do have an open mind though, and if they produce....woo hoo. If they don't, try again next year.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams should still take a DE with 13th pick. The running backs in this league are way to good for just one DT to shut them down. However there's a lot of young unproven QB's in our division who I think will cough the ball up if pressured enough.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

jarvis moss at 13 anyone???

Country is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    jarvis moss at 13 anyone???
    I heard Moss did not look great in his pro dfay with the added weight. That scares me that he will never be able to add tyeh weight to be a full time starter.

Has anyone heard how Tank Tylers pro day went yesterday?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm so skittish on taking a DT in the first few rounds anyway. We busted on Kennedy and DLew but Pickett was solid. Pickett left because I feel he was getting lumped into DLew's and Arch's failures.

I'm thinking why not draft a DE or LB or CB and wait on the DT for a later round pick? If it's that difficult to nail down if someone has talent at that position out of college, quit risking high draft choices on it and go with what works.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I was watching "NFL Dead" last night and Kiper's latest board has Branch going to us with the 13th pick. Grabbing another DT in the 1st round doesn't sit too well with me due to recent drafts. I just hope that "Big Bear" rises to the occasion in his contract year.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey