Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: empty seats in the dome

gc, i agree it looked bad ,but why would you pay $44 a seat to watch steven jackson run the ball 5 times and then stand on the sidelines with his hat on sideways or watch bulger pass 6 times and then stand there with a headset,the nfl needs to make all preseason games $20 each game period.if they are allowed to raise prices for the playoffs,sometimes double,they sure can lower meaningless pre season games.gc, i know if we lived in st. louis we would go to every game regardless of when it was.the rams should have given the tickets away to kids to at least get more people in the seats.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -08-11-2006 at 06:55 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I agree with jk, I don't blame the fans one bit for not showing up. The tickets are over priced, plus you also have to pay for parking. What are you getting for the money you are spending? Not much unless you want to watch backups. The game also being on a Thursday didn't help the attendance.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

general counsel is offline Registered User

you guys are missing my point. all but 5000 of the tickets were ALREADY SOLD to season ticket holders. If they didnt want to use the tix, why didnt they give them away for free. Plenty of people cant afford to go during the regular season, you would think that they would want to go. The lack of enthusiasm and demand for people to take the tix for free is what i am focusing on in large part. Half the stadium was empty guys. Ever see half the stadium empty in green bay?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

CanadianRam! is offline Registered User

It was very disappointing to say the least...i thought more people would have shown up to support Linehan in his first game but the interest just isn't there yet. The dome was like a graveyard once again and it was embarassing since especially because it was a nationally broadcasted game.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    you guys are missing my point. all but 5000 of the tickets were ALREADY SOLD to season ticket holders. If they didnt want to use the tix, why didnt they give them away for free. Plenty of people cant afford to go during the regular season, you would think that they would want to go. The lack of enthusiasm and demand for people to take the tix for free is what i am focusing on in large part. Half the stadium was empty guys. Ever see half the stadium empty in green bay?

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I get your point, but how many single game tickets were sold/available to be sold? I don't know the numbers of how many season tickets there are compared to single game tickets. Do season ticket holders get pre season tix for free or at a discount because they are season ticket holders? If that is the case I still contend that paying a ridiculous amount for parking and the game being on a Thursday night had something to do with the lack of attendance, not as much if the tickets were already sold, but still has a negative effect.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

bigredman is offline Registered User

you guys are missing my point. all but 5000 of the tickets were ALREADY SOLD to season ticket holders. If they didn't want to use the tix, why didn't they give them away for free. Plenty of people cant afford to go during the regular season, you would think that they would want to go. The lack of enthusiasm and demand for people to take the tix for free is what i am focusing on in large part. Half the stadium was empty guys. Ever see half the stadium empty in green bay?
    Have to agree with GC here. The one thing I admired about teams like Cleveland, Denver, Green Bay, Buffalo, Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City, New England, New York, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh is their fan loyalty and attendance. Preseason or not, those folks were there yelling and screaming as if it were the Super Bowl. Unfortunately, St. Louis being the baseball town that it is, the Rams don't get that same intensity from their fans.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Even the Georgia Dome is near full for the Pats/Falcons game tonight. In Atlanta, by far the worst sports city in the country...

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

I have a couple of questions for the locals. Isn't the Ed a new stadium? They built it in hopes of getting a team in the early 90's, but didn't get an expansion team right? It seems like it should be a fairly modern building. Also, have they always sold out the pre-season games there? It wouldn't be unusual to see empty seats here during pre-season, but this LA, Capitol of Apathy! Why did they build a dome there anyway, is that cold there in the winter?

Two notes to also throw out there, you canít compare any other team to the Pack. When I went back there two years ago I learned just how much their fans love that team. When you have a 60 year old waitress serving you in a Bart Starr jersey, you get the understanding! As far as price goes, $44 bucks is pretty decent compared to the $74 each I spent for Packers v. Chargers in San Diego tomorrow! Anyway, if you guys get tired of our Rams, ship them back here, we might actually have a new stadium someday...NOT!

Joe

season ticket holders get no discount, they are required to buy pre season in order to get regular season. Last i read, there are less than 10,000 seats in the dome sold as single game tickets, the rest are season tickets. The point still remains the same. 60,000 tickets were sold for the game and about 30,000 people showed up.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

ok gc i think i understand your point now,60,000 tickets had been sold and only about 30,000 people were there,so what else did they do,the cardinals played a day game on thursday and it was away i believe,i dont know,if i was in st. louis i would have gone even if it was preseason.

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe
    I have a couple of questions for the locals. Isn't the Ed a new stadium? They built it in hopes of getting a team in the early 90's, but didn't get an expansion team right? It seems like it should be a fairly modern building. Also, have they always sold out the pre-season games there? It wouldn't be unusual to see empty seats here during pre-season, but this LA, Capitol of Apathy! Why did they build a dome there anyway, is that cold there in the winter?
    Bill Bidwell wanted a new stadium, when he didn't get one, he moved to ARZ in 1988. The expansion group (Walter Payton was a part of that) campaigned for a new NFL team in the early 90's. They even came up with a new team called the Stallions, but that failed (thank God). The construction of the dome started in circa 1992 or 1993. The Sheraton hotel and Greyhound station used to occupy the site. No, preseason games have never been sold out, but the crowds are too lackidasical... The winter is brutal in STL...
    Last edited by GreatestShow99; -08-12-2006 at 01:49 PM.

season ticket holders get no discount, they are required to buy pre season in order to get regular season. Last i read, there are less than 10,000 seats in the dome sold as single game tickets, the rest are season tickets. The point still remains the same. 60,000 tickets were sold for the game and about 30,000 people showed up.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Fair enough, I never knew the breakdown of single game tix compared to season tix.

Maybe the Rams shouldn't make the season ticket holders buy pre season tix. I would bet that more people would show up. Think about it, you're a season ticket holder and get to see the "REAL" games. I can sort of see why they wouldn't go to a pre season game, especially because it's on a work night. Of course the other argument is that the fans should show up to support the team, but I don't blame the season ticket holders as much for not showing up because they are forced to buy pre season tickets.

If the Rams/NFL offer those tickets at a decent discount (which they should be anyways) to fans who would never be able to afford a regular season game, they would fill the dome with no problem. Get some kids out there who could use a good time because they are down on their luck or whatnot.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

The reason that every nfl team makes its season ticket holders buy preseason (as is done in every other sport that i know of as well) is because they can. People wouldnt buy the tickets at full price for a preseason game and as a result, they are less concerned with how many people show up than how many tickets they sell.

What is outrageous behavior by the owners (but again, the market accepts it and i am a free market go so be it) is that they charge the same price for preseason when it is clearly an inferior product. they charge MORE for playoffs because its a better product, but not less when the starters are going to play very little.

The economics dont make sense for the owners to charge less and thats what they care about. they sold 60 thousand seats at full price, only 5000 were unsold. thus, why cut prices?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I know why they make season ticket holders buy pre season tickets.

Sometimes people need to come before economics.

Like you said the owners don't care if the stadium is full, because the seats are already sold. Why should we criticize people who were forced to buy tickets that many obviously didn't want. The other argument is people should have given their pre season tix away to friends, but sometimes that's more of a hassle than actually going to the game. The Rams could step in a little and set up something where people can donate their pre season tix to specific organizations if they don't want to use them. That way everyone wins, the tix were sold, and the seats are filled, and some lucky people get to see an NFL game where they would probably not be able to otherwise.

BRUUUUUUUUCE

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

We can talk about price, we can talk about 2nd and 3rd stringers, we can talk about anything you want, but those can be said of every other team as well. It's all equal, and with that, I've yet to see another game with as lackluster a crowd as what we had at the ED on Thursday.

Embarassing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast