Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

emotional tug-o-war

I'm confused on what to feel about this team at the moment. On one hand I'm very excited that the Rams are back on track and starting to win games again. No one likes to watch their team lose.

On the other hand I am upset that we are winning. Our draft pick is slowly moving up the ladder. I want us to take a top 5 pick and either pick someone or trade for more picks. The more we win more the harder it is for us to get into that top 5 zone. This season is done for us. Even if we were to somehow make the playoffs due to our horrible division, we would be out first round. Yet I can't stand the thought of rooting against my own team.

Do any of you guys feel the same way? Or are you all just wanting some wins?

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Re: emotional tug-o-war

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense View Post
    I'm confused on what to feel about this team at the moment. On one hand I'm very excited that the Rams are back on track and starting to win games again. No one likes to watch their team lose.

On the other hand I am upset that we are winning. Our draft pick is slowly moving up the ladder. I want us to take a top 5 pick and either pick someone or trade for more picks. The more we win more the harder it is for us to get into that top 5 zone. This season is done for us. Even if we were to somehow make the playoffs due to our horrible division, we would be out first round. Yet I can't stand the thought of rooting against my own team.

Do any of you guys feel the same way? Or are you all just wanting some wins?
    Better be careful- people are going to start questioning your fan loyalty if you start thinking realistically. I agree- if we're going to play this badly, I'd rather lose and hope to get a better shot in the draft. Even if you don't pick that high, there might be some team willing to give up players or more picks to move up.

RealRam is offline Registered User

A little like being torn between two lovers or having two masters. It does leave room for speculation, murmuring, and doubt. Hang in there Dr. D.!

Personally, I'll always go for a victory in the spirit of Herman Edwards: "You play to win the game!"

Maybe we'll find a fine OL or two somwhere in the draft even if not with the 1st pick of the 1st round.

For now, any and all wins are more than welcomed! :bash:

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

As RealRam noted:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    As RealRam noted:

YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME!

Ah yes, the words of a man who's managed a 54-60 record as a head coach.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I want to win ... period !!! No ifs ands or buts -- draft be damned ... There will be lots of great players available after the top five -- many of them in later rounds. It is the Rams' job (Tony Softli are you listening?) to target and draft them ,...

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Regardless of his record, it's still a great statement, a great concept and something all competitors strive to do.

Regardless of his record, it's still a great statement, a great concept and something all competitors strive to do.
    This true, but he's also the perfect example of how to finish 6-10, get a mediocre draft pick, and finish 6-10 the next year.

This true, but he's also the perfect example of how to finish 6-10, get a mediocre draft pick, and finish 6-10 the next year.
    Would you like me to cite examples of teams that got top draft picks and didn't turn things around? The draft is a crap shoot.

I'll never understand the concept of wanting your team to lose, for any reason.

Would you like me to cite examples of teams that got top draft picks and didn't turn things around? The draft is a crap shoot.

I'll never understand the concept of wanting your team to lose, for any reason.

It's not so much wanting them to loose as it is being realistic that the season is over and we believe that by having a higher draft pick, we improve our chances for next season. I still feel like crap when the Rams lose, but I tell myself it's for the greater good.

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

His record isn't the point, its his quote...scott linehan didnt go into training camp saying " okay guys lets have an unbelieveable amount of injuries this year and lets suck really bad so we can get a good draft pick" teams are always playing hard no matter what
    Built RAM tough

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I have never and will never understand anyone who puts the emphasis for their team on draft position over winning games.

Here's few reasons:-

We can't draft worth a damn. (Read Shaw)

Even if could, there is no such thing as a 'Can't miss prospect', its a Kiper-
    myth.

We need more than one player.

The whole point of football games is to win them.

Wanting your team to lose so that you can bet the house on a single draft pick is far from 'realistic'.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I have never and will never understand anyone who puts the emphasis for their team on draft position over winning games.

Here's few reasons:-

We can't draft worth a damn. (Read Shaw)

Even if could, there is no such thing as a 'Can't miss prospect', its a Kiper-
    myth.

We need more than one player.

The whole point of football games is to win them.

Wanting your team to lose so that you can bet the house on a single draft pick is far from 'realistic'.

Teams are built through the draft- I also read that Shaw is thinking of hiring a real GM next season- which I think will benefit us in the draft if we don't hire some loser. Also, the higher draft pick you get, the higher trade value they are. You're telling me you wouldn't like to trade down for more draft picks? I also keep hearing people saying they rather pick later in the draft- what late round diamonds in the rough have we taken in the past few years? If you look at our past several drafts, the only guys that have been any good are guys taken high.

It's not so much wanting them to loose as it is being realistic that the season is over and we believe that by having a higher draft pick, we improve our chances for next season. I still feel like crap when the Rams lose, but I tell myself it's for the greater good.
    We definitely look at this differently. It's just not in my nature to want to lose or even attempt to put a pragmatic spin on it. A loss is to be avoided at all costs as far as I'm concerned.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
    Vince Lombardi
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast