throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tanus is offline Registered User

Re: Emotional homecoming

so RAMFANRAIDERHATER, winning one game would change your complete outlook on the man? thats pretty funny.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tanus View Post
    so RAMFANRAIDERHATER, winning one game would change your complete outlook on the man? thats pretty funny.
    Yeah just imagine if we had won that one Super Bowl game, a lot of Martz haters would have been Martz lovers instead. Funny huh........then again even if we had won 2 SBs some people would still find something to complain about with the Rams.....it should have been 3 or 4 blah blah. :x
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Kudos to Jared Cook for saying what needed to be said about being outplayed and outcoached vs the Cards.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Yeah just imagine if we had won that one Super Bowl game, a lot of Martz haters would have been Martz lovers instead. Funny huh........then again even if we had won 2 SBs some people would still find something to complain about with the Rams.....it should have been 3 or 4 blah blah. :x
    Uh, yeah. If Martz had won a Superbowl or two I would have to look at his record a little differently, of course. Duh. But he didn't, so I don't.

Look, we had the team, the players to win at least three SB's. We didn't. In my book, that's a failure. I guess some of us Ram fans are not satisfied with just getting to the playoffs each year, and are not happy with simply having a winning record. I guess our bar is raised just a tad higher than yours.

If you took the time to wipe your Mike Martz tears away and actually read what I said, it wasn't about ONE game. It was about being a head coach and managing games. It was not a secret, or something "MM bashers" conjured up. It was the hot topic during Mikes whole tenure as HC. I also gave him credit for creating a fantastic offensive scheme and the GSOT, and actually would have loved to keep him around as OC. But with all the bridges burned, that wasn't possible. But you gotta be honest, with all the talent he had, to come away w/o a SB win is pretty much a failure. He was the Bobby Cox or Tommy Lasorda of football, but at least those guys won at least ONE big game with all that talent. You can stand and applaud the man, cry your little heart out for him come game time Sunday, and I'll graciously tip a beer to the man for giving us the GSOT, but I'm one Ram fan that's glad his in Detroit.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I am going to the game Sunday. Anxious to see how the fans react to MM.

Every Rams game that I've gone to home or road, I've left with a weak voice, strained from yelling run the damn ball at MM.

Hopefully this Sunday will be a Rams blow-out and I'll be yelling how do you like us now ???

tanus is offline Registered User

Where was all this supposed talent for us to win 3 super bowls? Are you really that delusional? The entire defense had to be rebuilt after the 00 season. Seems to me that you MM haters seem to forget that defense is just as important as the offense. So I ask again, where was all of this supposed talent? Obviously we had major issues on the defensive side of the ball. Notice how you give the man 0 credit for rebuilding the defense in 01 and getting back to the super bowl, but hey, whatever floats your boat. IMO, our window closed after the 01 season as Marshall was not himself really since then. Should Martz have won that game? Yes, I think so, but let's not go there. How about the players share some of the blame for 3 turnovers and creating 0?

Just because we had an outstanding set of receivers, one of the best RB's of all time, and a QB who was playing incredibly well doesn't mean we have all this talent necessary to win a super bowl. Notice how none of these players mentioned were on Defense. Now, you can argue whichever way you want about this but the money for the team was tied up in the offense and the last time I checked Martz didn't negotiate contracts or make decisions to sign players for a certain price. That is the FO's fault for not leaving enough money to be able to sign impact FA's on defense. Finally they have some money this season and you are seeing the results.

IMO, his only real downfall was the hiring of Larry Marmie.

jkramsfan Guest

this is to everyone who cant understand why this man deserves a round of applause this weekend,just shut up,when martz had this team(gsot) running up and down the field, scoring 500+ points a season and making the rams a team everyone wanted to watch, you were singing his praises like the rest of us,because it didnt end on a high note you guys have nothing good to say, he may not have been the best head coach we ever had, but he made it fun again to be a rams fan, marv levy took the bills to 4 straight super bowls and lost them all, do you think the bills fans would boo him,i think not.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Are you really that delusional?
    tanus, my man, don't bother wasting your breath. Some people just don't like the man. He could have gone undefeated and won every SB ever played, but they will forever see him as the man that got rid of Kurt Warner. I love Kurt Warner, but I'm also not going to be blind enough to think Martz is Satan incarnate because of what happened.

Some just don't like Martz, and will not let facts skew their negative image of him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

Wow. Just wow. I really don't understand how this got turned back into a Martz / anti-Martz debate. Well, not so much how it turned to a debate, cause this is an internet forum, but the level y'all are raising it to. Some of you sound like you are ready to fight.

Martz was a great OC. He was a successful HC. He made the RAMS fun to watch, not just for us RAMS fans, but for the public in general. GSOT...

Should we have done more with the team we had and that great scheme? In my opinion? Yes. Was our achilles heal the emphasis on O and never mind the D ("ah, we'll fix that...")? In my opinion? Yes. Is Martz 100% to blame for the successes AND the failures of the team during his reign? In my opinion? No. Management and the team share that responsibility.

Now he is gone. Just like the Warner / Bulgar story. It's over. Let it go. Just agree to disagree. No one is 100% right.

I think it will be exciting to have him in our house to see what he can get the Lions to do. But I look forward more to see what Linehan can get our team to do against the Lions. It's just another game to me.
    This space for rent...

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    tanus, my man, don't bother wasting your breath. Some people just don't like the man. He could have gone undefeated and won every SB ever played, but they will forever see him as the man that got rid of Kurt Warner. I love Kurt Warner, but I'm also not going to be blind enough to think Martz is Satan incarnate because of what happened.

Some just don't like Martz, and will not let facts skew their negative image of him.
    Come on Hub. I was one of the biggest "Warnerites" on this board. I am not making this Martz return about kicking Warner to the curb. Some just feel that with another coach, with Martz as just an OC, this team would have done more. We'll never know. But that's just an opinion. And as we know, opinions are like...

Never mind. Maybe I am wasting my breathe too. (Can you really waste your breathe typing in a internet forum? )
    This space for rent...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Yes, we can agree to disagree. Afterall, we're all in this together, right?

I know there is one thought we all have in common.

We all want the Rams to kick some Lion butt this Sunday!!

Peace.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It looks like the bottom line here is that Mike Martz will most likely not get a warm reception from all in attendance on Sunday. I would think however, the cheers will drown out the jeers.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Well what a great topic to divide the troops. LOL!! As most of you know I'm not a Martz supporter, I happen to agree with a few of the others on this board about the way the Martz era went down. But no need to rehash all that has been said here. As far as giving Martz a warm welcome back, I will personally raise a beer & say my thanks for the memories, good & bad. But as the the game gets started its time to KICK SOME ASS, Martz included

Long live the Blue & Gold

RealRam is offline Registered User

I think it will be exciting to have him in our house to see what he can get the Lions to do. But I look forward more to see what Linehan can get our team to do against the Lions. It's just another game to me. --Thoey
    Fair enough. I agree.

I'm an emotional man and in response to the title of this thread I partake of this Sunday's homecoming feeling based on fond memories and recognition as well as gratitude towards Coach Martz.

So in the EJD stands I stand, lift my paper cup of soda and thus express ...

"Cheers to Mike Martz!"

Go Rams, Go! GO RAMS!!!
    Last edited by RealRam; -09-27-2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Format

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    Come on Hub. I was one of the biggest "Warnerites" on this board. I am not making this Martz return about kicking Warner to the curb. Some just feel that with another coach, with Martz as just an OC, this team would have done more. We'll never know. But that's just an opinion. And as we know, opinions are like...

Never mind. Maybe I am wasting my breathe too. (Can you really waste your breathe typing in a internet forum? )
    Oh now thoey......do you really believe there aren't those out there who simply hate the man because of the perceived treatment of Warner?

And, I could be mistaken, but instead of "wasting breath", it should probably be "risking carpel tunnel".
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    Show him respect for pushing Vermeil out of the HC position?
    He didn't push Vermeil out of the head coach position. If anyone got screwed in that situation, it was the Rams, and at Vermeil's hands for retiring unexpectedly early. Martz was locked up before the end of the season to succeed Vermeil after DV's contract ran out in two or three years. He was going nowhere.

Without Martz there is no Kurt Warner. Instead, Jeff Hostetler would've been there. Vermeil did not like Marshall Faulk, but MM pushed to get him. Vermeil was on hot coals at the time and had basically given his offense over to Martz after his run-first offense with Tony Banks at QB had proven inept. Isaac Bruce and Vermeil were on bad terms with each other before '99. Don't get me wrong, DV was the perfect head coach for us at the time, as a great motivator and game manager, but it makes no sense to me when people try to say Martz was just "given" all this great talent as if he had no input from the beginning. Hell, he even brought Trent Green into St. Louis with him from Washington in '99. Green's proven to be a good starting QB in the NFL, but at the beginning of '98 he was a lowly third-string QB for the 'Skins.

His record speaks for itself.
    Last edited by evil disco man; -09-27-2006 at 04:57 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast