Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: empty seats in the dome

St. Louis fans are a little down on the Baseball Cardinals right now and just suffered under the Blues dismal season. In addition, I think that fans are taking a wait and see approach to what the Linehan era will bring after the rollercoaster ride under Martz. I think that once the heat of summer subsides, then they will come around and support the team. At least I hope that they will.
    Regardless, it was a pathetic showing of support, both in numbers and enthusiasm, by the fans...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

ramsbruce is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    We can talk about price, we can talk about 2nd and 3rd stringers, we can talk about anything you want, but those can be said of every other team as well. It's all equal, and with that, I've yet to see another game with as lackluster a crowd as what we had at the ED on Thursday.

Embarassing.
    I just don't see it HUb. I can't see criticizing people who had to buy pre season tickets in order to get their season tickets. Maybe every other stadium will be full for the pre season, maybe not, but I still can't criticize people who had to buy those tix to get season tix.

Like I said earlier, the Rams should set something up so that people can donate their pre season tix if they aren't going to use them. Everybody wins by doing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Second half adjustments. Make some!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Ramsbruce, you are 100% correct. if people dont want to go, they should be able to give the tix back to the rams who can donate them to boys clubs or some other worthy charity. I have no doubt that there are many people who would go for free or a nominal fee if they had the opportunity.

Nevertheless, hubison is still right on. at the end of the day, every team in the nfl has exactly the same situation and we are at the bottom of the heap in terms of attendance in week one and that is unfortunate.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Ramsbruce, you are 100% correct. if people dont want to go, they should be able to give the tix back to the rams who can donate them to boys clubs or some other worthy charity. I have no doubt that there are many people who would go for free or a nominal fee if they had the opportunity.

Nevertheless, hubison is still right on. at the end of the day, every team in the nfl has exactly the same situation and we are at the bottom of the heap in terms of attendance in week one and that is unfortunate.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Unfortunate is a good word to use, and it is true. I did see the words pathetic and embarassing used, that's where I say we shouldn't criticize fans who are forced into buying pre season tix to get season tix, regardless if every other stadium is full for pre season or not. I don't think it's fair to criticize/blame fans for not showing up after being forced into buying pre season tix.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Thanks greatest. It seems like the stadium should be modern enough to attract fans, especially if you have ever had the displeasure of sitting in the coliseum for a Raiders game!! It amazes me though that St. Louis is worse weather wise than say Buffalo, Green Bay or Denver and that it had to have a dome. Oh well, don't want to hijack this post, I'll just say that most fans these days have many options with technology that keeps them home as well. With my big screen and Direct TV, it's like I have season tickets already! I am really looking forward to the bash to St Louis myself!

Joe

Almost forgot, I am about to spend 3-4 hours driving to San Diego to watch the Pack vs. the bolts, wish me luck on the freeway!
    Last edited by MoonJoe; -08-12-2006 at 05:50 PM.

bigredman is offline Registered User

I guess I'll throw my two cents in. Nobody is "forcing" season ticket holders to buy preseason tickets. They have ALWAYS been part of the season ticket package as long as I can remember. Don't feel sorry for season ticket holders. Many of the NFL season ticket holders are rich, I'm there to be seen and flaunt my wealth to my friends kind of fans nowadays. They could care less eating the cost of a few preseason seats (I know a few business owners who have 2, 4, and 8 different blocks of seats that they own season tickets for whiner or faiders they use to grease clients and friends).

I have season tickets for our local professional hockey team. I can't go every night they are in town, so I try to sell them, sometimes give them away, sometimes they go to waste. Now you would think anyone would jump at the chance to have free tickets. Not so fast. Weeknight, game starts at 7 PM, gas isn't cheap these days and the traffic into and out of the dome on game day is brutal (which means you get home around 11:30 PM, parking is $25, concessions are ridiculous for anyone on a tight budget, so just handing over tickets to poor kids isn't always feasible.

I would love the Rams to have the kind of fans there locally that are on here, but I also wish I looked like George Clooney. Some things are closer to becoming reality than others!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman
    I guess I'll throw my two cents in. Nobody is "forcing" season ticket holders to buy preseason tickets. They have ALWAYS been part of the season ticket package as long as I can remember. Don't feel sorry for season ticket holders. Many of the NFL season ticket holders are rich, I'm there to be seen and flaunt my wealth to my friends kind of fans nowadays. They could care less eating the cost of a few preseason seats (I know a few business owners who have 2, 4, and 8 different blocks of seats that they own season tickets for whiner or faiders they use to grease clients and friends).

I have season tickets for our local professional hockey team. I can't go every night they are in town, so I try to sell them, sometimes give them away, sometimes they go to waste. Now you would think anyone would jump at the chance to have free tickets. Not so fast. Weeknight, game starts at 7 PM, gas isn't cheap these days and the traffic into and out of the dome on game day is brutal (which means you get home around 11:30 PM, parking is $25, concessions are ridiculous for anyone on a tight budget, so just handing over tickets to poor kids isn't always feasible.

I would love the Rams to have the kind of fans there locally that are on here, but I also wish I looked like George Clooney. Some things are closer to becoming reality than others!
    In a sense they are being forced. You can't opt out of pre season tix and still get season tix, so you HAVE to take them. Now I don't see anything wrong with people who have to take pre season tix that they most likely didn't want not going to the game. I don't see those people as pathetic or as fairweather fans as previously stated in this thread.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading here!

"It was a pre-season game"
    "Would you pay $44 to see Jackson carry 5 times?"
    "St. Louis is a baseball town"
    "the stadium sucks"
    "can you blame them after so many bad years, yada, yada, yada..."

Well my fellow Ram fans in St Louis, if you don't want to support your team, we'd be glad to have them back in Anahiem. (at least I would) These were some of the same excuses, or, should I say reasons that were given during the Rams final years in Anahiem. But then, everyone said it was because LA fans (OC) are poor fans. What a bunch of cr*p. Funny how people forget. We warned Madam Ram when she stole the team from us that the St. Louis fans would support the team for only a short while, and only as long as you won. Just like we did in LA. History repeats itself again. Should I mention the Cardinals? If St. Louis fans were so supportive, why did they leave? Bidwell? Stadium? Baseball? Come on St. Louis, preseason or not, you gotta support your team or Madam Ram may take the show on the road. Again. I'm so disappointed, but not surprised.

I think some people are overreacting. So the Dome was half empty (or more) on a Thursday night for a pre season game. I don't think it's that big of a deal. It doesn't mean the fans don't care, it doesn't mean much of anything right now. Those fans who didn't show up aren't pathetic, and aren't fairweather fans. Now on the flipside if the dome is empty on a Sunday for a regular season game feel free to blast those fans who didn't go (I will be right there with you questioning fan support), but for a pre season game on a Thursday night, it's not a big deal.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It's just like any other city during pre-season. Back when they were in LA, the home pre-season games were usually blacked out. Hell, even the Charger vs GB game tonight was blacked out.

Not to worry, I'm sure opening day will be packed.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Oh, I'm not worried. What can happen? The Rams will be my team no matter where they are. If I can still be a Ram fan after what they did, (move away) I guess I always will be. Let's hope for the St. Louis folks that they DO pack in the stadium when the real season begins. I know that I'm going to make the trip down to San Diego in October when the two teams meet. It'll be fun to watch the "past" LA team (Rams) and the future LA team (Chargers) meet. LOL! Yes, I think San Diego has a good chance of moving up here. When LA gets another football team, it'll be a relocation, and not a new team, I'm quite sure. Hmmm, could I change my horns in for a lightning bolt? .....nah. I wonder if there is anyway to get tickets to a Rams/Cardinals game? I know they've sold out all home games this year because of the new stadium, but I wonder if tickets can still be had? It's only a 5-6 hour drive from here...

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER
    Wow, I can't believe what I'm reading here!

"It was a pre-season game"
    "Would you pay $44 to see Jackson carry 5 times?"
    "St. Louis is a baseball town"
    "the stadium sucks"
    "can you blame them after so many bad years, yada, yada, yada..."

Well my fellow Ram fans in St Louis, if you don't want to support your team, we'd be glad to have them back in Anahiem. (at least I would) These were some of the same excuses, or, should I say reasons that were given during the Rams final years in Anahiem. But then, everyone said it was because LA fans (OC) are poor fans. What a bunch of cr*p. Funny how people forget. We warned Madam Ram when she stole the team from us that the St. Louis fans would support the team for only a short while, and only as long as you won. Just like we did in LA. History repeats itself again. Should I mention the Cardinals? If St. Louis fans were so supportive, why did they leave? Bidwell? Stadium? Baseball? Come on St. Louis, preseason or not, you gotta support your team or Madam Ram may take the show on the road. Again. I'm so disappointed, but not surprised.
    Please don't lump every STL fan into that group. I, for one, was extremely glad when the NFL came back to STL. I'm a Cardinals fan first, but also a football fan. I remember watching the football Cardinals and other teams play on TV after they left and wondered when the NFL would ever come back to town. Even if the Rams hadn't won a championship and advanced to the SB again in 3 yrs, I still would've supported them.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Bidwell left because he wanted a new stadium...

I doubt the Rams would leave again, they have a 30-year lease on the ED, they aren't going anywhere.

And its not like the fans in STL haven't supported the team. Every Ram regular-season game has been sold out since they arrived in 1995...
    Last edited by GreatestShow99; -08-13-2006 at 12:24 PM.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

3 and half hours to get to San Diego yesterday, an old lady flung her car door open hitting my jeep in the parking lot after almost running into me. Nose bleed seats and my brother ate two of the tickets because two friends tanked on him. We had the drunken San Diego fan in front of us who spent most of the time whistling very loudly and with his back to the game yelling at girl Packer fan who spent the night screaming. But during this storm of activity I looked around at one point with the noise, spilt beer, irritating people and the game of football happening right in front of me and I realized that I love this game!

On the packed trolley back to the parking lot a Charger fan looked around and looked at me and said "You know, two years ago when we weren't winning, this trolley was empty, or at least every one had their own seat". I think that statement holds true for most teams, with a few exceptions like the Packers or Browns. If you ain't winning, people will find other things to do.

Joe

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

Exactly, Joe. Winning cures everything. As bad as the football Cardinals were in STL, the fans showed up. This holds true for the Rams between 1995-98.

GameTime is offline Registered User

Okay, First let me preface this with the fact that I am a PSL owner and I went to the first quarter of the game.

I am not rich, so I feel like I get screwed by paying full price for a preseason ticket. However, if playoff tickets were the normal season price, i would not complain. but if you can say that playoff tickets are more important therefore we should charge more, then you have to go the same way with preseason and sell for less.

As far as giving them away. No one wants them. Every real NFL fan knows that the games are meaningless and dont want to buy them. I couldnt sell them if i wanted to, i would feel bad.

But I went to the game and paid 20 bucks to park, 15 on a brat and soda. that comes to $79 for 1 quarter of preseason football. To make it more fun when i got to my truck, i was blocked in the lot and had to wait 30 minutes for someone to come and move thier car.

As far as fair weather fans, you are absolutely correct. but just like every Iraqi is not a terrorist, not all psl holders are fair weather.

During regular season games, there are fans that leave after halftime. or if we are down by 14pts in the 4th quarter. It is a baseball town first, but I am doing my best to make the town both.

I just signed up for the bash and will be bringing a couple of fellow friends and psl holders, who are not rich, so see you there.

Lets go RAMS

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast