Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Re: Emotional homecoming

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Yeah just imagine if we had won that one Super Bowl game, a lot of Martz haters would have been Martz lovers instead. Funny huh........then again even if we had won 2 SBs some people would still find something to complain about with the Rams.....it should have been 3 or 4 blah blah. :x
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    Uh, yeah. If Martz had won a Superbowl or two I would have to look at his record a little differently, of course. Duh. But he didn't, so I don't.

Look, we had the team, the players to win at least three SB's. We didn't. In my book, that's a failure. I guess some of us Ram fans are not satisfied with just getting to the playoffs each year, and are not happy with simply having a winning record. I guess our bar is raised just a tad higher than yours.
    Exactly you proved my point, if Martz would have won one more game you would be ok with him, but because he didn't win that one more game he's a failure. That's too extreme.

People forget in 2000 that Warner went down to injury and that really hurt our season, so how should we win a SB when we lose our MVP, yeah we had Trent but you can't just expect him to come in and pick up from where Warner left off.

Like tanus said the D needed to be retooled after 2000, then we go back to the SB in 01. Of course Martz made mistakes, game management, staff, draft picks, but it's not only his fault, and many teams make those mistakes also. To say we should have won 2 or 3 is a little too much, maybe, maybe not, you can't say for sure.

It just always looks like Martz gets all the blame, when he doesn't deserve all of it. No Martz = no SB in 99 and most likely we would have lost Bruce since him and Dick V weren't getting along, no Warner/Green it would have been Hostetler :x So with those guys we prob wouldn't have even made it to any SB.

The whole we had the team/talent argument isn't a great argument, the Marino/Shula Dolphins had the talent to win a SB but they didn't. It takes a lot of things to come together for a SB win much less win 2 or 3, so to say we should have had because of the talent and we didn't win because of Martz isn't fair.

Give the guy credit, he made mistakes, but so did the whole organization. Only ONE TEAM wins the SB every year so to say we should win X amount of SB's is too much, and to blame Martz because we didn't is too much also.

BRUUUUUUUUCE

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    He was the architect of the GSOT, the brains behind our SB win, he made us look a lot better than we were for a while and he won more than he lost. I just can't throw insults at the man for any of that.
    You know I love my man from the far east (If you come to the bash, meals and drinks on me buddy which I hope will be an incentive for your wife to letting you come), but the team of 1999 was a vortex of elements coming together for a fantastic and wondrous season that coined the phrase "greatest show on turf". That phrase, in my opinion, does NOT belong to Martz. It was a combination of a pretty good defense, special teams, a QB that used his Arena league skills to shock the NFL, and Vermeil's head coaching ability to rein in and use Martz's offensive innovation that led to the juggernaut known as the 1999 Rams. However, after Vermeil left, the media tried to continue to give that moniker to the Rams, but it never quite fit the earlier model, did it? I vehemently disagree that Martz made us look a lot better than we were for awhile. The talent of the players and the assistant coaches immediately after the Super Bowl win carried Martz's enormous ego, while the rest of the league was quickly figuring how to defend us. His consistent refusal to change his offensive scheme, believing in his own press clippings that he is a "genius", interfered with properly adjusting players and coaching staff consequently established his legacy as a failure to step up to the head coaching position he stole. Not to mention his curious and outright boneheaded decisions during games regarding play calling, clock management, use of time outs, challenge determinations, and personnel selections with both players and coaching staff when he became head coach. Anyone believing that Martz didn't have a demonstrative role in selecting players and coaches has no comprehension of his egomania and wearing on the Ram's administration as his recommendations he insisted upon turned up failing, time after time. Why do you think the FO got tired of his act and treated him in the manner in which he was in the waning days with the Rams? Other than that, we agree!
    Last edited by bigredman; -09-27-2006 at 07:13 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    You know I love my man from the far east (If you come to the bash, meals and drinks on me buddy which I hope will be an incentive for your wife to letting you come), but the team of 1999 was a vortex of elements coming together for a fantastic and wondrous season that coined the phrase "greatest show on turf". That phrase, in my opinion, does NOT belong to Martz. It was a combination of a pretty good defense, special teams, a QB that used his Arena league skills to shock the NFL, and Vermeil's head coaching ability to rein in and use Martz's offensive innovation that led to the juggernaut known as the 1999 Rams. However, after Vermeil left, the media tried to continue to give that moniker to the Rams, but it never quite fit the earlier model, did it? I vehemently disagree that Martz made us look a lot better than we were for awhile. The talent of the players and the assistant coaches immediately after the Super Bowl win carried Martz's enormous ego, while the rest of the league was quickly figuring how to defend us. His consistent refusal to change his offensive scheme, believing in his own press clippings that he is a "genius", interfered with properly adjusting players and coaching staff consequently established his legacy as a failure to step up to the head coaching position he stole. Not to mention his curious and outright boneheaded decisions during games regarding play calling, clock management, use of time outs, challenge determinations, and personnel selections with both players and coaching staff when he became head coach. Anyone believing that Martz didn't have a demonstrative role in selecting players and coaches has no comprehension of his egomania and wearing on the Ram's administration as his recommendations he insisted upon turned up failing, time after time. Why do you think the FO got tired of his act and treated him in the manner in which he was in the waning days with the Rams? Other than that, we agree!
    Wow, brm, I couldn't have said it any better. I tried, but got tired of debating this. No matter what I said, the focus was on one game, or one superbowl. I guess it was my fault for not making myself clear, but IMHO, Martz needed to go, and I don't miss him one bit on the Rams sidelines. It's funny, those that were probably cursing at the TV while he made numerous game-time blunders, are now the ones sniveling into a hanky and saying what a great HC he was, and how we miss him and his GSOT. But that's why we have these forums, I guess.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Now that's what I call an invitation. Give me a year to work on it Big Fella and I'll do my damndest to get there. I'll pack my hankies too..........

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    It's funny, those that were probably cursing at the TV while he made numerous game-time blunders, are now the ones sniveling into a hanky and saying what a great HC he was, and how we miss him and his GSOT.
    Actually, this describes me to a tee. It probably won't really hit me until Sunday when I see him take the field.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
    It's funny, those that were probably cursing at the TV while he made numerous game-time blunders, are now the ones sniveling into a hanky and saying what a great HC he was, and how we miss him and his GSOT.

Actually, this describes me to a tee. It probably won't really hit me until Sunday when I see him take the field. -- R8rh8rmike
    For the record, I always was a supporter of Coach Martz both as OC and as HC. I was upset by some of his mistakes but was impressed by his virtues as well and, nevertheless, sad to see him go.

Thanks for the -- positive -- memories, Coach Martz. :r GO RAMS!

RealRam is offline Registered User

...Still love ya tho Martz but we can't let u have this one. -- Letsgoramz
    Good one, LGRamz. Hopefully Pace will be fine and ready to go for it Vs. Detroit.

And everyone else too! Whether they played for Coach Martz or not. :r

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

Quit your whining. Martz was a genious. A DaVinci of his time; won't be appreciated until many years later. One basic fact, he brought the Rams out of the dark decade.

I would like to have Martz back as head coach if someone else can pick the DC. Loyalty to friend does not work in the NFL because it is a business. Marmie has no business being a DC. He was mediocre at best; a product of nepotism.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123